Sign in with
Your question

Bought a Alienware Aurora ALX, Is this a good deal?

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2013 11:14:29 PM

I bought a Aurora ALX for 1270 pounds ($2000)

Just got into PC Gaming, (Ex-Mac user) and I was considering attempting to build my own PC but I have no experience or knowledge so I didn't like the idea.

So for peace of mind, I went for the Dell Alienware so I could get warranty and a good system.

Here are the specs,

Alienware Aurora ALX Matte Black 875W Chassis,

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache 3.60GHz)

Memory
8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel

Video Card
2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GTX 680

Hard Drive
1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

Microsoft Operating System
English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

Mouse
Alienware Optical Mouse
Keyboard
Alienware Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Optical Devices
DVD+/-RW (Read/Write) 24x

Sound Cards
Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability

Standard Warranty
1 year Next Business Day Hardware Support included with your PC
Enhanced Service Packs
1 yr Next Day In-Home Hardware Support

What do you think?

I'm planning on using 3 1920x1080 monitors to play WoW, GW2 and maybe BF3.

Would it run okay? Any tips/advice is much appreciated
January 22, 2013 3:26:57 AM

I hate to say it, but that isn't a very good deal, buy us standards at least. I don't think that it would be that much better of a deal in England.
January 22, 2013 3:57:13 AM

Alienware overcharges and underperforms - that thing won't manage three monitor gaming very well, and yet it's got stupid wastes for single-monitor gaming.

My strong advice is to return it and buy from Falcon NW if you absolutely can't build one, but listen to this first:

Building your own computer is EASY. It's LEGOs for adults, and there are millions of good youtube videos walking you through how to assemble it. Tom's can help you get what you're looking for at a good price; it'll be close to twice as powerful as that computer, and likely cheaper. (That hardware costs about 1.5k, at most.) As for warranties, well... most parts come with either a 3 year or a 5 year warranty, do you have NOTHING to worry about.
Related resources
January 22, 2013 4:47:33 AM

for $2000, you could've gotten a better value out of it running 2x670's in SLI with a 3570K. made a much better sense than an SB-E i7, that brings little performance over an i5 for the price, and a single 680, for 3x1080p monitor setup.
January 22, 2013 4:57:22 AM

That sandy bridge E will actually perform worse in some cases. You could get the same performance in a $1200 PC. I bet you could fit 2 670's/ 7970's in a pc for $400 less.
January 22, 2013 4:57:28 AM

Basically, here's the verdict.

OF COURSE, this rig will run any of those games at Ultra.

There's a catch.

Obviously it's a bad deal you got there. And plus, 2xGTX 670 is going to
stomp the single 680 when triple monitor gaming.

That 2GB VRAM on the reference 680 isn't going to get you anywhere.

And last but not least, the i7-3820 is good but not worth the money.

No one should blame you for going with an OEM; everyone has a first time right (heck, I even went with
Dell and got an XPS 8500 with a piece of crap videocard)? But next time, just go ask for build advice in the forums
and go build your own.
!