Sign in with
Your question

How can i replace windows 7 with windows xp

Last response: in Windows 7
March 7, 2012 4:10:51 PM

Hello, I've recently purchased a new Sony Vaio with Windows 7 Professional. Most of my software is dated and needs to run on Virtual XP which is not as virtual as I'd hoped. I hate it so much that I want to switch back to Windows XP Professional (by far the best platform produced) and I know I will lose at least 4gb of usable memory but so be it. Does anyone know how I get XP installed?
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2012 4:49:02 PM

Hi :) 

Just boot from your XP cd then format the drive...etc...

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2012 4:49:55 PM

Hi :) 

Oops another thought...you had better check with Sony that there ARE xp drivers or you cannot do it...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2012 4:50:03 PM

your first step is to get your hands on a legitimate copy of windows xp
then back up your data, i would also go to the manufacturer's webside and see if there are windows xp drivers avaible for your win 7 laptop.
change your boot order in bios to boot from the CD first, put the cd in. restart. press anyt keys to boot from the cd. follow the onscreen instructions

March 7, 2012 4:56:26 PM

From the very first version of Windows to Vista (and I've installed every version), I'll agree that XP Pro SP2+ was the best MS platform.

BUT... W7 obliterates XP; you pretty much summed up your problem... you're trying to run outdated software on the newest OS.

Blame your choice of sticking with old software (or your company's), not the OS itself.

Also, you just might not have the technical know-how on making everything run in 7; with 26000 users, 42000 desktops, 3 domains & a library of over 6000 apps (too many are in-house garbage), we've only found ONE that absolutely needs a virtual XP (and we don't use the MS XP virtual option from W7, we use VMWare), and unless you use some crap software that uses a parallel dongle for its hardware key, I'm sure there's a way to make everything you have work on W7.

To answer your question:
Acquire XP media
Destroy W7 partition & install XP
Pray to your deity that drivers for your hardware exists in XP (Sony & good drivers don't belong in the same sentence; chances are if it's a brand new device, you're screwed)

You could try another virtual solution like Oracle VBox, it's free and on some occasions works better than VMware
!