Sign in with
Your question

Good system, but not happy with performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 6:16:09 AM

So I recently picked up an MSI GTX 660 Ti. I bought this in the hopes that I could play my games on the highest graphics settings and have no problem. But unfortunately that hasn't been the case. I have seen videos of my graphics cards running games that I have, for example Assassins Creed 3 and GTA 4, and they look like they are running very smooth. This is my set-up.

ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 MOTHERBOARD

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CL9S

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W

MSI GTX 660 Ti OC

(And the hard drive that my games are installed on is a Toshiba running SATA 2)

The only issues I could think of (and I'm no expert) is either that my memory is running to slow at 1333, or my hard drive isn't fast enough. Any ideas??
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 6:28:51 AM

Check your CPU usage. It's most likely the culprit.
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:33:32 AM

Sunius said:
Check your CPU usage. It's most likely the culprit.

How do I check that, and also how would I fix that?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 6:36:26 AM

Lower, of course. Overclock the CPU to make it faster. But still, I'd check the usage first before making more assumptions. Make sure to check it while you're playing a game that lags, rather than while looking at the desktop.
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:46:18 AM

Sunius said:
Lower, of course. Overclock the CPU to make it faster. But still, I'd check the usage first before making more assumptions. Make sure to check it while you're playing a game that lags, rather than while looking at the desktop.

So while I was playing Assassins Creed 3 on the highest settings, my CPU usage shot up and stayed in between 80 and 90% and I was getting about 20 FPS.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 6:50:56 AM

It means the processor is the limiting factor. The two games you mentioned: both AC3 and GTA 4 are extremely hard on CPUs. Did you see whether the game alone was using the CPU or something else as well? If there was something else too, you could turn it off to improve the performance.

Do you have an aftermarket cooler (not the default one that comes with the CPU)? If so, you could overclock the CPU and it would improve your frame rates dramatically.
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:57:40 AM

Sunius said:
It means the processor is the limiting factor. The two games you mentioned: both AC3 and GTA 4 are extremely hard on CPUs. Did you see whether the game alone was using the CPU or something else as well? If there was something else too, you could turn it off to improve the performance.

Do you have an aftermarket cooler (not the default one that comes with the CPU)? If so, you could overclock the CPU and it would improve your frame rates dramatically.

I do have aftermarket cooling (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO). I also used that automatic overclocking utility that came with the asus motherboard (although I don't know if it actually does anything all that great)

And from what I can see, it seems that the game is the only thing that is taking up the CPU usage
m
l
December 7, 2012 7:24:18 AM

Your CPU is pretty weak for those kind of games to be honest. Lower your expectations or raise your budget.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 7:28:08 AM

jamesondrums said:
I do have aftermarket cooling (COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO). I also used that automatic overclocking utility that came with the asus motherboard (although I don't know if it actually does anything all that great)

And from what I can see, it seems that the game is the only thing that is taking up the CPU usage

You shouldn't really use the automatic utilities - they are just crapware.

I suggest you read this guide how to overclock your CPU to get the best performance out of it:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/overclocking-prozesso...
m
l
December 7, 2012 8:11:46 AM

From this http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assass... it looks like AC3 wants good single-core CPU performance. It's not able to properly take advantage of all 4 cores. Your CPU should be able to handle any properly written game. Overclocking may be your only option at this moment.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:05:46 AM

bgrt said:
From this http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assass... it looks like AC3 wants good single-core CPU performance. It's not able to properly take advantage of all 4 cores. Your CPU should be able to handle any properly written game. Overclocking may be your only option at this moment.

Ok cool. Do you think I should get better memory as well? And does that even make a difference?

I'm kinda wishing I did more research before I bought this motherboard. Now I'm stuck with this processor until AMD makes new ones for this socket type.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:31:29 AM

Also I did a Benchmark on GTA 4 and it said that my average CPU usage was 74%. Is that to high?
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:33:39 AM

jamesondrums said:
Ok cool. Do you think I should get better memory as well? And does that even make a difference?

I'm kinda wishing I did more research before I bought this motherboard. Now I'm stuck with this processor until AMD makes new ones for this socket type.

I doubt faster RAM will make a difference on your setup.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:41:20 AM

upgrade one more ram u get speed. because 1333mhz is not enough for games. so u put 1 more 1333mhz u get totally 2666mhz its better for gaming.
m
l
December 7, 2012 9:50:16 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
upgrade one more ram u get speed. because 1333mhz is not enough for games. so u put 1 more 1333mhz u get totally 2666mhz its better for gaming.

Umm I don't think it works like that...
m
l
December 7, 2012 10:03:03 AM

Ram won't help him anyway. It makes a difference in APU performance but only on the graphics side.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 10:04:54 AM

That CPU is the main problem for sure.
m
l
December 7, 2012 10:23:14 AM

hytecgowthaman said:

I can tell you that unless you are using the GPU on the A10-5800K faster ram will not make a difference.
And What are you smoking? Adding another stick of ram does not double the frequency it runs at. It only adds to the amount available. Now going from 1 stick to 2 will magically double your bandwidth on anything that supports Dual Channel Memory, but even then it still operates at it's rated speed/bios settings.

That's like people used to say, I've got 2 cores running @ 6ghz (a 3ghz dual core). It doesn't magically double the effective clock.
m
l
December 7, 2012 3:47:36 PM

So am I pretty much stuck until AMD releases new processors for this socket? Is there anything I can really do?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
December 7, 2012 4:19:43 PM

Only overclocking I'm afraid.
m
l
!