Hi Everyone

My Rig:

i7 920
P6T Deluxe
HD 4870
6gb DDR3 RAM (oc to XMP)
1 SSD Intel 335 240gb
2 Seagate HDDs

I recently upgraded to my boot HDD to an SSD (Intel 335 240gb) and installed Win 8 Pro through Win 7 upgrade. I removed my other 2 HDD and plugged the SSD via SATA2 then before installing the Win 7 Ultimate I changed from IDE to AHCI. Once done I proceeded to install Win 7 then upgraded to Win 8 then installed the necessary drivers. From what I have seen the boot up time for Win 8 is blazingly fast like 7s at least but mine is 35s! I have not installed any antivirus/ mS office or games yet on the OS.

I pretty much tried everything that you could think of to speed up the boot time by:

Changing BIOS settings - boot priority setting the SSD first
Enabling quickboot/ disablling and disabling other controllers/ reducing timeouts detection
I have 0 startup programs and no schedule tasks based from CC Cleaner
Also went to tick the no GUI boot on msconfig
Disable lock screen and login prompt
The mouse and keyboard are the only device installed via USB

I have noticed that from a cold shutdown upon turning the PC the BIOS does not show straight away and once I get to the Win 8 logo (splash screen) there is a delay of around 10s before going to the Win 8 start screen

Can someone help me determine the cause of this delays?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

windows 8 is aware of large hard drives, it does extra data integrity check on hard drives. Unlike windows 7 it will post these repairs and check into a background queue and proceed to do the various repairs on all of your drives.
This can slow your system down while these repairs are being made. I think win8 limits the how much time the repair can use of your CPU time.

windows 7 will make you run chkdsk and wait for it to complete.

just a guess, but it could be a lot of things. power button setting might have changed in control panel. devices going to low power mode and not waking up correctly. it is hard to say

Note: from a cold power boot (no power to power on) the BIOS will not start until the CPU gets a signal from the motherboard, the motherboard get the signal from the powersupply power good control line. The power supply does not send the signal until its internal circuits indicate the power has reach a certain level and has stopped fluctuating.

a long delay before post sometimes may indicate the first signs of a power supply starting to fail.

(just something to look at)

carf

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Sometimes that problem is because the correct hard drive is not on #1 boot device on your BIOS
Goto BIOS (F2 or delete)
Look into Bios Priority
If needed go to "Advanced Mode" - "Boot" - "Boot option Priorities"
Check on "Boot Option #1" if the correct hard drive is set
If your HD is not showing in "Boot Option #1" go to "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" and change the order
Save and Enjoy :)