Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on my build? It's extreme. Don't judge me.

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2013 5:58:22 AM

Hey guys! I'm saving up for a beauty of a pc build, and I want everyone's opinions. And yeah. It's a 3970X build. Get over it.

Specs:
CASE: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
HDD: WD Green 1TB intellipower HDD x2 (raid 0)
HDD BACKUP: WD Green 2TB intellipower HDD (raid 1)
BLURAY: LG Black 10x BD ROM Combo Drive
DVD: LG 24x Bare Drive DVD Burner
GPU: MSI N660Ti 2GD5 OC x2 WITH: Arctic Accelero Hybrid VGA Cooler x2
SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence STX 7.1
PSU: Cougar CMX 1000 1000W PSU
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB 8x8GB 1866MHZ DDR3 Memory
MOBO: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX Board
CPU: Intel I7 3970X Extreme Edition 6 Core Proccessor
COOL: Corsair Hydro H100i Watercooler

So what do you think? System fit for a nut job?

Also, will putting the Bluray and DVD drives on SATA 2 make any difference to quality? I don't usually rip/burn so speed doesn't bother me, but one is bluray so what? If it does make a big difference, then could anyone recommend any sort of splitter etc. I could use? This is going to be a big build, and I don't want anything going wrong!
January 21, 2013 6:02:46 AM

build seems a little nuts at first glance. what are you building the machine for? what are you using for a monitor?
January 21, 2013 6:10:10 AM

660 isnt the best card for sli....

670 is :) 
Related resources
January 21, 2013 6:15:06 AM

Yeah, wouldn't recommend that build to anyone.
January 21, 2013 6:15:40 AM

swifty_morgan said:
build seems a little nuts at first glance. what are you building the machine for? what are you using for a monitor?

Well, first off, I'm what some would call an enthusiast. Others would call me a nerd. Others still would call me obsessive. Basically I want something to record crappy YouTube vids on whilst rendering crappy YouTube vids. And I want something that is fairly futureproof and break-proof. Hence the water cooling and the giant case with 8 built in fans - no overheats. I need it to be able to last basically. Also, the dual 660ti instead of something single card, more hardcore, is for CUDA cores for rendering. Simplest hack lets you render using non-quadro GPUs: Entering the name of the card into a .txt file in the Premiere pro program files. So yeah. Monitor will be a tv for now, my old monitors kinda broke and I'm thinking of getting a 3D one when this is set up.
January 21, 2013 6:16:29 AM

Although maybe the ram is a little excessive...
January 21, 2013 6:24:15 AM

oh i see you will be using MPE cuda acceleration on adobe premiere

afaik :
doesnt add performance on dual card
cuda on gtx 500 series are more powerful than gtx 600 series
600 series are optimized for gaming

i use aftereffect with MPE too :) 
January 21, 2013 6:26:08 AM

and use SSD for OS/program caching
January 21, 2013 6:29:39 AM

Since you are only saving up for it at this point, when you actually have the cash together, hardware could be priced totally differently. So who knows, cant predict the future as to whether this will be nutty or not.
January 21, 2013 6:47:06 AM

On a side note, if you want to go for a multi-card set up with a GPGPU, go amd, for the same price you could hook in two 7950's which would greatly outperform the nvidia.
January 21, 2013 7:35:18 AM

Lol!Are you kidding us?
January 21, 2013 7:38:50 AM

Don't go with a WD green. They have a horrible failure rate from my experience.
January 21, 2013 7:40:12 AM

Extreme rig!!!
Green HDD for boot...
Really?

And dual 660Ti's, the benefit of Crossfire/SLI is that you can play at a ridiculous resolution, something which that 192bit memory bus wont let you do.

Also where do you plan to stick two 120mm rads? The top of the case is taken by the H100, one of them could go with the rear I/O (if it reaches), the other one goes on the side panel? Not a good move if you ever want to open the case again.

I would go back to the drawing board on this, you'v gone extreme in a lot of ways and then crippled it in others.

Not being mean, just giving criticism.

