MOH Spearhead uninstallation problems

January 10, 2005 11:17:08 AM

Hello again mates

Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
complete with again, nothing done.

Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:28:09 PM

Carrot,

If you're just interested in clearing up the clutter, as a work-around you
could simply find the folder on your hard-drive where the game was installed
and delete it. This may not remove things like registry keys or save-game
files, but the bulk of the program will be gone.

As to the issue with the game not uninstalling properly, is this limited to
only MoH or have you tried to uninstall other programs and they don't
uninstall either?

Are you running any third-party system management software (Norton, McAfee)
which could be interfering with the normal Windows uninstall process?
--
Thanks,
Nick Kritselis [MS]

"Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello again mates
>
> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever
> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt
> first,
> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying
> its
> complete with again, nothing done.
>
> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it
> won't
> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is
> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA.
> I'm
> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
January 12, 2005 12:53:05 PM

Hi again

Thanks for the idea of finding and deleting the folders on my hard drive. I
do accept this is a good idea but I would rather get rid of all of it,
including the registry keys and saved games.

This problem is limited to MOH as I tried uninstalling Worms World Party
(rules) and that worked fine.

I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2004 but I
don't understand how they only intefere with this game (if they are the
problem/s)

Anyway if you and anyone else has got an idea please post it here. THANKS IN
ADVANCE :-)

"Carrot" wrote:

> Hello again mates
>
> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
> complete with again, nothing done.
>
> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
January 12, 2005 2:45:38 PM

Carrot,

Norton Anti-Virus and Personal Firewall shouldn't affect game uninstalls.

It also occurred to me that I forgot to ask how you're trying to uninstall
MoH. Are you using the "Uninstall MOHAA" shortcut from the ALL PROGRAMS->EA
GAMES->MEDAL OF HONOR ALLIED ASSAULT group, or are you uninstalling from
ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS? And have you tried it the other way?

If you have tried it both ways and still cannot get the game to uninstall, I
would suggest this:

1) Check on your system for C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation
Information\ (this is a hidden folder, so you may not see it unless you
un-hide hidden files and folders on your system) and inside this folder you
should see one or more folders who's names look like this -
{0DEA94ED-915A-4834-A87E-388D012C8E02}.
2) Open each folder one at a time and open the Setup.ini file in each one.
You should find in one if these files a line that reads something like
"APPNAME=MOHAA". When you find the right folder, delete it - the folder and
all of it's contents. This will trick Windows into thinking MoH is not
installed.
2) Run the setup program again. This should properly re-install the
program.
3) Uninstall MoH through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Hope this helps.
--

> Hi again
>
> Thanks for the idea of finding and deleting the folders on my hard drive.
> do accept this is a good idea but I would rather get rid of all of it,
> including the registry keys and saved games.
>
> This problem is limited to MOH as I tried uninstalling Worms World Party
> (rules) and that worked fine.
>
> I am running Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2004 but I
> don't understand how they only intefere with this game (if they are the
> problem/s)
>
> Anyway if you and anyone else has got an idea please post it here. THANKS
> IN
> ADVANCE :-)
>
> "Carrot" wrote:
>
>> Hello again mates
>>
>> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
>> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However,
>> whenever I
>> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0%
>> uninstallation
>> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
>> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt
>> first,
>> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying
>> its
>> complete with again, nothing done.
>>
>> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
>> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it
>> won't
>> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC
>> is a
>> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA.
>> I'm
>> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
January 16, 2005 7:39:02 AM

Hello yet again

I had already tried uninstalling the games from both Remove programs and the
shortcut on the all programs file path. After finding and deleting the folder
I installed Allied Assault perfectly well. When I was about to re-install
Spearhead, guess what, IT DIDN'T WORK! And allied assualt won't uninstall
either.

The only problem I can think that is when originally installing the game it
didn't install uninstall files properly? Just a random guess! Any more ideas
cause Im out of them!

"Carrot" wrote:

> Hello again mates
>
> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
> complete with again, nothing done.
>
> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 8:44:31 PM

Hi Carrot,

Here's how to uninstall a game when using Add-Remove programs fails:

Step A: Start your computer in Safe Mode by holding down the F8 key.

Step B: Reinstall the game to the same folder it was installed to originally,
and then try to uninstall it again using Add-Remove programs. If
that fails, delete it's folder and any save games in My Documents.

