Tags:
  • New Build
  • Light
  • Graphics Cards
  • Servers
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2013 1:42:46 AM

Hello, just built server for mining got 2x 6990 video cards and when i lightly touch either video card with the back of my finger it feels like im getting shocked constantly( buzzing feeling). pc is still running fine just seems weird. pc is not in a case btw. (***update 1 of 2 video cards fried down 750 bux grrr )

More about : light shock video cards

a c 321 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 1:42:12 AM

Assuming you are not just feeling ESD (static electricity), It sounds like a PSU issue. Possibly the primary side of the PSU. The voltages on the secondary side are too low to feel unless you are very sensitive; the greatest being 12V. I'm wondering if the PC is plugged into a properly grounded outlet. Can you check the outlet for proper wiring? Or check it with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRICAL-RECEPTACLE-TESTER-OUTL...
It will verify that the wiring at the receptacle is correct. That is the first thing I'd do. If that shows correct wiring, I would suspect a current carrying conductor inside the PSU went to ground.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:57:48 PM

hey checked the wiring its all good its only doing it when they second card is plugged in to the second pcie slot ive switched the pcie 8pin from card to card and its still the same, the psu is brand new 0cz 1250 watt could it be the motherboard? and i cant check to see if it doing it right now cause it seems one of my cards has fried! damn
m
l
Related resources
a c 321 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 1:25:47 AM

You may have found the problem. The card that 'fried' may have been defective... grounded out. I wouldn't have thought you'd have been able to feel 12V, but maybe you are sensitive that way.
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:29:59 AM

i could only feel it with the back of my finger if i left just the smallest gap it was like a light buzzing feeling i just hope that was the problem being the other card. when i tried either of them in the first pcie slot no zapping only when i used them both at the same time. ill get my new card on the 31st when my shipment arrives ill let you know. thanx :) 
m
l
a c 321 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 1:49:15 PM

simonsez420 said:
i could only feel it with the back of my finger if i left just the smallest gap it was like a light buzzing feeling i just hope that was the problem being the other card. when i tried either of them in the first pcie slot no zapping only when i used them both at the same time. ill get my new card on the 31st when my shipment arrives ill let you know. thanx :) 

Hmmm... Either card alone; no zapping. Both cards in place; zapping. And only when a card is in the 2nd slot...

Now I'm not so sure I gave the correct diagnosis. The PCIe slots provide +12V also; even with no 6/8pin cable attached. So it is still possible the issue is board related.
1) Take a magnifying device and examine the inside of both slots, especially the questionable one. Look for foreign debris inside that could be shorting a couple contacts. Blow them out with compressed air.
2) Remove the board and look for shorted traces on the back on/near the slots' solder points, or debris stuck to the board. Also check that you didn't accidentally add an unused standoff that may be shorting/grounding solder points.

Be sure to use the CF Bridge, too when your running.
m
l
January 26, 2013 6:49:09 PM

I checked the board the other day and saw some dried water spots on it so i cleaned the corrosion off and will find out if it fixes it.(bought the board used just for mining) Who do i need the cf bride if im not using the cards for anything but mining bitcoins. I dont even have a monitor hooked up to them i access the server via vnc getting 430 MH/s per gpu on the hd 6990
m
l
a c 321 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 8:43:49 PM

simonsez420 said:
Who do i need the cf bride if im not using the cards for anything but mining bitcoins. I dont even have a monitor hooked up to them i access the server via vnc getting 430 MH/s per gpu on the hd 6990

My bad. I forgot your earlier reference to your intended use.
m
l
!