RAM: SD vs. DDR vs. RD

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hey folks.

Is it correct that an AMD CPU with DDR RAM yields significantly, noticeably and beneficially better performance than the same AMD CPU with SD RAM?

(Are there any exceptions to the above question's answer regarding performance in any specfic applications, etc.?)

Is it correct that a Pentium CPU with RD RAM yields significantly, noticeably and beneficially better performance than the same Pentium CPU with SD RAM?

(Are there any exceptions to the above question's answer regarding performance in any specfic applications, etc.?)

Does a Pentium CPU with DDR RAM yield significantly, noticeably and beneficially better performance than the same Pentium CPU with SD RAM?

Does a Pentium CPU with RD RAM yield significantly, noticeably and beneficially better performance than the same Pentium CPU with DDR RAM?

Thanks much.

Curiously,
DuckTape

G

In general ddr is better than single sdram on both platforms, it basically goes twice as fast, but that's not gonna really be noticed unless you are using a memory intensive program (movies, games, anything other than office). And Rdram is being fazed out of Pentium platforms, because though it has a higher theoretical throughput than ddr, ddr performs better and costs less.

I like to turkey!?!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
1)
Majority of the time yes. One way it might not is if the DDRSDRAM has very high number latencies compaired to SDRAM. Here the overall time to complete a word, a read/write cycle, could be longer than the SDRAM.

2)
Not necessarily. If you use anything less than PC800 the performance will suffer for a Pentium IV. PC600 and PC700 are substandard for the needs of the P4. However for a PIII, you can use SDRAM, DDRSDRAM, or RDRAM. Again the perforomance will very based on the MCH in the chipset and the type and speed of the memory type used. The P4 was designed around PC800/RDRAM.

3)
Most of the time yes. See answer 1.

4)
Normally yes if dealing with the P4 and not necesarilly for Pentium, Pentium Pro, PII, PIII, Xeon, and Celeron. See answer 2.

Any other questions?

<b>"The events of my life are quite inconsequential.." - Dr. Evil</b> :lol:

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
well i got a new soyo board this xmas that uses ddr ram. i took my 1ghz tbird from my old mobo and put it in this (till i got a new one) and i got about 30% increase in vdub when compressing video. not bad.

as for P4 and sd-ram, i heard that it basically kills the performance for the P4.