Sign in with
Your question

BSOD 116 Error

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 12:43:54 AM

Hey, I'm just wondering whether you could help me with my problem. Approximately one month ago, I started having a BSOD error, in particular whilst playing games. It happens randomly, which is why I haven't been able to pin-point the problem. When it happens, the computer screen goes black (no signal message appears), looping crashing sound (even if there is no sound playing at the time of the crash) and the system would reboot again. When on the desktop, I have a 'Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown' which is where I got the BCCode 116 error. This is the rest of the information I am getting on this page:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8007759010
BCP2: FFFFF8800FD56630
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Here are my system specifications (nothing is OC'ed):

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
Processor: Intel i5-2500K
Graphics: nVidia 550ti (just purchased)
RAM: 4GB Mushkin
Sound: XONAR DG
HDD: WDC WD10EARX ATA
NIC: TP-Link Wireless N Adapter
Case: Coolermaster HAF

I purchased the computer sometime last year from a computer shop, it was the Gladiator Warbird V2 Intel Core i5-2500K.

So after much research, I was told it was generally to do with my graphics card - either overheating, corrupt drivers, broken graphics card etc. I initially made a clean install of the latest nVidia drivers, and even resorted to a new install of Windows 7 - still had the crash. I monitored the temperature of the graphic card, never went over 60c under full load. I tested both the memory and the HDD, no faults came up. When stress testing in particular, it was strange how software such as Furmark and IntelBurn didn't crash my computer, but a simple game such as League Of Legends that requires 2 GHz CPU and 1GB RAM does.

As it was still under warranty, I phoned up the computer shop and was able to RMA (return) for fault testing - it was a broken graphics card so I decided to upgrade to the nVidia GTX 670 and pay the difference. I've had it back for just over a week now, and I'm still having the exact same crash. I today even flashed my BIOS to the latest version (using MSI Live Update) and I'm still getting random crashes.

I have attached part of the dump file highlighted red (assuming there's where the problem lies) to the bottom of this post, hopefully someone can take a quick look and decipher it - as I have not got a clue! Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give, hope to hear off you soon,

Nathan

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d000 fffff880`02c8e000 fffff880`02d82000 0x000f4000 0x4ce799fa 20/11/2010 09:50:50
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+37dc0 fffff880`0f000000 fffff880`0f046000 0x00046000 0x4ce799c1 20/11/2010 09:49:53
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+ade630 fffff880`0f0ed000 fffff880`0fde1000 0x00cf4000 0x506b3099 02/10/2012 18:21:13

More about : bsod 116 error

December 7, 2012 2:00:21 AM

you can also put the minidump on a cloud share for people to look at with a windows debugger.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 2:05:11 PM

sounds like video card either its bad or you are having a hardware conflict between your video card and MB. are you using 7 x64
December 7, 2012 2:24:38 PM

-The OS Timeout detection and recovery (TDR) bugchecked the system because the video hardware failed to respond.
- your BIOS version looks good
- your memory supports 1600MHz and is underclocked to 1333MHZ, should be ok
- your i5-2500k supports 3.3 ghz but was running at 1600Mhz, should be ok

-I would suspect that your machine was idle and had changed sleep states, or low power states. I would also suspect that there is a bug in your electronics/firmware
that is not handling your low power states correctly. video card not waking up, PCI bus at the wrong speed after wakeup, could be a lot of causes.

- I would install the latest chipset drivers for your chipset from the Intel website
(not your MSI motherboard website) This would give you a chance of a easy fix.

- make sure you have not attempted to overclock you PCI bus, some motherboards let you do this so check in the BIOS.
- sometimes video cards built in audio has a conflict with the motherboards built in audio and this can cause "issues". You may be able to turn disable the audio if you are not using it.
- if the NVidia control panel has any options for high performance you might want to turn it on. (keep it from going to a sleep state)
- your realtek sound drivers looked current

-you might want to check/change some of the sleep/power settings in control panel.
-Watch for new drivers, Windows 8 turned on a lot of new low power settings as the default, this exposed a lot of bugs in various hardware and OEMs have to fix the drivers and have to back propagate the drivers to Windows 7.( I know you have windows 7)
-Many OEMs are slow to back propagate drivers to Windows 7 and will not do it until the defaults are changed in windows 7 and they get hit with a lot of bugs.

best shot, grab new Intel chipset drivers, check PCI bus settings in BIOS, set machine to high performance and enable low power setting on selective devices.
December 7, 2012 4:14:33 PM

I'm struggling to grab the latest chip set drivers for my i5. I'm going on the Intel website using the Intel Driver Update utility. After scanning, it reckons that my i5 drivers are the latest. Is it worth uninstalling and re-installing these do you think? How do I go about lowering the power setting on selective devices, and what devices do these need to be? Thanks for your help. :) 
December 7, 2012 5:04:56 PM

-your Intel drivers should be good if you checked the Intel site
-check your BIOS and confirm you PCI bus is not overclocked. It should be at 100MHz

- disable advance power control in the BIOS if you have a setting or use the control panel power settings to set your system to high performance and see if you can still get the Bugcheck. Looks like it took 8.5 hours before you got the bugcheck last time.

I would start with high performance then tune it down over time by enabling a few settings at a time.

-dump the list of drivers on your machine, check for mismatched Nvida drivers
run driverquery.exe to display the loaded drivers with a datestamp.

-Look to NVidia for a fix, they may even know what the problem is.
!