Sign in with
Your question

Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2012 7:18:11 PM

Today i recieved my new sound card in the mail and in my excitement i forgot to unplug the power to the desktop, only just shutting it off. My hand accidently slipped and i smelt something reminiscent of smoke. Ignoring that i pressed on. When i tried to reboot my pc i am getting nothing from my monitors. I tried new connections and those did not fix the problem. I think i maybe have destroyed my GPU, but i wanted to ask before i rush off and buy a new one.

More about : question

a c 199 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 7:28:04 PM

The only voltage that would have been flowing is +5VSB, so more likely, you fried the mobo or damaged the sound card and/or the slot into which you plugged it. With the power supply switch turned OFF, remove the sound card. Inspect the edge connector for visible damage. Will the machine power up and boot with the sound card removed? If so, shutdown and turn OFF the PSU again, and try installing it in a different slot (if available), or if there's only one (e.g. a PCIe x1) see if there's any char to clean out of the existing slot before reinstalling the card.
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:33:52 PM

i unplugged the sound card and looked for char there was none. I attempted to reboot and am getting nothing.
m
l
Related resources
a c 199 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 7:48:37 PM

Ouch, not good. Very likely your mobo is dead. Does the PSU even turn on? Does the machine beep at all? Since you believe you smelled smoke, try to find its source. Remove your RAM and try to post; you should at least get some error beeps.
m
l
December 6, 2012 7:50:30 PM

yes the psu turns on. No beeps from what i can hear. ill try the ram in a sec
m
l
December 6, 2012 8:15:07 PM

it is for sure the motherboard. I cannot hear the processor at all when i initiate a boot
m
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 8:42:15 PM

Sorry to hear that. If you're able to get another one, Microsoft is usually pretty good at letting people reactivate Windows on a replacement board; I think I've had to do it twice.
m
l
!