Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pricing the Maxxum 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:50:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I was surprised when my local store told me the Maxxum 5D would be
CAD$1099 with kit lens and available in a couple weeks. That comes to
about US$900.

... includes anti-shake.

Very good deal for Minolta lens owners.

I've threatened my SO with it, but she's happy in film land.

Cheers,
Alan.
--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

More about : pricing maxxum

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:33:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hi there,

I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.

I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.

Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
selection
August 13, 2005 10:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

<delldude2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123972406.832225.80930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>
> I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
> touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>
> Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
> selection
>
Henry's has a a few pompous asses working for them. I have gained many
customers in Ottawa because of their sales associates attitude. One customer
that we got went to Henry's for a simple $400 P&S camera, and she was
shrugged off. She walked down the street to us, spent her money left happy,
two days later her friend came in and bought the same camera. That pompous
ass has pretty well given us about 6 customers in the last 2 weeks, that I
know about, these are people who made a point to mention how good our
service was.

Henry's does sell the 7D, the 5D hasn't shipped yet but the Canadian price
is set at $1,099.99 probably $1,200 at Henry's. So for a sales person to
make a claim such as; "don't touch that thing" sounds like the salesperson
is only concerned for his Canon spiffs.

Try another store is my advice.
Related resources
August 13, 2005 10:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D dl8c8$15c$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
> I was surprised when my local store told me the Maxxum 5D would be
> CAD$1099 with kit lens and available in a couple weeks. That comes to
> about US$900.
>
> ... includes anti-shake.
>
> Very good deal for Minolta lens owners.
>
> I've threatened my SO with it, but she's happy in film land.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.
>
I did like the 5D when I had the sample in my hands a few weeks ago, it
should do well in the market. We will sell it in Ottawa at $1,099.99 with
the 18~70mm kit lens. KM's warehouse is packed with them all ready to go,
awaiting Japan HQ to say send them out.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 12:17:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

What company do you work for, because I want to buy a D70s, but have
also wondered about how much of a deal Henry's will give me?

Darrell wrote:
> <delldude2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123972406.832225.80930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>>
>>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>>
>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>selection
>>
>
> Henry's has a a few pompous asses working for them. I have gained many
> customers in Ottawa because of their sales associates attitude. One customer
> that we got went to Henry's for a simple $400 P&S camera, and she was
> shrugged off. She walked down the street to us, spent her money left happy,
> two days later her friend came in and bought the same camera. That pompous
> ass has pretty well given us about 6 customers in the last 2 weeks, that I
> know about, these are people who made a point to mention how good our
> service was.
>
> Henry's does sell the 7D, the 5D hasn't shipped yet but the Canadian price
> is set at $1,099.99 probably $1,200 at Henry's. So for a sales person to
> make a claim such as; "don't touch that thing" sounds like the salesperson
> is only concerned for his Canon spiffs.
>
> Try another store is my advice.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:09:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>
> I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
> touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>
> Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
> selection

If you shop carefully in that lens selection you will do as well, if not
better for many lenses, than in Canon, Nikon and the others ranges.

Those in stores who try to steer you away are most likely "brand
addicts" ... eg he probably shoots Canon himself.

And ask him, "Well, gee whilikers, what Canon has in-camera anti-shake?"

And he'll reply, "Well, you have to buy the 'IS' lenses to get that..."

Everything's a tradeoff. Minolta offer more camera / dollar than most.
And for what most photographers need, more than enough lens choice.

Cheers,
Alan


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:

> What company do you work for, because I want to buy a D70s, but have
> also wondered about how much of a deal Henry's will give me?

Henry's (toronto) has become over priced in the last few years. They
are almost as bad as L.L.Lozeau in Montreal (talk about over-priced:
L.L.Lozeau in Montreal).

