Status
Not open for further replies.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I'm getting the AMD radeon HD 7970 and will it be enough to run games in 3D?
For what I know is that I have the 6870 (1080p, not 3D) which runs high on BF3 at 40ish FPS, which the 7870 is about x2 that.

Solution

If you go AMD, make sure to get an HD3D monitor with displayport, or one specifically made to work with AMD and dual link DVI-D. HDMI will not give you what you want until HDMI 1.4b is available. That means you will likely want to get a Samsung monitor, as they appear to be the only ones doing active shutter for AMD systems.

You'll have to turn down settings for it to work well, but you may also be able to use virtual 3D offered in the Tridef software, which is sort of a cheat method of 3D, but lowers the quality by adding a bit of a blurry halo around objects.

In general, as everyone has said, 3D Vision is much easier to use, and...

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

No, I'm getting AMD for the best for what I have for my money. My other choice was a GTX 680 which I did not want to buy a 2GB graphics card.
How about you make that const int a pointer now huh? Also you put it as a float not a int.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

According to C++ it would be one, probably because it's closer to 1 then 2;

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

+1 to that. I don't think you'll need to worry about 2GB being insufficient for a long time yet.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
My single GTX 570 was running 3D on my Vizio 47inch TV. It would only run at 720p which was half the resolution I was used to playing. I believe it was the TV's limitations though. It was running on the hotter side in BF3. I only played like that for a little bit cause BF3 in 3D did look AMAZING!!!!!!! but my K/D was suffering cause I couldn't play competitively at that resolution, and I was too busy most of the time checking out the graphics.

My experience w/ 3D gaming is that it does look AMAZING!!! but nothing is precise. so you will be absolutely 500% amazed at how awesome it is to run into a room w/ a shotty and take care of business, but you won't be able to hit anyone at any distance, due to the 2 separate images to each eye is off center. In other words, there is no center view of anything. There is what things look like from slightly to the right and slightly to the left of what you are looking at and you have to kind of put whatever you was the center of the cross hairs to be in between both views... I'm sure it's better at full HD 3D, but will prly still be apparent.

tl;dr
It will prly run stereoscopic 3D on the hotter side, maybe not at highest settings, but it should run okay.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Well, would the GPU be good enough that's all I'm asking. I don't care about HD3D vs NVIDIA 3D.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Thanks.

I'm ok at lower settings.

It was supposed to be a float, however, I accidentally made it int and then spent half of the day searching for a bug. Finally I found that ingenious piece of code and I thought I would document it :p.

While 3D isn't really meant for competition, you can solve most your aiming issues by using the Laser site. With Nvidia, that is ctrl-F12, after it's on, you can save it for that game by hitting ctrl-F7.

Though I must say, with Metro 2033, I enjoyed turning off the laser site for added realism.

If you go AMD, make sure to get an HD3D monitor with displayport, or one specifically made to work with AMD and dual link DVI-D. HDMI will not give you what you want until HDMI 1.4b is available. That means you will likely want to get a Samsung monitor, as they appear to be the only ones doing active shutter for AMD systems.

You'll have to turn down settings for it to work well, but you may also be able to use virtual 3D offered in the Tridef software, which is sort of a cheat method of 3D, but lowers the quality by adding a bit of a blurry halo around objects.

In general, as everyone has said, 3D Vision is much easier to use, and less buggy, but HD3D is getting better.

Solution

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Haha I've done that :) What do you code in?

Status
Not open for further replies.