Sli Or New Graphic Card

wontonooodle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
I currently have a EVGA 570 and i don't know if i should get another 570 to sli or get a new graphic card (probably the GTX 680) What will you guys do?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
The GTX 570 is still a great card, however, the price right now isn't worth it... They are sold around $250 range in Newegg and Amazon. The GTX 660 and the HD 7850 are cheaper and performs better than the GTX 570. Maybe get a GTX 670, and use the GTX 570 as Physx?

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
You're best off waiting for next year's models - the GTX570 is still a good card and there's not much more benefit to be had from the single GPU cards out now. If you do get a different card, you'd definitely want to be looking at a GTX670 - GTX660 will give you almost no benefit over what you have.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I've had some really bad experiences with Sapphire cards - I've owned three, and all three died on me within 6 months of the warranty expiring (infact the first one I owned died on the same month the warranty expired!). Maybe I've just had bad luck with them though.

And you do realize that the HD7970GHZ Ed compares to the GTX590 and HD6990??? Just saying...

And I ahve ownd 3 as well, never had probs... You must have had bad luck...

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I guess it depends how much use you want to get out of them - if you're gonna upgrade after 2 years anyway, warranty is sufficient. I won't be buying another though - I don't like be forced to upgrade because the things won't live beyond their warranty.

As for the GTX590 and 6990, those are almost impossible to find now and kind of beside the point? You could have brought up the 3870X2 if you wanted, or even the GeForce 7950GX2 but I was obviously talking about the current dual GPU options you can actually buy :p

The point is the HD7970 GHz Ed is pretty much twice as good as the GTX570 he has... So yeah, SLI would be pointless...

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Twice as good is a bit of an exaggeration. You're not really claiming that it will deliver double the framerate on average? The point of SLI is obviously to make use of the money the OP has already spent - that's one of the best things about SLI, that you're adding to what you've already purchased rather than replacing it. That said, single GPUs tend to give better results, so I'll stand by what I said about waiting until next year being the best course of action.

What you're failing to consider there is the fact that doubling up on GPU only delivers double the framerate in a select few titles. When I was asking about average performance. It's typically more like a 70-80% gain. And as you say, it's only almost equal, so less still than that. Not that a GTX590 would be a particular good purchase, but best thing is to wait and see what next year brings. If more framerates are needed urgently, you're saying the GTX570 will deliver slightly higher framerates for a lot less money so I agree - that's the second best option.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Main drawback being that a capable, modern card is being replaced for big money, when it could be added to (for at least as good framerates) for a lot less money. And SLI is dead easy. But that's your opinion anyway, I guess there are worse options.