Did I mention that L.L.Lozeau in Montreal are OVER PRICED on damned near
everything? they want (on special Sekonic sponsored sale) CAD$700 for
the L-558 meter. Oh, well, off to B&H it is (US$500)

They want $3,300 for the Coolscan 9000 ED. (Oh, well, off to B&H it is
[US$2000]) Etc.

(This is as much Nikon's fault as Lozeau. Nikon are a bunch of A-holes
when it comes to the North American Market. Canadians pay hard.)

Simon's in Montreal is very good, not miraculous on price.

Laplante in Laval can be haggled a bit (no mail order, however).

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Darrell wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D dl8c8$15c$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
>>I was surprised when my local store told me the Maxxum 5D would be
>>CAD$1099 with kit lens and available in a couple weeks. That comes to
>>about US$900.
>>
>> ... includes anti-shake.
>>
>>Very good deal for Minolta lens owners.
>>
>>I've threatened my SO with it, but she's happy in film land.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Alan.
>>
>
> I did like the 5D when I had the sample in my hands a few weeks ago, it
> should do well in the market. We will sell it in Ottawa at $1,099.99 with
> the 18~70mm kit lens. KM's warehouse is packed with them all ready to go,
> awaiting Japan HQ to say send them out.

So said my local store. I may buy one as a backup.

Oh, screw that, I'm looking at a 500CM kit tomorrow.

Cheers,
Alan

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
August 14, 2005 2:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ottawa, Galaxy Camera. D70s w/18~70 $1549.99


"Nicholas Wittebol" <nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:26ednZ2dnZ3GD534nZ2dnRgQY9-dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@rogers.com...
> What company do you work for, because I want to buy a D70s, but have
> also wondered about how much of a deal Henry's will give me?
>
> Darrell wrote:
>> <delldude2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1123972406.832225.80930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>>>
>>>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>>>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>>>
>>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>>selection
>>>
>>
>> Henry's has a a few pompous asses working for them. I have gained many
>> customers in Ottawa because of their sales associates attitude. One
>> customer that we got went to Henry's for a simple $400 P&S camera, and
>> she was shrugged off. She walked down the street to us, spent her money
>> left happy, two days later her friend came in and bought the same camera.
>> That pompous ass has pretty well given us about 6 customers in the last 2
>> weeks, that I know about, these are people who made a point to mention
>> how good our service was.
>>
>> Henry's does sell the 7D, the 5D hasn't shipped yet but the Canadian
>> price is set at $1,099.99 probably $1,200 at Henry's. So for a sales
>> person to make a claim such as; "don't touch that thing" sounds like the
>> salesperson is only concerned for his Canon spiffs.
>>
>> Try another store is my advice.
>>
>>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 3:33:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

That should tell you all you need to know about using Henry's comments as a
purchasing reference. Pick the person you talk to at Henry's very carefully
and then be very skeptical of their advice. For sure don't use it as the
major input to your buying decision. Always verify elsewhere.
Bob

<delldude2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123972406.832225.80930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>
> I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
> touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>
> Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
> selection
>
August 14, 2005 3:33:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I would be tempted to send the info to Ian Landry, President of Henry's as
people like that are not helping. Wait belay that order, it's helping me ;) 


"Robert Brace" <rlbrace@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:ervLe.13450$vj.12140@pd7tw1no...
> That should tell you all you need to know about using Henry's comments as
> a purchasing reference. Pick the person you talk to at Henry's very
> carefully and then be very skeptical of their advice. For sure don't use
> it as the major input to your buying decision. Always verify elsewhere.
> Bob
>
> <delldude2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123972406.832225.80930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>>
>> I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>> touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>>
>> Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>> selection
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:04:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>
>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>
>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>selection


Dealers are probably against Konica Minolta for offering a DSLR that
was far too expensive for them to have any chance of selling. By the
time Konica Minolta woke up , and the price became more realistic, the
potential market had already deserted to other brands.