Step C: Install and Run Regcleaner and if it finds any stray registry keys for the
game, delete them: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Microsoft MVP Windows XP Shell/User: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBCE61C4-8014-4770-B9FE-842E47EE9553@microsoft.com...
> Hello yet again
>
> I had already tried uninstalling the games from both Remove programs and the
> shortcut on the all programs file path. After finding and deleting the folder
> I installed Allied Assault perfectly well. When I was about to re-install
> Spearhead, guess what, IT DIDN'T WORK! And allied assualt won't uninstall
> either.
>
> The only problem I can think that is when originally installing the game it
> didn't install uninstall files properly? Just a random guess! Any more ideas
> cause Im out of them!
>
> "Carrot" wrote:
>
>> Hello again mates
>>
>> Well my mate came round for da night not long ago with Medal Of Honour:
>> Deluxe Edition (containing Allied Assualt and Spearhead) However, whenever I
>> attempt to uninstall the game by clicking on remove, the 0% uninstallation
>> complete box appears on the screen for about 10 seconds before totally
>> disappearing with nothing done. When I try uninstalling Allied Assualt first,
>> it comes up with 0% but about 10 seconds later shoots up to 100% saying its
>> complete with again, nothing done.
>>
>> Wierdest thing is I deleted a file in the Data folder and asked it to
>> REPAIR, and it did, but still won't uninstall! Don't have a clue why it won't
>> uninstall, just wanna clear up all the clutter/rubbish/ on my PC. My PC is a
>> Windows XP Packard Bell Pentium 4. Hope you lot are more helpful than EA. I'm
>> still waiting for a reply after emailing the problem 3 weeks ago!
January 19, 2005 11:15:01 AM

Well yet again hello fellow PC people

I regret to say Jimmy that the safe mode idea didn't worked. After deleting
the folders manually and using the program I downloaded with the link you
supplied, it found the two registry keys (mohaa.exe and mohaas.exe.) I told
the PC to delete them and it did. One problem does still remain: THE PC
THINKS ITS STILL THERE and they can still be found in the add or remove
programs part! This is startin to do my head in! Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

The Carrot thats losing all of its green hair due to frustration!
January 19, 2005 2:25:01 PM

My final hello

Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.

If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
again.

Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:31:29 PM

Carrot (Philip),

Thanks for the kind words. It's good to hear that in the end you got your
issue fixed. I understand how frustrating it can be when you have to try
and try and try, but computers are sometimes like that. (Women are too...
:-)

If you encounter any other issues, feel free to post again.
--

> My final hello
>
> Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
> version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it.
> Thanks
> anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make
> this
> a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first
> time
> you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
>
> If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway
> thanks
> again.
>
> Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:46:57 PM

Hi Carrot,

The registry software should detect the orphaned registry keys
and offer you the option to remove them as well. Try it again?
Another option afterwards would be to attempt to install the
program over itself, as it may now work due to the changes.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FAC981C-441D-410A-91EE-D3BA98A635ED@microsoft.com...
| Well yet again hello fellow PC people
|
| I regret to say Jimmy that the safe mode idea didn't worked. After deleting
| the folders manually and using the program I downloaded with the link you
| supplied, it found the two registry keys (mohaa.exe and mohaas.exe.) I told
| the PC to delete them and it did. One problem does still remain: THE PC
| THINKS ITS STILL THERE and they can still be found in the add or remove
| programs part! This is startin to do my head in! Any other ideas?
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| The Carrot thats losing all of its green hair due to frustration!

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:04:01 PM

Thanks for the kind words Carrot - it's been a pleasure!
If only I was as clever with girls like I am with PC's!! ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Carrot" <Carrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2B7DB2E-CD49-477D-9567-CB7BE6637505@microsoft.com...
| My final hello
|
| Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
| version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
| anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
| a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
| you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
|
| If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
| again.
|
| Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:07:04 PM

'Spybot' has a function in its advanced mode which enables you to delete
uninstall information. Anyone care to comment how effective that is?
I am asking because I have never needed to use this facility.

Carrot wrote:

>My final hello
>
>Just a quick note to say the problem is now fixed, I installed a trial
>version of the Tweak Power Pack 2005 and it managed to get rid of it. Thanks
>anyway for all of your ideas. People like you two (Nick and Jimmy) make this
>a forum worth going to with PC game problems, even if you do fail first time
>you're two determined people that will sort out any PC game problem.
>
>If only I was as clever with girls like you are with PC's!!!!! Anyway thanks
>again.
>
>Philip Morby, 15 from Hampshire, England

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:37:46 PM

Hi Thomas,

If you start your own threads new questions, you'll have
a much better chance to create an interest / discussion. :-)

--

!