Sign in with
Your question

SLI a MSI GTX460 Cylclone with a Gigabyte gtx460?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 3:03:26 AM

Hello all, long time viewer, first time poster.

I've been reading up on SLI as I've been interested for some time now instead of upgrading my current video card and I just want to make sure I am able to do so.

I currently have a MSI GTX460 Cyclone 725MHz 1GB memory video card. I have been trying to find the same model at retailers and places like craigslist, but the card has been discontinued and the only one I've found is a used one for $200.

I have found a Gigabyte GTX460 1GB memory (Not sure the speed yet, but I think its the 715MHz model) for about $80 that I think would be a cheaper solution, however I'm wondering if I would have any issues with having the two cards in SLI?

I know brand doesn't make a different and the memory is the same, speed is a little different but I was hoping this would work fine. Just wanting to make sure before I make the purchase.

OR would it be a better idea to wait until the 600 series are cheaper when the 700 series is released. Thinking about a 670 or 680, would the two 460s be equivalent to the 670 at least?

Thanks for the time.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 11:45:05 AM

Well Gtx 460 Sli is really good. But you want yourself to get a single powerful GPU and SLI later. Cuz with 460 you cant add more.

They will work together. The freq is not imp but the other specs yes(Vram / Core)
m
l
December 7, 2012 2:17:23 PM

I was just looking for a cheap solution at the moment to boost my machine a bit before putting 300+ into a newer gpu. As long as the two cards are compatible I'm happy. Thanks for the input.
m
l
!