The Maxxum/Dynax 5D is too little, too late. Despite the anti-shake
feature, which must add $$ to the cost of manufacture, it has to
compete on price at the low end of the market with well established
and highly regarded DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Olympus, two
of which have 8 MP, which is of considerable appeal to people buying
entry-level DSLRs.

Dealers want manufacturers to offer cameras that will sell well
without the dealers having to make a great effort to persuade people
to buy them. Konica Minolta does not fit that description.

The alliance with Sony is also a concern. Both companies have major
structural problems and are essentially weak. Two weak members in
joint venture makes for a weak joint venture. Konica Minolta/Sony is
probably doomed to failure, and dealers know that.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:48:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote

>>
> Henry's has a a few pompous asses working for them. I have gained many
> customers in Ottawa because of their sales associates attitude.

I'll say! They're not all in Ottawa either. I got shafted on a purchase
from their eBay website which quite clearly indicated $CAN, but they hit me
for $US.

I paid, but never purchased from them again.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:22:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 13 Aug 2005 15:33:26 -0700, delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>
>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>
>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>selection

That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.


**********************************************************

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"


David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:22:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John A. Stovall wrote:

> That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
> selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
> ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.

Has not affected me in the least. I have 6 Minolta lenses that more
than cover my needs. They more than cover the needs of most
photographers. 5 of the lenses I have are far out of the budget of most
people purchasing a camera.

It's a non issue in reality, if a great theoretical stone to throw
against Minolta. They have a great range of lenses, just not as many as
Nikon and Canon.

And of course, I didn't need to go to any IS/VR lenses. My Max 7D has
in camera anti-shake for all lenses.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:15:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2005 15:33:26 -0700, delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:
>
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>>
>>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>>
>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>selection
>
>
> That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
> selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
> ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.

That's what I looked at all the way back when I bought a film SLR. At
the time, Canon had the lens I wanted (28-105), Nikon did not, with the
closest being a 35-135. It was not until a few years later than Nikon
had their 24-140, which was no good, and apparently was discontinued,
and it was six years later when Nikon came out with their very good
28-105 equivalent.

Despite all that, Minolta does have a good selection of lenses, so as
long as the buyer isn't looking for pro lenses, I don't see the problem
with the 5D. Certainly it's a heck of a lot better choice than the
Olympus E300, which has a dearth of lenses.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 8:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

SMS wrote:

> Despite all that, Minolta does have a good selection of lenses, so as
> long as the buyer isn't looking for pro lenses,

eh? 5 of my 6 Minolta lenses are pro. And Minolta offers a bunch more
pro lenses.

--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:27:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:15:19 GMT, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>> On 13 Aug 2005 15:33:26 -0700, delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I am new to DSLR world and currently using Canon S2 IS.
>>>
>>>I visited Henrys this weekend to find out Maxxum 5D and they say don't
>>>touch that thing and go buy a Rebel XT.
>>>
>>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>>selection
>>
>>
>> That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
>> selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
>> ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.
>
>That's what I looked at all the way back when I bought a film SLR. At
>the time, Canon had the lens I wanted (28-105), Nikon did not, with the
>closest being a 35-135. It was not until a few years later than Nikon
>had their 24-140, which was no good, and apparently was discontinued,
>and it was six years later when Nikon came out with their very good
>28-105 equivalent.
>
>Despite all that, Minolta does have a good selection of lenses, so as
>long as the buyer isn't looking for pro lenses, I don't see the problem
>with the 5D. Certainly it's a heck of a lot better choice than the
>Olympus E300, which has a dearth of lenses.

Exactly, I went with Canon because of the L glass. It will be on many
camera bodies over the years.

I also avoid the EF-S lenses because I plan to go to FF even if I have
to pay out 8k.


