MAJOR STUTTER WASN'T FIXED

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2012 5:32:40 PM

Greetings

I've got a major stutter problem with 2 games.
I recently purchased FAR CRY 3 and realized it wasn't just skyrim, but it's a general problem.

RIG
OS WIN 7 ULT 64
DISK SSD 120 OC
VCARD ATI HD 5970 2GB (latest non-beta driver 12.10)
WATTS 750
CPU 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i5 750
RAM 4GB
BOARD ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D DELUXE Rev 1.xx

I've searched around if anyone had a similar problem and I found this thread on this forum.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340038-33-6950-crysis...

LONG STORY SHORT it basically says "supmag" had this same issue with 2 same games and he fixed it by going to an old driver. (FAR CRY AND CRYSIS COME FROM SAME ENGINE, so we can see relation)

The old driver FIXED THE STUTTERING at the cost of NOT SO GOOD PERFORMANCE.

I understand that may solve 1 of my problems, but it seems very...wankerish, so I'm trying to find a better solution.
in addition someone said, "well everytime you load new parts of a map, it will do that and it's normal"
but IN FAR CRY YOU'RE ALWAYS LOADING NEW PARTS AND IT MAKES IT EXTREMELY ANNOYING TO PLAY LIKE THAT.
I'm getting headaches outta nowhere. Well.."NOWHERE"

is anyone on board?

Here's a video example uploaded to rapid share
http://rapidshare.com/files/943811013/VIDEO0043.3gp
min 0:40 shows major stuter, the rest is paced. (1min long)

IM HOPING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IS GOOD ENOUGH?

More about : major stutter fixed

December 6, 2012 5:38:06 PM

Amd just released another beta version earlier this week specifically for farcray 3. 12.11 beta C or something. Try it out.
m
l
December 6, 2012 5:39:53 PM

flexxar said:
Amd just released another beta version earlier this week specifically for farcray 3. 12.11 beta C or something. Try it out.

Oh thanks! I'll give that a shot.
I'll just wait till the end of the day to see if anyone else has another suggestion.
m
l
Related resources
a c 123 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:50:06 PM

skyrim and fc3 will eat 1gig video cards for breakfast. you're going to have to turn back settings and lower your resolution to compensate.

FC3 ) .. you can try running in DX9 mode. that will take some of the load off the card.

yeah, I know it says 2gig in the cards description but it still only has 1gig of vram.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:03:51 PM

swifty_morgan said:
skyrim and fc3 will eat 1gig video cards for breakfast. you're going to have to turn back settings and lower your resolution to compensate.

FC3 ) .. you can try running in DX9 mode. that will take some of the load off the card.

yeah, I know it says 2gig in the cards description but it still only has 1gig of vram.

Why would a company claim their product has 2GB VRAM when it has 1?
wouldn't that create problems?

I appreciate your feedback, but I don't think setting graphics quality with DX9 would be wise, when I'm trying to keep the "pretty graphics" and still find a solution. It might fix the stutTering, but I won't be happy with it.

I think there should be a solution to this, weather it's drivers or playing with settings.
I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge to give me the kind of solution I'm looking for.

Thanks Swifty_morgar
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:09:17 PM

let me ask you this. is it possible to disconnect crossfire from one of those types of cards ?........ from the CCC ?

and farcry2/3 don't come from the same engine as crysis.

and yes, they should be sued 10 times over for claiming the card has 2gigs when it actually can't be shared.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:20:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
let me ask you this. is it possible to disconnect crossfire from one of those types of cards ?........ from the CCC ?

and farcry2/3 don't come from the same engine as crysis.

and yes, they should be sued 10 times over for claiming the card has 2gigs when it actually can't be shared.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.

I don't have 2 cards, I have one that claims to have 2GB's because there's 2 vcards stuck together in one.
I figure they've REACHED A LIMIT WITH VCARD TECHNOLOGY and they're stucking chips together.
PROOF of that is that the latest videocards are just that, stuck together and they need more heat dissipation because they cause greater heat since they're bigger.

CRYTEK makes engines for CRYsis and far CRY from basically some of the same coders and they all share a lot of technological similarities.

