Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS with GTX 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2012 5:40:12 PM

Hi Everyone.
I recently bought Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution.
When playing Hitman on highest settings, with MSAA 8x, Anisotropix 16x etc.
ingame FPS drops to 22-25 average. The resolution i am running is 1920 x 1200. I did not test FPS in Far Cry 3, but it still seems kind of laggy at ultra settings. My graphics card is a inno3D GeForce GTX 680 2gb.
I got the newest nvidia driver installed (310.70).
Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? Shouldnt this graphics card be able to run these games at ultra settings?.

CPU and RAM:
Intel 2700K Sandy bridge 3.5Ghz
Kingston HyperX 8GB Running 1600Mhz

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : low fps gtx 680

a c 271 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 7:47:31 PM

I don't have those particular games, so I don't know what is normal during game play with them. But the GTX 680 2GB should have no problem keeping frame rates well above what the eye perceives as fluid motion (~30 fps min). Do these issues appear in both single player or just multi-player?

Is this a new system, or one that has been in use for awhile? If the latter, you may want to try cleaning your system by un-installing the gfx driver and running Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode. Have it remove any old AMD, ATI, and Nvidia graphic driver remnants it finds. Re-boot and install the latest driver for your card and O/S.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweepe...

Then perhaps run CCleaner to rid your system of resource wasting crap and registry errors that could be slowing things down. Do the Clean and Registry portions both.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
December 8, 2012 5:51:26 PM

Hi thanks for the answer! :) 
I build my system this summer so its pretty new. I use CCleaner on regular basis, so the registry database should be in order. There has only been 1 older driver installed on the system, and i have only performed clean installs. These are my system specs:

CPU: i7-2700K 3.5GHZ Sandy Bridge
MB: Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3.
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHZ
OCZ Vertex 3 128GB / WD Velociraptor 600GB 10.000rpm
PSU: CM 700W

Is there any known problems with these components?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 9, 2012 5:21:16 AM

Have you purchased those games?
If yes, try updating the games... Some latest patches might fix the issue...
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 5:28:11 AM

Far Cry 3 is known to be a system killer, and I don't know how Hitman is, so why don't we try testing your system on something we can compare. Can you run 3dmark11 on performance mode?

Here are some benchmarks on Hitman: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/hitman_absolution_...

Note that they didn't feel anything beyond MSAA x2 was playable, and the benchmarks don't use more than AF x8 either. I have a feeling you are just using too high of settings. Seriously, too many people crank of AA levels way too high. Anything beyond x4 has serious diminishing returns.
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 5:38:09 AM

Here is an image to get an idea of how rough Hitman Absolution is:

Now that is only a 660ti, but the highest they went with it was Ultra and only 2xMSAA and AF x8, you cranked it up to 8xMSAA and AFx16.
December 9, 2012 3:43:22 PM

Yes, both games are legit and updated, so that should be in order :) 
Thanks for your time. I Guess i am using too high settings. Maybe SLI would do the trick :) 

Off topic: Is it possible to make an SLI setup with 2 different video card brands? Like a setup with one GTX 680 2GB from Inno3D and a GTX 680 4GB from Gainward or something else?
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 4:47:09 PM

joachim_da said:
Yes, both games are legit and updated, so that should be in order :) 
Thanks for your time. I Guess i am using too high settings. Maybe SLI would do the trick :) 

Off topic: Is it possible to make an SLI setup with 2 different video card brands? Like a setup with one GTX 680 2GB from Inno3D and a GTX 680 4GB from Gainward or something else?

You can use two different brands, but if you use two different memory sizes, you'll have to use coolbits to make the 4GB card act as a 2GB card.

Also, try playing the games with lower AA and AF levels. You can hardly tell a difference between 4 and 8, if you even can and 2x really isn't that bad either.
!