********************************************************

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D dm5ua$kv0$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
>
>> What company do you work for, because I want to buy a D70s, but have
>> also wondered about how much of a deal Henry's will give me?
>
> Henry's (toronto) has become over priced in the last few years. They are
> almost as bad as L.L.Lozeau in Montreal (talk about over-priced:
> L.L.Lozeau in Montreal).
>
> Did I mention that L.L.Lozeau in Montreal are OVER PRICED on damned near
> everything? they want (on special Sekonic sponsored sale) CAD$700 for the
> L-558 meter. Oh, well, off to B&H it is (US$500)
>
> They want $3,300 for the Coolscan 9000 ED. (Oh, well, off to B&H it is
> [US$2000]) Etc.
>
> (This is as much Nikon's fault as Lozeau. Nikon are a bunch of A-holes
> when it comes to the North American Market. Canadians pay hard.)
>
> Simon's in Montreal is very good, not miraculous on price.
>
> Laplante in Laval can be haggled a bit (no mail order, however).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.


Let me mention my two current favourites (in Canada that is):
Cameracanada.com in London Ont. and Thecamerastore.com in Calgary
AB. Excellent service from both (when shopping Canadian)
However always check KEH and B&H first.
Bob
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:38:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:

>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>selection


Is the lens selection really so limited?

I seem to recall several new K-M lenses being announced recently.
August 15, 2005 12:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:k67vf1ti8s7temqqgg7mgeon1kqifde8ho@4ax.com...
> delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>selection
>
>
> Is the lens selection really so limited?
>
> I seem to recall several new K-M lenses being announced recently.
>
KM has 28 OEM lenses, several being APO, several are 2.8 long teles, and two
APO teleconverters

DT lenses
AF DT Zoom 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 (D)
AF DT Zoom 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (D)
AF DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (D)

W/A lenses
AF 16mm F/2.8 Fisheye
AF 20mm F/2.8
AF 24mm F/2.8

Macro lenses
AF 50mm F/2.8 Macro
AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro
AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro

Standard lenses
AF 50mm F/1.7
AF 50mm F/1.4

Zoom lenses
AF ZOOM 17 - 35mm F/2.8 - 4 (D)
AF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (APO D)
AF ZOOM 28 - 75mm F/2.8 (D)
AF 24-105mm F/3.5-4.5 (D)
AF 20-35mm F/3.5-4.5
AF 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6
AF 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 II
AF 17-35mm F3.5
AF 75 -300mm F/4.5-5.6
AF 100-400mm F/4.5-6.7 (APO)
AF 70-200mm F/2.8 G (D) SSM

Teleconverters
AF 1.4X Tele Converter (APO D)
AF 2X Tele Converter (APO D)

Tele lenses
AF 85mm F/1.4
AF 200mm F/2.8 (APO)
AF 300mm F/2.8 (APO G)
AF 300mm F/4 (APO G)
AF 400mm F/4.5 (APO G)
AF 600mm F/4 (APO G)

Doesn't look limited. Third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma et al also
exist. And they are all AS.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:42:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>Despite all that, Minolta does have a good selection of lenses, so as
>long as the buyer isn't looking for pro lenses, I don't see the problem
>with the 5D.

Complete and utter nonsense. Konica Minolta has an excellent range of
lenses, including pro lenses. Several are optically superior to their
Canon equivalents. But a lying Canon shill wouldn't know that.

>Certainly it's a heck of a lot better choice than the
>Olympus E300, which has a dearth of lenses.

Complete and utter nonsense. Olympus Minolta has an excellent range
of Zuiko lenses, including pro lenses. Several are optically superior
to their Canon equivalents. But a lying Canon shill wouldn't know
that.
August 15, 2005 12:42:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Tony Polson wrote:
> SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Despite all that, Minolta does have a good selection of lenses, so as
>>long as the buyer isn't looking for pro lenses, I don't see the problem
>>with the 5D.
>
>
> Complete and utter nonsense. Konica Minolta has an excellent range of
> lenses, including pro lenses. Several are optically superior to their
> Canon equivalents. But a lying Canon shill wouldn't know that.
>
>
>>Certainly it's a heck of a lot better choice than the
>>Olympus E300, which has a dearth of lenses.
>
>
> Complete and utter nonsense. Olympus Minolta has an excellent range
> of Zuiko lenses, including pro lenses. Several are optically superior
> to their Canon equivalents. But a lying Canon shill wouldn't know
> that.
>
>


