MOH Spearhead uninstallation problems

Hello again mates

Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
complete with again, nothing done.

Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
12 answers Last reply
More about spearhead uninstallation problems

    Carrot,

    If you're just interested in clearing up the clutter, as a work-around you
    could simply find the folder on your hard-drive where the game was installed
    and delete it. This may not remove things like registry keys or save-game
    files, but the bulk of the program will be gone.

    As to the issue with the game not uninstalling properly, is this limited to
    only MoH or have you tried to uninstall other programs and they don't
    uninstall either?

    Are you running any third-party system management software (Norton, McAfee)
    which could be interfering with the normal Windows uninstall process?
    --
    Thanks,
    Nick Kritselis [MS]

    "Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello again mates
    >
    > Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
    > Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever
    > attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
    > complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
    > disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt
    > first,
    > it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying
    > its
    > complete with again, nothing done.
    >
    > Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
    > REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it
    > won't
    > uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is
    > Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA.
    > I'm
    > still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!

    Hi again

    Thanks for the idea of finding and deleting the folders on my hard drive. I
    do accept this is a good idea but I would rather get rid of all of it,
    including the registry keys and saved games.

    This problem is limited to MOH as I tried uninstalling Worms World Party
    (rules) and that worked fine.

    I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2004 but I
    don't understand how they only intefere with this game (if they are the
    problem/s)

    Anyway if you and anyone else has got an idea please post it here. THANKS IN
    ADVANCE :-)

    "Carrot" wrote:

    > Hello again mates
    >
    > Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
    > Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
    > attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
    > complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
    > disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
    > it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
    > complete with again, nothing done.
    >
    > Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
    > REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
    > uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
    > Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
    > still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!

    Carrot,

    Norton Anti-Virus and Personal Firewall shouldn't affect game uninstalls.

    It also occurred to me that I forgot to ask how you're trying to uninstall
    MoH. Are you using the "Uninstall MOHAA" shortcut from the ALL PROGRAMS->EA
    GAMES->MEDAL OF HONOR ALLIED ASSAULT group, or are you uninstalling from
    ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS? And have you tried it the other way?

    If you have tried it both ways and still cannot get the game to uninstall, I
    would suggest this:

    1) Check on your system for C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
    Information\ (this is a hidden folder, so you may not see it unless you
    un-hide hidden files and folders on your system) and inside this folder you
    should see one or more folders who's names look like this -
    {0DEA94ED-915A-4834-A87E-388D012C8E02}.
    2) Open each folder one at a time and open the Setup.ini file in each one.
    You should find in one if these files a line that reads something like
    "APPNAME=MOHAA". When you find the right folder, delete it - the folder and
    all of it's contents. This will trick Windows into thinking MoH is not
    installed.
    2) Run the setup program again. This should properly re-install the
    program.
    3) Uninstall MoH through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

    Hope this helps.
    --

    > Hi again
    >
    > Thanks for the idea of finding and deleting the folders on my hard drive.
    > do accept this is a good idea but I would rather get rid of all of it,
    > including the registry keys and saved games.
    >
    > This problem is limited to MOH as I tried uninstalling Worms World Party
    > (rules) and that worked fine.
    >
    > I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2004 but I
    > don't understand how they only intefere with this game (if they are the
    > problem/s)
    >
    > Anyway if you and anyone else has got an idea please post it here. THANKS
    > IN
    > ADVANCE :-)
    >
    > "Carrot" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello again mates
    >>
    >> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
    >> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However,
    >> whenever I
    >> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0%
    >> uninstallation
    >> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
    >> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt
    >> first,
    >> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying
    >> its
    >> complete with again, nothing done.
    >>
    >> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
    >> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it
    >> won't
    >> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC
    >> is a
    >> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA.
    >> I'm
    >> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hello yet again

    I had already tried uninstalling the games from both Remove programs and the
    shortcut on the all programs file path. After finding and deleting the folder
    I installed Allied Assault perfectly well. When I was about to re-install
    Spearhead, guess what, IT DIDN'T WORK! And allied assualt won't uninstall
    either.

    The only problem I can think that is when originally installing the game it
    didn't install uninstall files properly? Just a random guess! Any more ideas
    cause Im out of them!

    "Carrot" wrote:

    > Hello again mates
    >
    > Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
    > Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
    > attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
    > complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
    > disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
    > it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
    > complete with again, nothing done.
    >
    > Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
    > REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
    > uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
    > Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
    > still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Carrot,

    Here's how to uninstall a game when using Add-Remove programs fails:

    Step A: Start your computer in Safe Mode by holding down the F8 key.

