Solved

New setup - asking for suggestions

Hello,

So, I've been building a new set up, and would like your opinion on the choices i made, as well as the bottlenecks/choices I will face in the future.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20 GHz 12 MB Cache Box

Cooler - Intel RTS2011LC Hydro p/ Socket 2011

GPU - Geforce 660GTX Ti 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 16X 3.0

RAM - G.SKill Ripjaws X 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3

Power Supply - Thermaltake ATX TR2 800W TR-800P

HD - Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HD

Motherboard - Intel DX79SI Extreme Series

CoolerMaster ATX CM STORM TROOPER - SGC-5000-KKN1

The way i see it, i have WAY more RAM than I need, probably for the next couple years... i use the computer for high-end gaming mostly, but do use some multi-tasking as well.

The power supply, according to the power calculator found on the asus site, should be ok. If i put a 2nd GPU identical to that one later on, than im gonna need to change to a 1050W or something like that.

I understand that, for now, i should be able to play any game on maximum, or very close to maximum settings... not sure if the bottleneck would be the cpu or the gpu, but my guess would be the gpu. In the future, i may buy a 2nd gpu (660gtx ti) and use then on SLI.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about setup suggestions
  1. Best answer
    Its a huge waste of money to use more than a socket 1155 processor like the 3570K .

The cpu is not the limitation for a gamer

More than 2 x4 gig of RAM is NEVER required for gaming . The only people who can even use more are graphics and video professionals who use 64 bit programs , and maybe folks running a lot of VM's

Your graphics card is OK but why not spend more .

The PSU is massive overkill , and since its thermaltake it will probably melt down anyway

So to summarise : a waste of money on poor choices
  2. So, you think a Corsair PSU would be a preferable choice ?

As for the GPU, what do you suggest, 2 GPUs on SLI ? 2 of the one i got, or a diferent model ?

In case i use two GPUs, i would need a 850w PSU right ?
  3. Its always better to use one gpu and give yourself the option of adding a second IMO
    A single GTX 670 will play any game well at 1080p resolution

A build like this
    3570K processor
    Z77 chipset motherboard
    2 x4 gig of 1600 MHz RAM rated for 1.5 volts or less
    120 - 240 gig SSD
    GTX 670
    Hard drive for data storage
    750 watt psu to give you head room to SLI at a later time . Corsair , seasonic , pc power and cooling

will meet the gaming and general use needs of 99.9999999999% of all users
  4. Best answer selected by Kallyn.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems