Sign in with
Your question

First Time Building, Need Some advise

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2013 8:13:21 AM

Hello to everyone reading my post.

I've been an avid gamer for years now and ive decided to finally switch back to the PC platform where it all started for me so many years ago.

I really enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together to see how they work and i have decided that building my own pc will be an extremely fun thing to do.

I have been googleing away constantly now for about a month and i have chosen many of the parts for my build but i wanted to get some comments/feedback from the community about build.

I think its easier if i start with a list of the components i have already decided on.

Case: Cooler masters Haf X Nvidia Edition (i like Green)

Motherboard: Asus Sabretooth z77 - i love the look and functionality of this board, it has everything i need and the thermal armor should provide a bit of protection from my dusty old Flat.

CPU: Intel core i7 3770k - i have chosen this processor as it exceeds my needs, once my system is built i will definitly be looking into overclocking.

CPU Cooler: im still undecided however i have been looking into Corsair's H100i and although i have seen many mixed reviews it looks like this might the cooler i will be choosing but im open to suggestions.

Hard Drives: 1 x SSD for operating system and selected games 1 x 2tb HDD for storage. i still haven't selected which makes and models of hard drive to go for.

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX660 TI 2gb - i want to take advantage of my motherboards SLI capability and although i will not be able to afford 2 graphics cards straight away one of these cards should run most of the games i want to play without too many problems

Power Supply: PLEASE HELP. i just cant work out which power supply to choose. i know i want a modular power supply so i can run the cables to the various components neatly. however i cant work out how much power im going to need for now and to future-proof my machine a little.

RAM: Please Help. i know i will be going for 16gb (2x8gb) to start with but i just cant work out which manufacturer to go for and what speed i need.

DVD/Bluray Writer: Any Suggestions?

Extra Case Cooling: do you guys think im going to need any extra cooling with this build?

I'm wondering if you guys have any advise/comments about my system build. this will be my first time building a system and i wanted to get some advise before i start buying the different components. the only thing that is set in stone at this point is my case the rest is still open to discussion.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

More about : time building advise

a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 8:21:17 AM

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

To start out could you give us your budget and where your located?

First observations:

1) An i7 is not necessary for a gaming build, the 3570k will be plenty.

2) If this is your first time over clocking i don't think liquid cooling will be necessary, a decent air cooler will give you plenty of room to overclock, be simpler, and cheaper too.

3)SSD i'd recommend samsung 830 or 840 pro or vertex 4's.

4)HDD seagate barracuder or Western digital caviar black.

5)Power supply a decent unit from something like antec, seasonic, xfx, pc power and cooling.

6) RAM - 8gb is plenty for gaming. no more than 1600mhz is necesary. You should also get low profile ram so it doesn't interfere with your cooler. Something like corsair vengeance low profile is good.

7)Optical, just go with something cheap.

8) Case cooling - with the haf x you should be fine.
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 8:22:44 AM

Your on the right track, though to me it seems your sinking too much money into the processor and motherboard to the detriment to the GPU.
Reining them back to a 3570k and something like a Z77 Extreme4 will give the same performance in gaming and leave you ~$150 to get a better card, namely a 670 or HD7970 Ghz.

Since your looking for Crossfire/SLI capability later on, 750W is about the wattage you need. Get a unit from the standard companies, Corsair, Seasonic or XFX.

G.Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 is the kit I usually recommend, there's no benefit to getting RAM faster than that and its low profile, wont get in the way of large heatsinks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also no need for Win7 Pro if you dont intend to have more than 16GB of RAM.
Though you could get Win8 64bit OEM, that will give you 16GB+ capability for less than Win7 Pro.
Related resources
January 21, 2013 8:30:05 AM

Thanks for the quick reply
Im in london uk.
I haven't really set my self a budget, it going to cost as much as its going to cost however I'd like to try and keep it under £1000. I'm not going to be buying all the parts at one time I will probably split it over 3 months or so
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 8:31:53 AM

Here's a decent build for a little over £1000

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yhmi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yhmi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yhmi/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£158.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£186.92 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£35.38 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.54 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (£318.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.66 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.95 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£17.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £1009.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-21 10:31 GMT+0000)
January 21, 2013 8:37:57 AM

^Expensive ASUS Deluxe mobo and a HAF-912?
Like dressing a nobleman in rags :lol: 

Your better off buying the whole rig in one go rather than buying over several months. Because prices inevitably go down on components as they get older, and there's the possibility of new tech coming out (like the next gen graphics cards and Haswell).
Save up your cash, and when its a week or so before you buy the rig, then decide what will go in it.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 8:45:03 AM

manofchalk said:
^Expensive ASUS Deluxe mobo and a HAF-912?
Like dressing a nobleman in rags :lol: 

Your better off buying the whole rig in one go rather than buying over several months. Because prices inevitably go down on components as they get older, and there's the possibility of new tech coming out (like the next gen graphics cards and Haswell).
Save up your cash, and when its a week or so before you buy the rig, then decide what will go in it.

