Help with overclocking my i5 3570k...

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Sup fellas, I've learned a little bit about frequency and ratio of overclocking for the CPU. But, my question is should i upgrade the frequency level and downgrade the ratio or vice versa. I'm just messing around with my CPU. not doing anything dangerous though.

Solution
I think whatever OC guide you were reading maybe outdated.

It is very easy with IB and SandyBridge chips for moderate overclockers.

Set everything to default, including the clock back to 100.
Set the RAM to it's XMP profile (or the settings that you have bought).

Then to Overclock, just change the CPU multiplier to raise it up. You can easily start with adding +4 or +6 or so.

Don't mess with any of the voltages or other custom settings.

That should be a pretty good boost until you read more.

Run prime95 or your tester of choice both in single thread (set CPU affinty) and all threads to see if things are stable

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I think whatever OC guide you were reading maybe outdated.

It is very easy with IB and SandyBridge chips for moderate overclockers.

Set everything to default, including the clock back to 100.
Set the RAM to it's XMP profile (or the settings that you have bought).

Then to Overclock, just change the CPU multiplier to raise it up. You can easily start with adding +4 or +6 or so.

Don't mess with any of the voltages or other custom settings.

That should be a pretty good boost until you read more.

Run prime95 or your tester of choice both in single thread (set CPU affinty) and all threads to see if things are stable

Solution

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Ok but what about the frequency? and what is the recommended settings for faster computing and such like rendering and gaming (ik its mostly the GPU).

rays info is wrong... but right. Its NOT easy with sandybridge/ivybridge. You need an unlocked K CPU to do what he suggests with the multiplier. And ivy bridge runs hot because intel sabotaged the heat spreader.

So do you have a K CPU? If you do don't mess with the frequency just the multiplier....

If you have a non K CPU you bought a bad one for overclocking and willl have to mess with the frequency, memory, timings, voltage etc.

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

read the title.. yes i do. so what should i set the frequency to and how many mhz should i set it to?

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

i saw a youtube video and it was exactly how you explained it. heres the video for future reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668ATnnBOZU&feature=channel&list=UL

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
quick clock:
* disable IGP so now Virtu can't be enabled (unless you want it, I don't)
* hit multiplier to 42
* disable turbo boost
* disable speed spectrum
* disable internal PPL overvoltage
* long and short duration times, set them both to 150...
* make sure power saving features are enabled:
C1E, C3/C6, CPU EIST
* set hardware monitor | fans no less than 62.5%
* XMP RAM
* save and exit
* boot into windows

check temps and decide if you want to go for higher clock..
this is what i did... i basically did the same thing as you did, but i enabled all those things and i offset the voltage by .065. if you click the video i linked, its basically the same thing. what is xmp ram btw?