Sign in with
Your question

1GB vs 2GB of Video RAM

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2012 3:03:48 PM

Hello, tomshardware people i am wondering for compileing and running blender with cycles, rendering in blender, rendering in 3DMAX!, running photoshop and other applications like those will i see any differnece in haveing a 2GB card over a 1GB version of the same card?

More about : 1gb 2gb video ram

a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 4:07:28 PM

yes the more the better expecially on high resolutions
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:24:49 PM

Frame buffer RAM is mostly used for frame storage. That means your rendering is actually using the CPU and system RAM unless it's specifically programed to use the video RAM. I'm not completely sure but more video ram is only used for higher resolution video output.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 5:48:33 PM

zdbc13 said:
Frame buffer RAM is mostly used for frame storage. That means your rendering is actually using the CPU and system RAM unless it's specifically programed to use the video RAM. I'm not completely sure but more video ram is only used for higher resolution video output.

Agreed. More system RAM will be more beneficial for rendering, whereas you'd want more V-RAM for higher res's, and higher graphic settings in games (anti-aliasing is especially a V-RAM beast).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:25:52 PM

yes, get the same card you're looking at with twice the ram
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:37:15 PM

depends on what card we are talking about.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:47:51 PM

More RAM (system and video) is always better !!!! but with diminishing returns. Go with your budget, and get the most you can afford....
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:53:02 PM

2 gigabytes seems to be the sweet spot with most single monitor setups. Ram usage in a game like BF3 can get near 1.5 GB's of RAM.

In terms of system memory for rending/editing 16 gigabytes seems to be where most people tend to sit at. I think beyond that you could access the situation and see if you needed more some end up with 32 gigabytes on the higher end. I'm just not sure how much system usage you are currently using up.

And I agree with ZDBC13 that its best to get the best with what you can afford.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:58:47 PM

zdbc13 said:
More RAM (system and video) is always better !!!! but with diminishing returns. Go with your budget, and get the most you can afford....

^Dito that.^ MOAR IZ BETTUR (until ur broke!). ^^
m
l
!