AMD 12.6 Legacy (AGP) 32bit XP Graphics Driver Workaround

ITBeast

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
To those who had a similar problem with the AMD 12.6 Legacy (AGP) 32 bit XP Catalyst Software and Driver package,

I originally had an ATI/AMD RADEON 4600 AGP Video Card for one of my users PC's (With luck I will be decommissioning it 2 months from now) that the driver that was originally on it was corrupt and causing it to blue screen every other reboot. This was the only updated driver package I could find or download since AMD has closed access to any of there older Catalyst Driver packages for me to use. When I was about to accept that my users PC was only going be able to use the default XP Video Driver I stumbled upon this blog entry from this website ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/363242-33-legacy-graphics-driver ) and was able to fix my problem thanks to the information that had been posted by the "Unknown Admin". Thanks to his post I was able to figure out the rest of the solution and finally got the driver and Catalyst Software working.

Anyways as I said their were a few "gaps" in the information given which I was fortunately able to figure out, Below is the original unknown admins steps with some modifications to make it simpler for those not as technically blessed, I tried posting this in the original thread but had since been closed, I'm hoping that the moderators will allow this to stay to help others my situation...

I. Download the legacy 12. 6 Catalyst Software Suite (This will also include the driver) from ATI's web site to your hard drive, here is the direct link to download the software...

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

insure the package downloaded is "12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe"

II. Double click the .exe file and let it unpack the software, the default destination will be C:\AMD\ or you can choose the location of where to unpack the software.

PLEASE NOTE: The software will then proceed to try to install the software and driver on your PC, when asked choose the "Custom" installation And see if "Hardware Driver" and or "Catalyst Suite" is in the options to install. If those options are available then proceed with the install and you should be good to go. If neither option is available than cancel out of the installation process and proceed to Section III.

III. The next thing you will need to do is get hold of the VEN and DEV numbers of your particular ATI Video Card, This can be done in one of the following 2 ways...

1) Download pcitree (http://www.pcitree.de/download.html), install per the pcitree user guide and run the application. On the left hand side Click and highlight the line that says "VGA, PC Compatible; Display Controller". Then look to the right and you will see a VID (VEN) and DID (DEV) entries like this

VID: x1002 ATI Technologies Inc.
DID: x9495 No Device name found

The VEN number would be on the VID line which in this case was 1002 (without the x in front of it) and the DEV number would be on the DID line which was 9495 (again without the x in front of it).

2A) Go to START > SETTINGS > double click on CONTROL PANEL > and double click on SYSTEM.
2B) Click on the "HARDWARE" Tab and then click on "DEVICE MANAGER".
2C) Under your PC's name in the Device tree either look for "Display Adapters", right click on your ATI Video Card, and click properties or "UNKNOWN DEVICES", right click under "Unknown Display Device", and click properties.
2D) Click on the "DETAILS" tab and you should see an entry like this or similar below...

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495SUBSYS_00281458

As you can see the numbers you are looking for here are VEN_1002&DEV_9495
(This by the way are the VEN and DEV numbers for Unknown Admin's 4650 and my 4600 ATI Video Card)

IV. Go to the unpacked folder where the installation software and driver will be and open the the CX142837.inf driver file with notepad in the following folder...

\AMD\Support\12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\

Make the following entry under the section titled "[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]":

"%AMD9495.1%" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495SUBSYS_00281458

PLEASE NOTE: The "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9495SUBSYS_00281458" or similar information can be obtained in Section III Step 2 as when retrieving the the VEN and DEV numbers of your Video Card.

Then under the "; Localizable Strings" Section after DriverOEMVersion="Centralized Build" add the following line or Similar to the Make and Model of your Video Card...

AMD9495.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 4600 AGP"

Insure to Save the modified .inf file before exiting

V. Now either...

1) reboot your machine and have the new hardware wizard come up to add the Driver manually, insure to direct the wizard to the modified .inf driver file. Accept any "This Driver has not been sign by Microsoft" garbage , complete the rest of the dialog from the wizard and reboot. If the wizard does not come up then go to step 2...

2A) Go to START > SETTINGS > double click on CONTROL PANEL > and double click on SYSTEM.
2B) Click on the "HARDWARE" Tab and then click on "DEVICE MANAGER".
2C) Under your PC's name in the Device tree either look for "Display Adapters", right click on your ATI Video Card, and click properties or "UNKNOWN DEVICES", right click under "Unknown Display Device", and click properties.
2D) Click on the "Driver" tab and click on the "Update Driver" radio button
2E) The New Device Wizard will now come up, insure to direct the wizard to the modified .inf driver file. Accept any "This Driver has not been sign by Microsoft" garbage , complete the rest of the dialog from the wizard and reboot.

PLEASE NOTE: Do not use the software installation to retry installing the driver because it will NOT work, insure to manually add the driver as described.

VI. TO install the Catalyst Software go to the following folder (If it did not install with the driver) go back to your unpacked software installation folder below...

\AMD\Support\12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Apps\CCC\Core-Static\

...and double click on the ccc-core-static.msi, this will install the catalyst software for you.

After doing this with the following modifications my users desktop has been working like a champ with no BSOD's (Blue Screen Of Death).

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
But right i am thinking the NO Bluecreen/Errors Reprots/Keyboard and Mosue dont respond freezing problem is mostly cause by the 12.6 Drive (from 2012)

I did not know they had a later version for AGP until now

*Issue Contain
Fuzzy Text Weak to Wrost than Freezes (NO BSOD/No Keyboard or Mouse Respond/or Running Lights (Hardware or Ram Procress)

Right now is 13.1 Driver hoping it will fix this issue