Regardless who's right, let this subject go. It's not important atm.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:29:22 PM

The 5970 is actually two 5870s crossfired on a single board, each with 1gb of ram. Just like 2 board crossfires, you can't use the total ram, you can only use what each card has individually.
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:41:01 PM

first off.............. Crysis and FarCry2 use different engines......... nothing you say can convince the people in the real world that it is something it's not. google it. nothing wrong with a little knowledge.

your analogy of video cards isn't very good.

that ONE card you have that has 2 processors on it............. can you disable crossfire in the CCC ( catalyst control panel ) ?

some games run like crap in sli or crossfire. disabling one of those might help ( doubtful )............ but worth a try.

your card is old. the technology is old the cards architecture is old. if you don't do what I suggested above ( DX9 and whatnot ) you're going to continue to have crappy performance issues.

games have changed a lot since that card was made and it can't keep up. that's all there is to it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:44:42 PM

Games running off that SSD, as well, or do you have an HDD for programs etc?
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:49:19 PM

also, fc3 has a field of view adjustment bar. try it.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:50:30 PM

house70 said:
Games running off that SSD, as well, or do you have an HDD for programs etc?

CORRECT. game running off from SSD as C:
I purposely made it so big So I can run games faster from there under GAMES folder on C:
All other programs are also installed in C:
THe other hd's i have contain music, videos among other ***.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:51:48 PM

flexxar said:
The 5970 is actually two 5870s crossfired on a single board, each with 1gb of ram. Just like 2 board crossfires, you can't use the total ram, you can only use what each card has individually.

mmm..well, that's the point of that then?
if you can't use it..?
is there any use for it?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:55:35 PM

The 5970 is fine... two gpu's that render their own frames with access to their own discrete memory and no sharing.

The new 2.3.0 After Burner OSD now shows frame times (ms) along side FPS. The 4GB of system memory can be the problem FYI...

Here:

1) Download Driver Fusion HERE.
2) Download Catalyst 12.11 beta11 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download Catalyst 12.11 CAP 2 HERE
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Fusion and clean AMD display drivers - reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.

In CCC there is an option to run Crossfire for applications that have no associated Catalyst Application Profile. Make sure it's checked. Fixed CF for me in Assassins Creed 3.

Quote:
AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Release Notes

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AMD CATALYST 12.11 BETA11 DRIVER

AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 is now available, and includes the following updates:
(Please note that AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta11 includes all of the fixes found in previous versions of AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta)

Improves performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
Resolves an intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in a CrossFire Eyefinity setup.
Resolves image corruption found in certain DirectX 9.0c titles
Resolve missing fonts issue in XBMC
Resolves no video issue found in Media Player Classic Home Cinema when using full or half floating point processing
Resolves stability issues found in the previous AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 driver for Linux
For users experiencing issues with HDMI Audio under Ubuntu 12.04, users should try installing the “dkms-hda - 0.201211291615~precise1” package from https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/a... and reboot; this will resolve the HDMI Audio issue found in Ubuntu 12.04
AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 has just been released, and should be used in conjunction with AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta11
Improves Far Cry 3 performance for single GPU configurations with AA enabled
December 6, 2012 6:56:46 PM

Well, it is being used. Since you have two separate chips, each has 1gb. Each 1gb is running exactly the same thing as the other 1gb. They have to feed the exact same thing to their respective processors in order to render frames. The first processor renders the first frame, the second reders the second frame, the fist renders the third frame, and so on. So when you load a game into vram, you have to load it twice on this card.
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:58:07 PM

swifty_morgan said:
first off.............. Crysis and FarCry2 use different engines......... nothing you say can convince the people in the real world that it is something it's not. google it. nothing wrong with a little knowledge.

your analogy of video cards isn't very good.

that ONE card you have that has 2 processors on it............. can you disable crossfire in the CCC ( catalyst control panel ) ?

some games run like crap in sli or crossfire. disabling one of those might help ( doubtful )............ but worth a try.

your card is old. the technology is old the cards architecture is old. if you don't do what I suggested above ( DX9 and whatnot ) you're going to continue to have crappy performance issues.

games have changed a lot since that card was made and it can't keep up. that's all there is to it.

CRYtek subject: alright then.

Analogy subject: granted I haven't done any research, but it's what I see from just looking at the market. 1 liner explanation.
try to beat it without being too technical.

XF DISABLE: I'm not too sure how to do that. Haven't played with the CCC out of fear of screwing up OVERCLOCKER STYLE.

yeah the card is old as ***. (3 yrs..4? I don't know.
I rly want a new one but theres no money.

PS: HOW WILL FIELD OF VIEW HELP ME AT ALL?
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:02:26 PM

flexxar said:
Well, it is being used. Since you have two separate chips, each has 1gb. Each 1gb is running exactly the same thing as the other 1gb. They have to feed the exact same thing to their respective processors in order to render frames. The first processor renders the first frame, the second reders the second frame, the fist renders the third frame, and so on. So when you load a game into vram, you have to load it twice on this card.

the way you're saying that, makes it sound like a major set back instead of something positive.
It sounds like ATI majorly fails at introducing new technology in the market.

