Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First HTPC build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 22, 2013 4:05:03 AM

Hello everybody,

I am currently jumping into the world of HTPC and trying to build my first config.

I asking for your advices to make sure all the parts I am thinking of buying will be compatibles and will match my needs.

I am looking at a system to stream media from Netflix, Hulu, play blu-rays and HD-audio (group #6).

So far this is what I have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $615.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 22:49 EST-0500)

Thanks in advance for your help

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week or so
Budget Range: 400 to 600 USD
System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: Yes (Win or using a Linux distrib, I haven't decided yet)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon
Location: bay area, CA, USA
Parts Preferences: no preferences
Overclocking:No

EDIT: I've updated the config'.

More about : htpc build

January 22, 2013 4:15:21 AM

mini itx build :)  very appealing

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($43.94 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $540.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 01:17 EST-0500)
January 22, 2013 4:21:00 AM

In my opinion it's worth the extra for the i3-3225, it comes with the intel hd 4000, and a h77 mobo, with hdmi and support out of the box for the cpu.
Edit : this is a mention to the op build.

My suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($30.95 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $492.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

NCIX offers free shipping with 100$ in parts.
Also if the antec vp-450 is still out of stock there, get in newegg.
Related resources
January 22, 2013 8:00:39 AM

As an alternative viewpoint, here's an AMD build which is more than enough for your system usage and with better graphics. This build also includes the blu-ray drive and the required software for playback. Downside is that it lacks an SSD and only has a 1TB drive. You could probably up it to 2TB and stay under budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $522.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 04:55 EST-0500)
January 22, 2013 12:43:12 PM

AMD Radeon said:
mini itx build :)  very appealing

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($43.94 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $540.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 01:17 EST-0500)


I like this build a lot but keep in mind he wants a Blu Ray drive, so that may put him over budget, especially if you add Windows. Since this is strictly for HTPC, I would go with a 64GB SSD. Plenty of room for the OS.

I also prefer the more traditional looks of the Silverstone case from the other builds, but that is personal preference.

I would definitely recommend checking out Ubuntu/XBMC before you spend that much of your budget on Windows.

I am currently running Ubuntu HTPC/XBMC using Celeron G540 with no problems on Hulu. Only problem was with XBMC, there is a bug that runs the CPU at 100% during the home screen that took me forever to figure out (turning off the RSS feed fixed it).
January 23, 2013 1:50:56 AM

Thank you all of you for your suggestions.

On djangoringo advice, I will go for the i3-3225 instead of the i3-3220, there is no a big price difference.
I picked a 2TB hard drive.
I will go for a 64GB SSD but I don't really understand what is the difference between those drives Samsung MZ-7PC064B/WW and Samsung MZ-7PC064D/AM. BTW, all Samsung SSD 64GB drive are out of stock on Newegg, any suggestion on a different brand or place to shop?

As Aristotelian said, I will probably try a Ubuntu or an XBMCbuntu distribution. It is always possible later to change for Windows.

Here is the configuration updated:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $615.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 22:49 EST-0500)

It takes me a little bit over my budget but not a big deal.

What do you think of that setup?
January 23, 2013 1:54:20 AM

looks good sambotte but dont u need a tvtuner box to stream netflicks to ur tv?

January 23, 2013 2:21:54 AM

Why would he need a TV tuner to stream Netflix? All he should need is an HDMI cable (which Newegg has for about 2 bucks). You would only need a TV tuner to watch/record cable channels through his PC.

OCZ is a brand that seems to get good reviews for SSD. I have one and so far no problems after two months of use.
January 23, 2013 2:25:21 AM

SamBotte said:
Thank you all of you for your suggestions.

On djangoringo advice, I will go for the i3-3225 instead of the i3-3220, there is no a big price difference.
I picked a 2TB hard drive.
I will go for a 64GB SSD but I don't really understand what is the difference between those drives Samsung MZ-7PC064B/WW and Samsung MZ-7PC064D/AM. BTW, all Samsung SSD 64GB drive are out of stock on Newegg, any suggestion on a different brand or place to shop?

As Aristotelian said, I will probably try a Ubuntu or an XBMCbuntu distribution. It is always possible later to change for Windows.

Here is the configuration updated:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $615.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 22:49 EST-0500)

It takes me a little bit over my budget but not a big deal.

What do you think of that setup?



