In over my head

Rooboo

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
At the start of January i ordered parts for a new computer. This will have been my first ever build and i definitely should have done more research before because now i feel that i am in way over my head.

So anyways, a few days after i ordered my parts they started coming in the mail and the first parts i received were my motherboard and power supply and because i was excited about my first build i started connected the wires from the psu into the motherboard. At this point i had no idea that static would effect the motherboard and i had been putting it together on the carpet and after i didnt think any harm would be done by plugging it in and turning it on (even if the other parts weren't connected...) Did i mess up my motherboard or psu? if other parts were connected would they be affected too?

Im learning the hard way i guess however i've always wanted to build my own computer so what would you guys recommend me doing at this point?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Wait until you get all the parts, put the CPU/fan, video card (unless it has onboard, try onboard first) and the RAM in, hook it up to a monitor and plug in the PSU and attempt to turn it on. If all is still good, you will get a picture.