January 21, 2013 7:49:56 AM

dude... chill out...

he probably build rendering machine, not gaming pc

i perfectly understand his need of i7 6 core and nvidia card
and that 64GB is very useful in heavy pro AE rendering

you can suggest him for ssd for boot

and dual HDD 2TB 7200RPM raid 0 < very important for writing rendered output

dual raid 0 is fully recommended (need 4 HDD 2TB 7200RPM)
January 21, 2013 8:06:04 AM

Ok, missed out my SSD on here-vertex 3 max iops 240gb. Soz! Might spring for the dual 0 but then if one backup drive fails I lose my backup... I could always just backup again with a replacement drive... Idk. Maybe...
January 21, 2013 8:13:10 AM

AMD Radeon said:
dude... chill out...

he probably build rendering machine, not gaming pc

i perfectly understand his need of i7 6 core and nvidia card
and that 64GB is very useful in heavy pro AE rendering

you can suggest him for ssd for boot

and dual HDD 2TB 7200RPM raid 0 < very important for writing rendered output

dual raid 0 is fully recommended (need 4 HDD 2TB 7200RPM)

Ok I'll try out dual 0 with the 2TB drives, but why not just 2x 1TB? I'm not a raid expert, but wouldn't that be cheaper too? It's fine port wise, the rampage extreme has 6 sata 3 ports.
January 21, 2013 8:14:35 AM

So what is the exact usage of the rig and your budget?
Just that if its a gaming rig, then youv made some very overkill choices. If its purely a rendering machine, then you'd be better off with a workstation card. If its both then there are still ways to improve.

Also RAID 1 or 10 (which is what you mean by dual 0) isn't the same as a backup, you can still lose all your data through software means. RAID only protects against actual drive failure, which is referred to as redundancy.
RAID 0 offers no redundancy at all, if one drive goes down you lose everything in the array.
January 21, 2013 8:19:26 AM

This spec is pretty good for me. £56 over budget (cheaper part recommendations welcome as long as they're quality) which I'd say is pretty good. Won't take me too long to get £50 extra. Another reason I like the ott ram is because I'm a photographer so no more lag between loading photos and making big edits in photoshop especially, although I prefer Lightroom.
January 21, 2013 8:26:29 AM

manofchalk said:
So what is the exact usage of the rig and your budget?
Just that if its a gaming rig, then youv made some very overkill choices. If its purely a rendering machine, then you'd be better off with a workstation card. If its both then there are still ways to improve.

Also RAID 1 or 10 (which is what you mean by dual 0) isn't the same as a backup, you can still lose all your data through software means. RAID only protects against actual drive failure, which is referred to as redundancy.
RAID 0 offers no redundancy at all, if one drive goes down you lose everything in the array.

Both w/ photo editing. I want to be able to multitask, ie rendering a YouTube video, exporting a few photos and playing csgo or bf3. I get annoyed that I have to choose between em. Play a game, export some photos THEN render all night, instead of doing it all at once and the rendering only taking a small portion of the night. The green drives are for leaving it on at night LOL! And don't even mention the OTT water cooling system.... So what do you recommend improvements wise? Budget is £2500 ish which is around $4000 if you're American or just use American websites like me.
January 21, 2013 8:28:34 AM

I can reduce the build cost by $500 with no loss to performance.
Get a 3930k.
Exact same chip as the 3970X except for a slightly smaller cache and clocked .3Ghz lower. An easy overclock on this chip.

Also drop the aftermarket VGA coolers, theres no point in upgrading the cooling on graphics cards until your in custom water-cooling. Use the saved cash to upgrade to a 670.

The power difference between Green and proper 7200RPM drives is minuscule, think 3W of difference.
January 21, 2013 8:43:43 AM

manofchalk said:
I can reduce the build cost by $500 with no loss to performance.
Get a 3930k.
Exact same chip as the 3970X except for a slightly smaller cache and clocked .3Ghz lower. An easy overclock on this chip.

Also drop the aftermarket VGA coolers, theres no point in upgrading the cooling on graphics cards until your in custom water-cooling. Use the saved cash to upgrade to a 670.

The power difference between Green and proper 7200RPM drives is minuscule, think 3W of difference.

WOW I didn't know that. I thought the only 6 core Intels were extreme edition. (Fail much) thanks man you saved me lots of money. Not! Video card time!
January 21, 2013 9:00:11 AM

Well, youv lost my input on this build.

Have fun spending your cash on pointless components.
January 21, 2013 9:04:39 AM

manofchalk said:
Well, youv lost my input on this build.

Have fun spending your cash on pointless components.

Sorry... :(  it was a joke.
!