Sign in with
Your question

UPS-PSU/AMD and Nvidia compatibility

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2013 4:33:03 PM

Hey guys, it has been a while since I built a computer and have a couple questions. First off, here’s the specs:

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
SSD: Verbatim 120 GB
HHD: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive (X3; RAID5)
P. Display: ASUS VE278H 27inch
S. Display: Asus VS198D-P 19Inch (X2)
P. GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5
S. GPU: Sapphire Nvidia 2900 XT 1 GB DDR4 (Already own)
PSU: Rosewill 1300W 80 PLUS GOLD
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W

Question One: This may be a dumb question, but this is the first time I will be using a UPS and there does not seem to be a general FAQ anywhere. Do I need a more powerful UPS? I figure since the computer has a 1300W PSU, the UPS will be insufficient. I also intend to plug in my external HHD and Logitech z5500 speaker (power outages revert settings, which is just more annoying than anything else).

Question Two: I already own the Sapphire (and am going to use it) and intend to let it cover the two smaller 19’s, while dedicating the 680 to primary 27” for optimum graphics. Will my two GPU’s cooperate?

Misc. Questions:
Is my PSU sufficient/overkill?
Should I upgrade to a better processor? What would be the bottleneck on this system?
Any other suggestions/comments/replacements?
January 22, 2013 7:37:47 PM

MatthewJMimnaugh said:
Hey guys, it has been a while since I built a computer and have a couple questions. First off, here’s the specs:

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
SSD: Verbatim 120 GB
HHD: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive (X3; RAID5)
P. Display: ASUS VE278H 27inch
S. Display: Asus VS198D-P 19Inch (X2)
P. GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5
S. GPU: Sapphire Nvidia 2900 XT 1 GB DDR4 (Already own)
PSU: Rosewill 1300W 80 PLUS GOLD
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W

Question One: This may be a dumb question, but this is the first time I will be using a UPS and there does not seem to be a general FAQ anywhere. Do I need a more powerful UPS? I figure since the computer has a 1300W PSU, the UPS will be insufficient. I also intend to plug in my external HHD and Logitech z5500 speaker (power outages revert settings, which is just more annoying than anything else).

Question Two: I already own the Sapphire (and am going to use it) and intend to let it cover the two smaller 19’s, while dedicating the 680 to primary 27” for optimum graphics. Will my two GPU’s cooperate?

Misc. Questions:
Is my PSU sufficient/overkill?
Should I upgrade to a better processor? What would be the bottleneck on this system?
Any other suggestions/comments/replacements?

First off, your PSU is TOTALLY overkill. Go for an 800w 80+ certified, and you will have room to upgrade even then. I'm not sure if you know this, but your old GPU if from ATI, so you will not be able to use it with the 680. I would recommend getting a Nvidia GT 210 as your low profile card. Upgrading the processor will depend on what you want to use this system for. What will you use this computer for? Everything will work great the way you have it set up, not sure what you mean by bottleneck.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 7:58:42 PM

Lots of this build is overkill
A gamer needs AT MOST 2 x4 gig of RAM
The expensive motherboard wont increase performance
and the PSU is more than twice as powerful as it needs to be

But mostly Im wondering why the secondary graphics card? and why such an old lower powered and hot unit at that . It will not work "with" the GTX 680 .
You could enable it in a profile , but since theres no advantage to that the best thing you can do with it is give it to someone you dont like much
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 12:16:52 AM

Yes, it is overkill for gaming, but I am only using it for gaming on occasion; it's purpose is something far more resource intensive than gaming.

Even so, the question still stands, will the cards work autonomously? The two cards are for separate screens (see original question), not SLI or any conjoined usage.

Also, can someone answer the question about the PSU/UPS issue?
m
l
January 23, 2013 12:24:21 AM

MylesMPC said:
First off, your PSU is TOTALLY overkill. Go for an 800w 80+ certified, and you will have room to upgrade even then. I'm not sure if you know this, but your old GPU if from ATI, so you will not be able to use it with the 680. I would recommend getting a Nvidia GT 210 as your low profile card. Upgrading the processor will depend on what you want to use this system for. What will you use this computer for? Everything will work great the way you have it set up, not sure what you mean by bottleneck.

Thanks for the response, first off. So the graphics cards are incompatible, even for separate screens? Also, the computer is partially for gaming, but also for high end video, audio, and image editing and by high end, I mean crazy high end, like 50,000pxX50,000px, multi layer high end.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 12:42:06 AM

MatthewJMimnaugh said:
Yes, it is overkill for gaming, but I am only using it for gaming on occasion; it's purpose is something far more resource intensive than gaming.

Even so, the question still stands, will the cards work autonomously? The two cards are for separate screens (see original question), not SLI or any conjoined usage.

Also, can someone answer the question about the PSU/UPS issue?

The two graphics cards will not work autonomously . But you can run multiple monitors from GTX
and if you use Windows8 you have great management features for the content of the screens . You can span the desktop across both , or have a desktop on one and application on the other etc .
I would use one large 30 inch monitor rather than two 19 inch units .

You can safely drop the power supply to 650 watts

and the UPS has to supply the power the computer draws , not the rated wattage of the power supply . Typically the total draw on a system like that would never exceed 350 watts under full load
m
l
January 23, 2013 1:11:02 AM

File away for future use... just in case the two NVIDIA cards don't play nice together. After installing a second NVIDIA GPU ( a 640 for PHYSX) to complement my 680, Windows would not load, only a blank screen after post. I thought my problem was power related, so upgraded to 950 WATT 80+ silver. Still no boot. removed all NVIDIA software and PC booted into Windows with both GPUs. Windows installed drivers... but after reboot windows would not load, got the blank screen after post again. After removing the 640 the PC would load windows without any issues. After much Google searching found the "magic solution", disable the NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service, now the PC boots with both different model NVIDIA cards installed without issues.
m
l
January 23, 2013 7:04:37 PM

MatthewJMimnaugh said:
Thanks for the response, first off. So the graphics cards are incompatible, even for separate screens? Also, the computer is partially for gaming, but also for high end video, audio, and image editing and by high end, I mean crazy high end, like 50,000pxX50,000px, multi layer high end.

Yes even for separate screens the card are incompatible. You will need two AMD card or two Nvidia card to do multi-card setups. That build will do great for video/picture production, and audio!
m
l
!