Best version of Radeon 6670 for my A8 3870k

IKatar

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello, I was wondering what is the best version of Radeon 6670 for my A8 3870k to dual graphic it.

Should I get ddr3 or ddr5? would the integrated 6550 gpu make it go down to ddr3?
and should I get 1gb or 2gb?

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Get a 1GB version. The max main memory you can assign for your APU in your motherboard BIOS is likely 1GB so having 2GB on the video card will be overkill. The type of memory on the video card has nothing to do with the type of memory you have on the motherboard, nor with CFing the APU with the GPU.

So, I would recommend sticking with a 1GB HD6670. Whether using GDDR3 or GDDR5 on the HD6670, get the GDDR2 (you can still get the 2GB version if you want because if you decide not to CF with the APU, you'll have the greater capability).

Please note this, when you set up CF with the APU and the GPU (HD6670), the APU is the primary video device. That means you connect the monitor to your motherboard's video output. The HD6670 will be the secondary device (also why the type of memory is not an issue).

Good luck!

EasyTransfer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
I would recommend the 7750 it also doesn't need power from the psu and runs a lot better, I upgraded from 6670 to 7750 made such a difference and the 7750 is not much different in price if not the same. And as it goes with what version for both gpus I would get a sapphire version since they are one of the most popular and give loads of freebies like Hdmi cable, dvi to VGA etc.

Go for a 7750 definitely way better then 6670 and not much difference inprice also consider getting it from amazon very cheap and reliable :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is a good recommendation if you have no plans to Crossfire the APU with the HD7750.

In general, I recommend using the single fastest GPU you can afford. Both CF and SLI can present technical challenges that can drive you crazy (just search the forums on the term micro-stutter).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, using a single HD7750 will outperform a APU/HD6670 Crossfire configuration is nearly every instance. That is why someone recommended the HD7750. Using a single HD7750 will also alleviate micro-stutter.

If you want to use a HD6670 + the APU, then by all means do so. Just go with the recommendations I made earlier.

Good luck!