Ok granted some money could be saved on the mobo, but how dare you cast such aspersions on the HAF, i love my case :lol: 

Manofchalk clearly illustrates a point here though. Cases are very subjective to each person, just go with whatever you like the look of.

I also agree that it would be better to buy at one time. Or buy the majority at least, so say, save up two months and get everything except the GPU and buy that the month after. At least that way you'll have a working system in the mean while.
January 21, 2013 8:55:50 AM

I love the HAF aesthetic, got myself the grand-daddy of HAF cases for my rig :D 
Just saying that your pairing an overkill mobo with a low end case. I would downgrade the mobo to an Extreme4, use that ~$60 to get a HAF-XM or 932.

Same performance and basic features supported on the board, much better case.

Also for budget rigs I don't like recommending the HAF-912, its a bit too bare on features. I err towards the Zalman Z9+, has basically everything you could ask for in a budget case and looks pretty good.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 8:58:33 AM

manofchalk said:
I love the HAF aesthetic, got myself the grand-daddy of HAF cases for my rig :D 
Just saying that your pairing an overkill mobo with a low end case. I would downgrade the mobo to an Extreme4, use that ~$60 to get a HAF-XM or 932.

Same performance and basic features supported on the board, much better case.

Also for budget rigs I don't like recommending the HAF-912, its a bit too bare on features. I err towards the Zalman Z9+, has basically everything you could ask for in a budget case and looks pretty good.

I'll knock up a revision in a minute.

Mostly i put the HAF as a place holder as people generally lean towards picking there own case anyway.

Edit:

Revised build

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yKYM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yKYM/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yKYM/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£92.90 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (£318.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case (£107.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.95 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£17.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £1009.53
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-21 11:04 GMT+0000)
January 21, 2013 9:11:24 AM

Thanks for your advise guys this has defenatly given me some things to look into.

I'm defenatly set on my case I love the Haf x and the nvidia edition looks sweet.

I think I'll take your advise and try and buy the parts together.

With regards to the GPU I could probably be swayed into increasing my price a little bit so maybe I could include a gtx 670 into my rig.

With regards to the mobo, I love the features of the asus sabretooth z77 and the thermal armor would give me a lot of dust protections. My flat gets really dusty.

I'm now thinking of downgrading to the i5 processor 3570k if you think it will be sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for the info on power supply's
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 9:18:43 AM

Edited the build to include for the parts you like, the nvidea edition haf x isnt on pcpartpicker but i suspect it's a similar price.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yL24
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yL24/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/yL24/benchmarks/

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£173.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.39 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£131.87 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1045.51
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-21 11:17 GMT+0000)
January 21, 2013 9:32:49 AM

^ How you managed to do that and keep the price roughly the same I have no clue.
Unless I am vastly underestimating the worth of the British Pound.

Manofchalk's edition of Mike's build.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£173.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.71 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£305.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£131.87 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£72.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1061.39
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-21 11:31 GMT+0000)

Only changes are a slightly bigger PSU, different RAM and a Gigabyte card instead of EVGA.
Would have also put in a HD7970, but I had a feeling it would clash with the Nvidia branding all over the case :lol: .
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 9:36:08 AM

^ The pound is fairly reasonable but i think it's mostly our prices are a bit all over the place when it comes to components.

The 7970 would be my choice as well, always preferred them. Im sure he could stick a little Radeon sticker over the front of the nvidia branding :lol: 
January 21, 2013 9:39:32 AM

Hehe, I'm from the land these brits sent all their prisoners :p 
I wish I could get components that cheap.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 9:44:25 AM

Ey up skip :) 
That may be true but we all wish we could get prices as cheap as the yanks.
January 21, 2013 11:24:54 AM

Thanks for all your input guys, really appreciate it.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 11:39:41 AM

No worries, glad to help, if you need anything else let us know :) 
January 22, 2013 9:06:45 AM

Gah, hate how Amazon has no information on whatever their selling. I have to go to their biggest competitor Newegg just to get some info on it.

Yea, should be good for your build.
You might hear that OCZ power supplies are bad quality, but that was only with their early models. This particular unit has decent reviews.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/ZT_750W/9.html
And another on Johnny Guru that I think is fairly good, though their website is down right now.
January 22, 2013 9:17:26 AM

Yeah I read some good reviews on this unit but just wanted to check. I thought it was a decent price for a fully modular unit
!