First you don't need the mini itx board, it just add to the cost, that htpc case supports the h77m, the h77m is better.
Second go with a 128GB ssd not a 64GB one, i listed a fast one with 128GB, the a-data is a good ssd for the buck.
A quality psu with 300-400w is more than enough, that system will not pull more than 150w at load(really the maximum, but peak doesn't reach 100w)
There are cheaper bluray drivers/writers as fast no need for pay more.
So my suggestion :


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 400W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
January 23, 2013 2:47:39 AM

no need for an i3 for an htpc. also the amd has a good integrated gpu, so u can do a bit of gaming on the side.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z5ln
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z5ln/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z5ln/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus F2A55-M/CSM Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 1080P HTPC Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($55.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $535.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 23:46 EST-0500)

Base Total: $520.90
Shipping: $14.99
Total: $535.89

January 23, 2013 4:48:30 AM

djangoringo said:
First you don't need the mini itx board, it just add to the cost, that htpc case supports the h77m, the h77m is better.
Second go with a 128GB ssd not a 64GB one, i listed a fast one with 128GB, the a-data is a good ssd for the buck.
A quality psu with 300-400w is more than enough, that system will not pull more than 150w at load(really the maximum, but peak doesn't reach 100w)
There are cheaper bluray drivers/writers as fast no need for pay more.
So my suggestion :


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 400W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Thanks a lot djangoringo, that looks pretty good to me.
I am going to take a look at that will let you know what I choose.
January 23, 2013 1:34:55 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8qV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8qV/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z8qV/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($90.41 @ eCost)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 400W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $533.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 10:34 EST-0500)

Base Total: $524.90
Shipping: $8.41
Total: $533.31

u dont need a stronger i3 dual-core this will do just fine, also he dint write the final price.

witch is $584.91


January 23, 2013 1:35:27 PM

just saved u 30$ right there.

January 24, 2013 4:03:41 AM

iceclock said:
just saved u 30$ right there.


Thank you for your suggestions iceclock.


djangoringo said:
First you don't need the mini itx board, it just add to the cost, that htpc case supports the h77m, the h77m is better.
Second go with a 128GB ssd not a 64GB one, i listed a fast one with 128GB, the a-data is a good ssd for the buck.
A quality psu with 300-400w is more than enough, that system will not pull more than 150w at load(really the maximum, but peak doesn't reach 100w)
There are cheaper bluray drivers/writers as fast no need for pay more.
So my suggestion :


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 400W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Somebody recommend me to go with a smaller power supply inside the ML03B case. Something like the FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX.
Plus the memory cost $10 more than yesterday, that brings the total to $600:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: FSP Group 300W 80 PLUS Certified Micro ATX Power Supply ($45.94 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $600.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 00:57 EST-0500)

Any thought?

January 24, 2013 4:09:43 AM

No worries, the atx psu fits the case, no need to spend in a micro atx psu.
January 24, 2013 4:18:08 AM

djangoringo said:
No worries, the atx psu fits the case, no need to spend in a micro atx psu.


Thanks for the quick response.
I will then go for this setup.
January 24, 2013 1:10:34 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($23.17 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $570.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 10:10 EST-0500)

Base Total: $566.07
Shipping: $3.99
Total: $570.06


just saved u some mony

January 25, 2013 12:46:34 AM

iceclock said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjvt/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($23.17 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $570.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 10:10 EST-0500)

Base Total: $566.07
Shipping: $3.99
Total: $570.06


just saved u some mony


Not bad, I've already purchase some of the parts for the different config (like CPU).
January 25, 2013 12:55:12 AM

whats left to buy?

January 25, 2013 2:55:09 AM

SamBotte said:
Not bad, I've already purchase some of the parts for the different config (like CPU).



You did it right, the i3-3225 has the intel hd 4000 and it's an ivybridge cpu, the other i3 is a sandybridge cpu with intel hd 2000, even the normal i3-3220 has a better gpu, which is the intel hd 2500.
Tdp wise both are 55w the ivybridge vs 65w of the sandybridge.
Good luck with your build.
January 25, 2013 3:14:56 AM

yes cheers as well.

January 25, 2013 7:08:21 AM

Thanks to both of you for your help.
I will post updates with the build.
January 25, 2013 12:36:30 PM

sounds good dude.

March 3, 2013 7:52:55 PM

Hey guys,
This is exactly the thread I need.
I want to build my own HTPC (retiring an old Sony XL301!) and I'm gonna just copy this setup.

Whats the story with graphics and audio though? I see no mention of a graphics or sound card here.

Thanks for the help.
March 3, 2013 7:57:24 PM

You don't need one. These days, graphics processing is integrated in the CPU, and audio is in the motherboard. You only need extra GPU for gaming. The above build will be sufficient for HTPC use (and you could even go down to Celeron G540 if you want to keep your budget down).
March 4, 2013 2:30:03 AM

I am using this setup for about a month now and it is working pretty fine.

I went for XBMCbuntu.

As Aristotelian said, I am using the integrated GPU and audio card.
!