Perhaps they're doing that to trick not-so-wise people into buying a card that SEEMS TO BE TWICE as fast?
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:09:19 PM

RussK1:

SEEMS WE HAVE A WINNER!

Well I'll go ahead and do that stuff, see what happens.

Thanks for all that info and steps!

BTW, WHAT DO YOU MEAN 4GB SYSTEM MEM MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM?
I tested it with the resource monitor and it never goes past half the memory and it's stable reading.

I've been looking to buy new fast memory for cheap 8GB's but I've been looking around to see what's good.

found this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... any good?
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:19:35 PM

makugx said:
the way you're saying that, makes it sound like a major set back instead of something positive.
It sounds like ATI majorly fails at introducing new technology in the market.

Perhaps they're doing that to trick not-so-wise people into buying a card that SEEMS TO BE TWICE as fast?

It's not a setback, it's just the way crossfire/sli works. It's the only way to make two chips render the same image. Nvidia has to do exactly the same thing on their two chip cards as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 7:22:43 PM

makugx said:
RussK1:

SEEMS WE HAVE A WINNER!

Well I'll go ahead and do that stuff, see what happens.

Thanks for all that info and steps!

BTW, WHAT DO YOU MEAN 4GB SYSTEM MEM MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM?
I tested it with the resource monitor and it never goes past half the memory and it's stable reading.

I've been looking to buy new fast memory for cheap 8GB's but I've been looking around to see what's good.

found this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... any good?

The vengeance is good and I have that RAM in one of my machines with no issues.

This is a really good deal (was $29.99 last week):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the following in two other machines (links below) as well and both are phenominal (esp. the Crucial which their customer service is second to none). In fact I lowered the timings to CL7 on both @ default voltage/speed with no issues. The Vengeance wouldn't do it...

**If you live by a Micro Center you can get memory really cheap**
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:55:28 PM

flexxar said:
It's not a setback, it's just the way crossfire/sli works. It's the only way to make two chips render the same image. Nvidia has to do exactly the same thing on their two chip cards as well.

THis goes beyond me.
To me it doesn't make sense, but then again I'm far from understanding technical ISSUES of this world.

RussK1: oh that's good stuff, but it's also 10 bucks more ezpensiv

I'll have to wait for SAT for my check to clear.
I don't think I wanna spend 50 bucks on MEM when my last check is of $130 :\ (PUBLIX)

yeah I LIVE IN FL, there are no MICROCENTER. When I lived in MD I did thou. I love that place, it's wonderland.

THIS IS THE MEM I HAVE
SHOULD I UPDATE FROM THE SAME KIND OR JUST BUY NEW?

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=227
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 8:01:28 PM

new ram won't help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 8:13:43 PM

makugx said:
SHOULD I UPDATE FROM THE SAME KIND OR JUST BUY NEW?

Just add more of the same...
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:24:35 PM

RussK1 said:
Just add more of the same...

awesome thanks.

I have a question on these steps.

4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.

What do you mean "custom uninstall" ?
just go to control panel and uninstall everything?

I believe we talking about AMD CATALYST INSTALL MANAGER? that's the only AMD thing there is.

once I uninstalled the AMD, I Install DFUSION and what?
what AMD display drivers specificly? the one's i just dled?

beta 1 ?

From which file? didnt I just do that? the original one I had before I started uninstalling?

I guess after installing all that, I install cap 2 and then..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 8:36:32 PM

Quote:
awesome thanks.

I have a question on these steps.

What do you mean "custom uninstall" ?
just go to control panel and uninstall everything?

I believe we talking about AMD CATALYST INSTALL MANAGER? that's the only AMD thing there is.

Yes.

Instead of "Express" select "Custom" and check everything.

Quote:

once I uninstalled the AMD, I Install DFUSION and what?
what AMD display drivers specificly? the one's i just dled?

Even though you've uninstalled through the control panel previous installation files remain and Driver Fusion cleans those up.

Quote:
beta 1 ?

From which file? didnt I just do that? the original one I had before I started uninstalling?

I guess after installing all that, I install cap 2 and then..

The downloads can be found in default Windows Download library or wherever you may have changed it's directory. This can be found via the browser you may be using.

Catalyst Control Center's 12.11 Beta 11 download will be "AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Beta11"

And the download for the 12.11 CAP 2 will be "AMD_Catalyst_12.11_CAP2"

m
l
December 6, 2012 11:34:42 PM

Alright. After doing all that, IT DID HELP.
as it's stated in the AMD note, 25% increase.
That's pretty accurate on the difference.

it's still more playable than before.

I appreciate all the help.

makugx
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 11:48:48 PM

[:russk1]
m
l
December 7, 2012 12:46:45 AM

Best answer selected by makugx.