Offer some advice on a new system build?

jarblater

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hello,

Approximate purchase date: April 2013

Budget range: $800.00, limit: $1000.00

System usage from most to least important: Gaming, online business, watching movies, surfing internet.

Buying a monitor: No.

Parts to upgrade: I have a Powork PW-650 (Red-X), a 500GB Western Digital Caviar (old) and a 320GB Western Digital Caviar (old), I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Overclocking: yes

SLI or CrossfireX: maybe

Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1200

Additional comments: My preferences include MSI, Intel, and Nvidia. I don't think I need an SSD, and I know I don't need to be able to write CDs. I don't need a lot of storage space. Is it possible to include a plug & play water cooling system like the Corsair H100? Also, I would like to be able to play Blu Rays. Micro ATX and Mini ITX is OK. And I will be buying headphones, I already have external speakers with sub-woofer.

Thank you,

I tried to put together a decent system as follows:
(all prices listed are from Amazon)

Case: MSI Barricade $ 79.99
PSU: Corsair TX 650M $ 99.99
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower $199.99
CPU: Intel i5 3570k $205.00
Storage: WD Black $ 69.99
Video: MSI PE Geforce 660 ti $275.00
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator $ 59.99
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK $ 50.00
Water Cooling: Corsair H100 $ 60.00

Sub Total.............................................................$1084.00 + S/H

This build that that I put together costs too much. If someone can suggest a build with about the same specs for about $800.00 I would really love to see what you're laying out there.

Thank you,
Jarblater

Links would help

2 x4 gig of 1600 MHz RAM rated for 1.5 volt should cost about $45 at most , and some if $36

Do you need the blue ray drive? A DVD is $16

The modular psu is expensive , A $60 500 watt unit will work well

replace the mb with an Asrock Z77 extreme4 and save $80

g-unit1111

Titan
I personally would not purchase an H100 - go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 or a Noctua NH-U9B instead.

I wouldn't get that MSI case - this would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139016

Cheaper RAM too, RAM isn't the place to spend tons of money on a build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226099

I agree with Outlander that you should get a cheaper motherboard, then invest more in the video card - that's where it counts on a gaming system.

jarblater

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I've decided that I'm not getting a power supply, and I have 8GB of Corsair Ballistix Sport ($36.00) Ebay [tested and working], no headphones, keeping overclocking, going with a Gigabyte motherboard that has on board WIFI, keeping Blu ray, and instead of the MSI case one of my friends JUST (I mean just) gave me a brand new Apevia X-Trooper w/ blue LEDs.

Still considering the H100, but I might go with a different brand of closed loop liquid cooling.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions.

Still not getting an SSD, and I have to keep Blu ray because it will be in the living room as an HTPC/gaming & business computer.

Forgot to mention, I'm getting a TV tuner too.

Again, thanks.

If you guys have any more suggestion I love you! lol

why the heck would you get a closed loop cooler. they have low grade radiators, weak pumps, and still cost way more than a heatsink for a 2c gain in temps. there is almost zero reason to get one.

the ONLY closed loop cooler id think about is the swiftech h220, but thats not really closed loop given its upgradeable and uses proper pumps and rads. not released for another 2 months

jarblater

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I'm going to reuse the 650 watt power supply, I have a case now, I also have 8GB RAM. The two hard drives are history. I'm not going to need the Sound Blaster card.

I will only spend extra money on an aftermarket cooling system if it is liquid cooling.

nice, temps, why the hell was i thinking watercooling. lol.

when u get into full fledged water cooling system temps are alot different tho, but a good quality system is atleast 250-300$ from what ive seen and not the simplest to setup versus an air cooler.

TRENDING THREADS