Need a basic graphics card for Dell 531s...newbie here

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Dell
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 12:28:41 PM

I have been having trouble with my Dell 531s for several weeks now. During a move, I believe the graphics card was damaged on the outside where the monitor adapter plugs in. A few of the pins got bent and are broken. I have screen issues, and have to keep rebooting and using the normal monitor cable just to see anything. I'm a newbie, so please be nice.

We just had twins, so I need to try to get this fixed with low cost. I don't game at all on it, and just need it for basic paperwork, word programs, facebook, and internet, etc.

I also have maxed out the storage at 250gb. I've got 230 of it filled and I'm sure that has something to do with it running a little slow.

I already have 4gb of RAM which I believe is the max that it can handle.

I'm looking to start this thing over. I would like to wipe everything, replace the graphics card, get it running better, and install Win 7.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't know specifically what kind of graphics card I need to get? Right now it has a radeon x1300x/x1550. I want to use something similar, because I don't think I'm tech saavy enough to replace the power supply.

I'm also considering upgrading the hard drive, which doesn't seem to hard to do, so any suggestions on what I need to get there would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

John

More about : basic graphics card dell 531s newbie

a c 291 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:06:17 PM

For your needs, something like HD 5450 would be perfect:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Though, could you be more clear about the restarting part? Maybe just not graphics card got damaged?

To upgrade a hard drive, it's simple: pick out how much space you need or how much you want to spend. Generally, 1 TB drives have the best space/price ratio.

m
l
December 7, 2012 1:08:57 PM

Looks like that card has a 350watt min...don't think it will work?
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 2:38:28 PM

Well, what power supply unit you have? Don't look at those requirements, the card will consume 20 watts at most. That's very similar to your current card.
m
l
a c 204 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 2:54:21 PM

The 5450 actually uses less power than a x1550/1330 but performs better. The stated requirement just tries to estimate what other components you would have as well as bad quality psus that can't supply their rated power.
m
l
!