Those lying bastards, they told me it was Konica Minolta. ;) 

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jer wrote:

>> Complete and utter nonsense. Olympus Minolta has an excellent range
>> of Zuiko lenses, including pro lenses. Several are optically superior
>> to their Canon equivalents. But a lying Canon shill wouldn't know
>> that.
>>
>>
>
>
> Those lying bastards, they told me it was Konica Minolta. ;) 
>

I guess there was another merger that we didn't hear about yet.

In any case, Minolta does have a good range of lenses, Olympus does not.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:03:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Jer wrote:

>
> Those lying bastards, they told me it was Konica Minolta. ;) 

I love my Konisonolta!
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:06:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Darrell wrote:
> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:k67vf1ti8s7temqqgg7mgeon1kqifde8ho@4ax.com...
>> delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>> selection
>>
>>
>> Is the lens selection really so limited?
>>
>> I seem to recall several new K-M lenses being announced recently.
>>
> KM has 28 OEM lenses, several being APO, several are 2.8 long teles,
> and two APO teleconverters
>
> DT lenses
> AF DT Zoom 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 (D)
> AF DT Zoom 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (D)
> AF DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (D)
>
> W/A lenses
> AF 16mm F/2.8 Fisheye
> AF 20mm F/2.8
> AF 24mm F/2.8
>
> Macro lenses
> AF 50mm F/2.8 Macro
> AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro
> AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro
>
> Standard lenses
> AF 50mm F/1.7
> AF 50mm F/1.4
>
> Zoom lenses
> AF ZOOM 17 - 35mm F/2.8 - 4 (D)
> AF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (APO D)
> AF ZOOM 28 - 75mm F/2.8 (D)
> AF 24-105mm F/3.5-4.5 (D)
> AF 20-35mm F/3.5-4.5
> AF 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6
> AF 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 II
> AF 17-35mm F3.5
> AF 75 -300mm F/4.5-5.6
> AF 100-400mm F/4.5-6.7 (APO)
> AF 70-200mm F/2.8 G (D) SSM
>
> Teleconverters
> AF 1.4X Tele Converter (APO D)
> AF 2X Tele Converter (APO D)
>
> Tele lenses
> AF 85mm F/1.4
> AF 200mm F/2.8 (APO)
> AF 300mm F/2.8 (APO G)
> AF 300mm F/4 (APO G)
> AF 400mm F/4.5 (APO G)
> AF 600mm F/4 (APO G)
>
> Doesn't look limited. Third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma et al also
> exist. And they are all AS.

Including my Bigma!

Now, if they could just add a bionic arm assist so I could heft the
beast...
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:53:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Assuming that the picture quality is roughly that of the Nikon D50
(~6.3 megapixels) and can shoot RAW, and has an 18-70mm kit lense
roughly comparable to a D70s, AND has the anti-shake in body, I think
this camera can do very well.

I picked a Rebel XT about 5 mos back and am very happy with the camera,
but all things being equal PLUS having anti-shake built-in, I'd have
picked the 5D.

The canon 17-85 IS lense is around $900 canadian... you could get
roughly the same performance WITH a camera body givne your pricing for
the 5D configuration. (All things being equal, we don't know about the
quality of the lense yet).

PS I couldn't bring myself to buy the 17-85...i replaced my Sigma 18-50
(3.5-5.5) with the 18-135 as an all-purpose lense at half the price of
the 17-85. Almost a 7x zoom on a walk around lense, not too shabby. No
IS, but I don't think I'll miss it too much to be honest, i'll be using
the mid-range mostly.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:16:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
> selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
> ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.
> David Douglas Duncan

Limited?

Check here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBa...

