Display Drivers

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I guess I have been asking for help in the wrong area? Here's the issue. I have been adjusting my DRAM timings in the BIOS and lose the ability to reboot onto Windows 7 64-bit. So, I power down and reboot and I get a black/blank screen and 2 beeps from the MB. So, I turn off my computer and I have to remove my Graphics card to access the OS again. Can anyone suggest an option or two that will help me restore to SLI mode?

Thanks

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Yes. Thank you.
Initially, every worked just fine. Then I started making the timing adjustments.
I have the system up again w/o the GPU. However, when I try to reinstall the GPU I get a Black/Blank screen and no BIOS menu. I have to pull the GPU and reboot to get to the OS. Hope this helps. I have no clue at this point.

Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 64-bit
MSI NF750-G55 SLI
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE (No OC)
Corsair Dominator GT 1333/1600 for Phenom II's BEMP, Timings @6-6-6-24
WD 1TB HDD
SIGMA 635v PSU

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Do you have a reset button on your motherboard? I guess I could check for you but you should know regardless, so check it out. If not, I would suggest what Herr_Koos mentioned: remove the battery, and if you can get into BIOS, immediately revert to default/optimum settings - don't try to manually change things back, just do a full default rollback. Also, just to confirm - you say you want to restore SLI mode, but you also write that you have to pull out your card (as in one card) - so does that mean you only have one card or do you have two? How many ram sticks do you have installed? Did you check that all your power connections are 100% deployed?

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have tried:
Load Fail-Safe Defaults
Clear CMOS
Removing the battery and letting it sit for awhile
Using the Power button function

I have 2 sticks of 2GB memory
1 EVGA GTX 260

This may seem obvious, but if there are any 6 or 8 pin power plugs on your video card.... you did remember to plug those in before turning the machine on, right?

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Yes. As of today, I reluctantly use my Power Boost. I am afraid it will my crash my system. I have done a clean install of Windows several times and now have more confidence making those adjustments a fore mentioned in this thread. One day the drivers show they are up-to-date and not on another day. Makes no sense to me. Just cranky NVIDIA drivers I guess.

I'm looking at power consumption as a new thought in this matter. My system has stabilized for now. However, it feels like it has a limp. My SIGMA Shark 635v PSU seamed adequate when I bought it. I am researching this issue on another thread as I write this post.

Thanks

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Solved! The NVIDIA GeForce 186.xx archive driver is the only stable driver when using hSLI Mode on my system and probably many others.

After several days of jumping around the forums I have collected some good ideas that seem to point me in the right direction of figuring this out.

1. Run Driver Sweep. See what's on the system.
2. Confirm and then reconfirm the driver you want to use is the only one installed.
3. New drivers are not always good drivers.
4. Don't be afraid of using archive drivers. They work.
5. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Have your Repair Disc/USB handy.
5. Golden Rule. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hope this helps anyone down the road. Many helpful people contributed to my issue and it was resolved. Thanks