    Step B: Reinstall the game to the same folder it was installed to originally,
    and then try to uninstall it again using Add-Remove programs. If
    that fails, delete it's folder and any save games in My Documents.

    Step C: Install and Run Regcleaner and if it finds any stray registry keys for the
    game, delete them: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

    Cheers,
    Jimmy S.

    Microsoft MVP Windows XP Shell/User: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
    Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

    "Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBCE61C4-8014-4770-B9FE-842E47EE9553@microsoft.com...
    > Hello yet again
    >
    > I had already tried uninstalling the games from both Remove programs and the
    > shortcut on the all programs file path. After finding and deleting the folder
    > I installed Allied Assault perfectly well. When I was about to re-install
    > Spearhead, guess what, IT DIDN'T WORK! And allied assualt won't uninstall
    > either.
    >
    > The only problem I can think that is when originally installing the game it
    > didn't install uninstall files properly? Just a random guess! Any more ideas
    > cause Im out of them!
    >
    > "Carrot" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello again mates
    >>
    >> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
    >> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
    >> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
    >> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
    >> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
    >> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
    >> complete with again, nothing done.
    >>
    >> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
    >> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
    >> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
    >> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
    >> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Well yet again hello fellow PC people

    I regret to say Jimmy that the safe mode idea didn't worked. After deleting
    the folders manually and using the program I downloaded with the link you
    supplied, it found the two registry keys (mohaa.exe and mohaas.exe.) I told
    the PC to delete them and it did. One problem does still remain: THE PC
    THINKS ITS STILL THERE and they can still be found in the add or remove
    programs part! This is startin to do my head in! Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    The Carrot thats losing all of its green hair due to frustration!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    My final hello

    Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
    version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
    anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
    a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
    you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.

    If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
    again.

    Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Carrot (Philip),

    Thanks for the kind words. It's good to hear that in the end you got your
    issue fixed. I understand how frustrating it can be when you have to try
    and try and try, but computers are sometimes like that. (Women are too...
    :-)

    If you encounter any other issues, feel free to post again.
    --

    > My final hello
    >
    > Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
    > version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it.
    > Thanks
    > anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make
    > this
    > a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first
    > time
    > you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
    >
    > If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway
    > thanks
    > again.
    >
    > Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Carrot,

    The registry software should detect the orphaned registry keys
    and offer you the option to remove them as well. Try it again?
    Another option afterwards would be to attempt to install the
    program over itself, as it may now work due to the changes.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FAC981C-441D-410A-91EE-D3BA98A635ED@microsoft.com...
    | Well yet again hello fellow PC people
    |
    | I regret to say Jimmy that the safe mode idea didn't worked. After deleting
    | the folders manually and using the program I downloaded with the link you
    | supplied, it found the two registry keys (mohaa.exe and mohaas.exe.) I told
    | the PC to delete them and it did. One problem does still remain: THE PC
    | THINKS ITS STILL THERE and they can still be found in the add or remove
    | programs part! This is startin to do my head in! Any other ideas?
    |
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | The Carrot thats losing all of its green hair due to frustration!

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Thanks for the kind words Carrot - it's been a pleasure!
    If only I was as clever with girls like I am with PC's!! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2B7DB2E-CD49-477D-9567-CB7BE6637505@microsoft.com...
    | My final hello
    |
    | Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
    | version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
    | anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
    | a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
    | you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
    |
    | If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
    | again.
    |
    | Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    'Spybot' has a function in its advanced mode which enables you to delete
    uninstall information. Anyone care to comment how effective that is?
    I am asking because I have never needed to use this facility.

    Carrot wrote:

    >My final hello
    >
    >Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
    >version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
    >anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
    >a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
    >you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
    >
    >If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
    >again.
    >
    >Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Thomas,

    If you start your own threads new questions, you'll have
    a much better chance to create an interest / discussion. :-)

    --

    "Thomas Kuck" <Kolossus@Sancharnet.in> wrote in message news:uEQgrgEAFHA.1908@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > 'Spybot' has a function in its advanced mode which enables you to delete uninstall information. Anyone care to comment how
    > effective that is?
    > I am asking because I have never needed to use this facility.
    >
    > Carrot wrote:
    >
    >>My final hello
    >>
    >>Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get
    >>rid of it. Thanks anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this a forum worth going to with PC game
    >>problems, even if you do fail first time you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
    >>
    >>If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks again.
    >>
    >>Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

Windows XP