9 pages. That's NINE pages of lenses available for the Minolta SLR DigiCam
range. Something like 20 lenses per page

Insufficient choice? Gimme a break

Toa
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:16:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <42ff9a1f@news.orcon.net.nz>, Toa <toa1614@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
>> selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
>> ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.
>> David Douglas Duncan
>
>Limited?
>
>Check here
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBa...
>
>9 pages. That's NINE pages of lenses available for the Minolta SLR DigiCam
>range. Something like 20 lenses per page
>
>Insufficient choice? Gimme a break

This is all immaterial to me, as I don't use the K/M cameras.
However, I had to check out what you were indicating.

Your URL was selecting lenses from *all* manufacturers for the
KM bodies. If I restrict it to KM-only lenses, we wind up with only
four pages.

And your twenty lens per page turns out to be only ten per page,
with double entries for each lens -- one "imported" (grey market) and
one "USA", with different prices for each (of course).

A total of 36 unique lenses (exclusive of "gray"ness. :-)

Not really bad.

Even some of the third-party lenses seem to be available in both
a "USA" and "import" version, though far from the whole list, so the
number of unique lenses per page is higher.

FWIW The third-party lenses included in the list are from:

Phoenix
Sigma
Tamron
Tokina
Vivitar

Obviously, some are more desirable than others, but I really
only count the lenses for a camera from the manufacturer. The others
are ways to save some money, or to fill out possible gaps in the maker's
own line.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---
August 15, 2005 11:16:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

DoN. Nichols wrote:
> In article <42ff9a1f@news.orcon.net.nz>, Toa <toa1614@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>That's the best reason to be against any DSLR a limited lens
>>>selection. The reason to have any interchangeable lens camera is the
>>>ability to get the lenses you need for what you are shooting.
>>> David Douglas Duncan
>>
>>Limited?
>>
>>Check here
>>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBa...
>>
>>9 pages. That's NINE pages of lenses available for the Minolta SLR DigiCam
>>range. Something like 20 lenses per page
>>
>>Insufficient choice? Gimme a break
>
>
> This is all immaterial to me, as I don't use the K/M cameras.
> However, I had to check out what you were indicating.
>
> Your URL was selecting lenses from *all* manufacturers for the
> KM bodies. If I restrict it to KM-only lenses, we wind up with only
> four pages.
>
> And your twenty lens per page turns out to be only ten per page,
> with double entries for each lens -- one "imported" (grey market) and
> one "USA", with different prices for each (of course).
>
> A total of 36 unique lenses (exclusive of "gray"ness. :-)
>
> Not really bad.
>
> Even some of the third-party lenses seem to be available in both
> a "USA" and "import" version, though far from the whole list, so the
> number of unique lenses per page is higher.
>
> FWIW The third-party lenses included in the list are from:
>
> Phoenix
> Sigma
> Tamron
> Tokina
> Vivitar
>
> Obviously, some are more desirable than others, but I really
> only count the lenses for a camera from the manufacturer. The others
> are ways to save some money, or to fill out possible gaps in the maker's
> own line.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.
>


Well, my new 17-35mm f/2.8-4(D) KM badged lens is actually a Tamron
under the hood. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
August 15, 2005 12:28:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net> wrote in message
news:xvSdnVnDn6-JiZ3eRVn-vg@giganews.com...
> Jer wrote:
>
>>
>> Those lying bastards, they told me it was Konica Minolta. ;) 
>
> I love my Konisonolta!
It could have been Minolta-Konica ... Monica for short ;) 
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:51:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> Your URL was selecting lenses from *all* manufacturers for the
> KM bodies. If I restrict it to KM-only lenses, we wind up with only
> four pages.

Correct. But that's still lots of lenses plus oodles more from other
manufacturers.

