Sign in with
Your question

Christmas Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 9:28:08 AM

Hi all,
Finally got round to asking for advice from people who know :-) I've pretty much decided fully on the spec listed below but my concern is the final and most expensive part, the graphics card(s).

Upgrading to:

Motherboard - AsRock Z77 Extreme6 - TH recommended so can't be bad!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-z77-extreme-6-int...

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K Retail - Retail cooler or will the pretty decent one from my current 1156 motherboard fit the 1155?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/29-4intel-core-i5-3570k-...

RAM - 8gb (4gb x 2) Kingston HyperX Predator 2400mHz RAM
http://www.ebuyer.com/394611-kingston-8gb-2400mhz-ddr3-...

All drives are either in RAID or are standalone SATA3 SSDs.

The thing I'm stuck on is the graphics upgrade. I currently am running a Gigabyte GTX 570 2gb Windforce3 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/279277) and was wondering which option is best? Looking at a £300 price barrier really, maybe a touch more if it's a decent long-term card.

Option a) Buy another GTX 570 to SLI with the current one (does it have to be Gigabyte and the exact same model/RAM size?)

Option b) Replace with 660 Ti, was looking at the MSI 660 Ti Power (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-660-ti-power...) but all of TH's November Best Card for the Money now seem to be AMD/ATI cards.

Option c) Anything else you can suggest. Cheaper but better SLI configuration than two 570s? Monster £300 graphics card I've never heard of?

I have no particular need to get nVidia over AMD, I just haven't had any of the negative experience with nVidia compare to my last outing with AMD when they were ATI.

Any advice greatly appreciated here folks. I'm no noob and I have done all the reading, just looking for a second, third, fourth point of view and/or opinion and what's best :-)

Thanks for reading,

Mister Q

More about : christmas upgrade

a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 9:50:05 AM

GTX 570 sli will be pretty much better than a single 660 ti, if you have the PSU to power up the dual gtx 570, go ahead an buy it, gtx 570 SLI'd is even better than a single gtx 670
The 680 is the only one to outperform the dual gtx 570 ( not by much though )......
December 7, 2012 11:43:31 AM

So worth going the SLI route then. Is the card make/model/RAM size an issue? Does it have to be identical? Thanks for your help dude.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:39:29 PM

Brand doesn't matter, just match the core speed, if you brought lower core speed card, the lower card will drag the higher card to its speed,,,,
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:48:00 PM

Don't buy 2 x GTX 570 .

Get the newest and best GPU you can right now, then in the future when you need more performance, then you go SLI.

Remember this! 2 GPUs doesn't mean 2 times the performance, BUT it does mean 2 times the power Draw and 2 times the heat.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:49:22 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Don't buy 2 x GTX 570 .

Get the newest and best GPU you can right now, then in the future when you need more performance, then you go SLI.

Remember this! 2 GPUs doesn't mean 2 times the performance, BUT it does mean 2 times the power Draw and 2 times the heat.

It can do sometimes.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:52:09 PM

Sorry, I just saw you already had 1 GTX 570.

Still I would recommend you to buy a new GPU and sell your old. Not all games support SLI, so that you should keep in mind too. Your old GPU neither does have all the new Technologies, so that is another downside.
December 7, 2012 1:53:57 PM

You're best off waiting for next year's models - the GTX570 is still a good card and there's not much more benefit to be had from the single GPU cards out now. If you do get a different card, you'd definitely want to be looking at a GTX670 for a worthwhile improvement. So for an immediate upgrade, a second GTX570 is best. I'd wait for next year though.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:59:23 PM

bc5 said:
You're best off waiting for next year's models - the GTX570 is still a good card and there's not much more benefit to be had from the single GPU cards out now. If you do get a different card, you'd definitely want to be looking at a GTX670 for a worthwhile improvement. So for an immediate upgrade, a second GTX570 is best. I'd wait for next year though.

+1

Agreed, GTX 570 is still a strong GPU.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 2:06:51 PM

About your cooler question: ASRock motherboards have a feature they call "combo cooler option," which means you can mount any LGA775/1366/1156 cooler. So yes, your pretty decent 1156 cooler will work just fine.

As far as your graphics quandary is concerned, I think the first thing we should know is what power supply you have (make and model) - even if it's listed as something like an 800W PSU, it may not be able to power two 570s.

I'd say that if your PSU and thermals are all good for another video card, then it'll likely be your best bang-for-buck option. If you'd prefer the single-GPU option, a Radeon 7970 is quite a bit faster than a 570 (and is right around your budget).
December 7, 2012 3:18:05 PM

What does that motherboard have that warrants the $215 usd price? I have the ASUS P8 Z77 LK which supports 2 way SLI and a 4.5GHz 3570k (haven't tried to go higher) with no issues.... for almost $100 usd less than the one you picked out.

EDIT: And just saw that you selected DDR3-2400 ram. Why not get 1600MHz for half the price?
December 8, 2012 8:26:59 PM

Hi again guys. Valuable information and advice so thanks for that. I want to answer a few of your queries and pose yet more questions though :-)

@All: I think by the sounds of it I am best waiting for the next series of graphics cards to come out from the sounds of it. bc5 has a point there.

@ehangar: Can you recommend other motherboards based on my other components. I believed the Asrock to be very highly rated to get the most out of my system, I also would like to RAID 5+ 2tb SATAII hard drives mirrored and striped so the motherboard would have to be capable of that. I went for the 2400mHz figuring that at some stage I might be able to make use of it's full power, plus it was cheap and I needed to order £50 of stuff to get free delivery :-)

Oh and my PSU is a 1000w one, can't for the life of me remember the brand and it's buried a little at the moment, it's held up to having dual high-powered Crossfire cards in the past though so it should be up to most tasks :-)
!