Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this Power supply good and enough ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 21, 2013 11:04:04 AM

I am building a new computer. I will be installing Intel core I7 3770 processor, Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1gb GDDR5 Graphics Card, Asus Motherboard P8B75-M-X,
1 Sony DVD-Drive, 1 500gb SATA 3 HDD, 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 RAM.

I want to ask that I have selected a 500 Watt PSU. The link is below. Is it good enough to handle my system.

PSU ink :http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3...

Please Suggest. Suggestions are most Welcomed.

More about : power supply good

January 21, 2013 11:10:37 AM

I highly suspect not. I've never heard of that brand before and can't see any specs about it.

I highly recommend buying your PSU from a well known manufacturer such as Antec, seasonic, pc power and cooling, XFX etc.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 1:57:15 PM

+1.. have you already bought the parts? what is the purpose for this build?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 1:59:15 PM

mikerockett said:
I highly suspect not. I've never heard of that brand before and can't see any specs about it.

I highly recommend buying your PSU from a well known manufacturer such as Antec, seasonic, pc power and cooling, XFX etc.


iball is common in India.. but i don't think the psu is reliable..
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:12:41 PM

nix327 said:
iball is common in India.. but i don't think the psu is reliable..


I can't find any information on it which is never a good sign. All i can see is it has 2 12v rails but no where tells me what amps across them. Also no idea on who manufactures there parts.

To be safe id stay away from it and get a well known brand as stated before.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:31:53 PM

Manufacturer specs are here if you can load the page:
http://iball.co.in/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=71
However, even there it doesn't specify how many amps are available on the dual +12v rails. Also, it has the following indicators of a poor quality power supply:
1. manual input voltage switch (not mentioned in the specs, but I'm fairly sure that's what the small red area visible in the picture above the plug is for)
2. no 80 plus certification
3. no mention of over current protection, short circuit protection, etc.
There have been a couple of TH reviews about the dangers of using a bad quality power supply:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-re...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

Edit: I think that eBay seller is mistaken about the model. Comparing with the pictures on iBall's website, I think that's actually the iBall Sprinter rather than the iBall Marathon. Not that there's much difference in specifications.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:38:58 PM

don't skimp on psu, have mercy on your i7
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 3:05:20 PM

mikerockett said:
I can't find any information on it which is never a good sign. All i can see is it has 2 12v rails but no where tells me what amps across them. Also no idea on who manufactures there parts.

To be safe id stay away from it and get a well known brand as stated before.


The local stores here recommend no name parts with no reliability.. at least that's how it is where i live.. most people don't care about brand names and build quality.. its mostly because the prices here are generally high for the good brands.. i've seen lots of components in stores from brands that you cannot find on the net..
m
0
l
!