> Obviously, some are more desirable than others, but I really
> only count the lenses for a camera from the manufacturer. The others

Your choice. That's a whole different argument as to whether after-market
lenses are up to standard with OEM ones

--
Toa #1614 DV#2, and Blondie #1617 DV#52
'86 VN750 - '89 SR250 - '86 Connie
Ulysses #4328 VRA #746A Zen #204 AZVROC(h) TW#18 Scurrilous
Auckland, New Zealand
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~hasl
Newbie info and Newsgroup Tips to be found at
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~hasl/VROClinks.htm
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

>
>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:k67vf1ti8s7temqqgg7mgeon1kqifde8ho@4ax.com...
>> delldude2005@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Why everbody is against Minolta other than the obvious limited lens
>>>selection
>>
>>
>> Is the lens selection really so limited?
>>
>> I seem to recall several new K-M lenses being announced recently.
>>
>KM has 28 OEM lenses, several being APO, several are 2.8 long teles, and two
>APO teleconverters
>
>DT lenses
>AF DT Zoom 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 (D)
>AF DT Zoom 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (D)
>AF DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (D)
>
>W/A lenses
>AF 16mm F/2.8 Fisheye
>AF 20mm F/2.8
>AF 24mm F/2.8
>
>Macro lenses
>AF 50mm F/2.8 Macro
>AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro
>AF 100mm F/2.8 Macro
>
>Standard lenses
>AF 50mm F/1.7
>AF 50mm F/1.4
>
>Zoom lenses
>AF ZOOM 17 - 35mm F/2.8 - 4 (D)
>AF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (APO D)
>AF ZOOM 28 - 75mm F/2.8 (D)
>AF 24-105mm F/3.5-4.5 (D)
>AF 20-35mm F/3.5-4.5
>AF 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6
>AF 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 II
>AF 17-35mm F3.5
>AF 75 -300mm F/4.5-5.6
>AF 100-400mm F/4.5-6.7 (APO)
>AF 70-200mm F/2.8 G (D) SSM
>
>Teleconverters
>AF 1.4X Tele Converter (APO D)
>AF 2X Tele Converter (APO D)
>
>Tele lenses
>AF 85mm F/1.4
>AF 200mm F/2.8 (APO)
>AF 300mm F/2.8 (APO G)
>AF 300mm F/4 (APO G)
>AF 400mm F/4.5 (APO G)
>AF 600mm F/4 (APO G)
>
>Doesn't look limited. Third party lenses like Tamron, Sigma et al also
>exist.

That's a good list, for sure.

>And they are all AS.

True. ;-)
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:55:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John A. Stovall wrote:

> Exactly, I went with Canon because of the L glass. It will be on many
> camera bodies over the years.

I was actually leaning toward a Nikon SLR (8008S) at first, because
Nikon had much better flashes back in the early 1990's. But they were
far behind Canon in the lens mechanics, even though they were just as
good in terms of optics. Also, Nikon's selection of mid-range lenses
(better than the low end junk, but not as good as the pro lenses) was
more limited at the time, though they've since caught up.

> I also avoid the EF-S lenses because I plan to go to FF even if I have
> to pay out 8k.

Yeah, I was feeling the same way, but I got the EF-s 10-22 anyway,
figuring I can sell it if I don't want it anymore. Amusingly, I see used
Canon lenses selling on Craigslist.org for MORE than you can buy them
for new, and apparently they are actually selling for these prices. One
seller got very upset when I pointed out this fact.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:59:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

DoN. Nichols wrote:

> A total of 36 unique lenses (exclusive of "gray"ness. :-)

This is correct. Counting lenses by B&H pages is certainly a new twist,
but it's really only two pages when you take out the double entries, and
look only at lenses from the manufacturer.

This line of reasoning reminds me of some of the Mac advocates that
state "the Mac has plenty of software." True of course, but if the
application software you need isn't available for the Mac, it's really
immaterial that there are lots of applications available that you don't
need.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:13:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> It could have been Minolta-Konica ... Monica for short ;) 

Does it come with a blue dress? :-)

Toa
!