Sign in with
Your question

Random Blank Blue Screen, Advice Appreciated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 1:17:29 PM

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read and respond (if you do!). Also, thanks for all the info I've gotten off of these forums in the past.

So, I'm getting a random blue screen. Lighter blue than I remember the Blue Screen of Death, and there is no text. I just built the computer recently after hunting for Black Friday deals... and I've already gotten a random blue screen twice. Seems the only thing I'm able to do is power cycle the box when this happens.

Neither time occurred during any intensive activity. The first time was a few minutes after I had installed steam, I believe. The second time I was on the net using Firefox.

Possibly related: I've been playing a bit of Warlock: Master of the Arcane, and I notice some flickering on parts of the screen sometimes. It's as if I'm looking "under" part of the hex map for a split second. I think this may be an issue with the game itself, however. I've played a small amount of Torchlight 2 and noticed no graphics issues there.

My next thought was trying to use the on board graphics of the motherboard for a while and see if it occurred again, to possibly narrow it down to just the graphics card itself... but I'm trying to get to the root of the issue as quickly as possible, because I think I may have to send the graphics card back. I'd rather get that done as quickly as possible so that it doesn't become a nightmare trying to return a product I've had for more than 30 days.

So a quicker method of troubleshooting, or any other advice, would be greatly appreciated.

My build is below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (The Ghz OC edition)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Edit: I downloaded the latest Catalyst as soon as everything was built (before the first Blue Screen), so my driver should be up to date.

Again, thank you!

Madvena
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 1:45:50 PM

Do you have access to another graphics card you can use?
m
l
December 7, 2012 2:34:20 PM

Rockdpm said:
Do you have access to another graphics card you can use?

No, the motherboard does have on board graphics though...
m
l
!