Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will 2 GPUs get me what I want?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 7:02:09 PM

Hello,
Currently I have Geforce GTX 560 running two monitors. I'm a midweight gamer but I do love having ultra high graphics for when I do play. The problem is while I game I usually multi-task hardcore. I have VM's installing or streaming videos and such. Now I keep reading that 2 GPUs will help with the performance of the gaming (i.e. jump from 60fps to 120...) but I don't need that I'm quite happy with only 60. I want to know will buying another GTX 560 and using SLI allow me to use ultra high in games and still get good quality on my videos /at the same time/ because right now sometimes it just fails mid game.

More about : gpus

a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 7:17:09 PM

SLI scaling is not 100%+. Depending on the title it would be like 40%-60% improvement...

What are you willing to spend on a GPU?
Score
December 7, 2012 8:08:53 PM

Novuake said:
SLI scaling is not 100%+. Depending on the title it would be like 40%-60% improvement...

What are you willing to spend on a GPU?

I was just gonna get another GTX 560. I've read 2 medium cards tends to be better than a high end card.
Score
Related resources
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:11:57 PM

I don't think SLi will help in your situation.
Score
a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:21:44 PM

patman9 said:
I was just gonna get another GTX 560. I've read 2 medium cards tends to be better than a high end card.

While this is true mostly WITHIN A GIVEN GENERATION, it does not apply to the GTX6xx or HD7xxx.

You would be better of getting one newer card of a higher range...
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:21:46 PM

If you are trying to play video at the same time you are gaming you would be better off getting a second card and NOT using SLI. That way you could run your monitor/HDTV off of the second card and use the other for your gaming. I have ran Crossfire for quite a few years and have found that one high end card is usually better that running Crossfire/SLI. The problem comes in when you have a game that does not work correctly with Crossfire/SLI then you have to disable it anyway. Right now I run one 7950 in my high end rig and it does everything I need.

In my AMD FX-8350/Sapphire HD 7950 rig I also run a 5850 running though HDMI to my Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma so I can play HD movies though it and run my games at full speed with no problems. It works great that way.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:50:31 PM

bryonhowley said:
If you are trying to play video at the same time you are gaming you would be better off getting a second card and NOT using SLI. That way you could run your monitor/HDTV off of the second card and use the other for your gaming. I have ran Crossfire for quite a few years and have found that one high end card is usually better that running Crossfire/SLI. The problem comes in when you have a game that does not work correctly with Crossfire/SLI then you have to disable it anyway. Right now I run one 7950 in my high end rig and it does everything I need.

In my AMD FX-8350/Sapphire HD 7950 rig I also run a 5850 running though HDMI to my Panasonic 50" 3D Plasma so I can play HD movies though it and run my games at full speed with no problems. It works great that way.

Totally, if you can always go with 1 gpu as opposed to 2. I have an HD5970 dual gpu card and i LOVE IT! but I know in most cases even a GTX 680 in the forums shows a lower fps it would give a better overall game experience as there is no microstutter. I have experienced this as a friend had a GTX 480 on Warhead at the same settings as I had, and had an average of 40fps, I however had an HD5970 with an fps of 58fps but the 480 seemed smoother..........

mmmmm. Food for thought! :) 
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:58:59 PM

Novuake said:
While this is true mostly WITHIN A GIVEN GENERATION, it does not apply to the GTX6xx or HD7xxx.

You would be better of getting one newer card of a higher range...

So there are no benchie's of SLi'd 660Ti's giving higher framerates than a single 680?
Score
a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 9:40:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So there are no benchie's of SLi'd 660Ti's giving higher framerates than a single 680?

lol I see I expressed myself wrong...

What i meant is that 2x previous gen cards will not outperform this gen card of a considerably higher tier... So lets say 2 cards at 200$ each from the previous gen will not outperform one 400$ card from the current gen...
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 9:53:38 PM

Novuake said:
lol I see I expressed myself wrong...

What i meant is that 2x previous gen cards will not outperform this gen card of a considerably higher tier... So lets say 2 cards at 200$ each from the previous gen will not outperform one 400$ card from the current gen...

Fair 'nuff! I'll lower me shotgun. :lol: 
Score
a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 10:19:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Fair 'nuff! I'll lower me shotgun. :lol: 

I think I heard you **** it... lol...
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 10:37:47 PM

Novuake said:
I think I heard you **** it... lol...

Watch the language! :non: 
Score
a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 10:45:05 PM

Haha actually the work I use is not only used to refer to uhm male parts. But whatever. Guess a filter is necessary...
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 10:50:25 PM

Novuake said:
Haha actually the work I use is not only used to refer to uhm male parts. But whatever. Guess a filter is necessary...

I know what word you used (and it would be the correct term) but unfortunately the filter does not know that.
Score
a c 164 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 10:54:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I know what word you used (and it would be the correct term) but unfortunately the filter does not know that.

Moving along swiftly... :D 

OP sorry for the high-jack!
Score
a c 170 U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 11:26:00 PM

*We can NOT give any proper advice without two things:
#1 The BUDGET you are willing to spend to upgrade your system (best value MIGHT be an HD7850 2GB card)

#2 Your current system specs:

1) CPU (i.e. Intel i5-750)
2) RAM (amount, speed; i.e. 8GB DDR3 1600MHz)
3) Windows version (i.e. Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit)
4) Power Supply (i.e. Corsair TX-750W)

Summary:
- Again, we can't give proper advice without a BUDGET and your SPECS.
- If your CPU and PSU are adequate and you don't want to spend too much, the HD7850 2GB may be the way to go. Here's a good card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
*Note the ABOVE card has 2GB (many 7850's have 1GB) and is 1000MHz (many are 850MHz). It is only slightly more expensive than average.

- The following GTX670 is $360 and a card that I have been recommending due to its value and extremely low noise (a new design recently released). You ALSO need to factor in the TWO FREE GAMES (Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed III). Full price those are $120 together I think which would make the card $240 if you bought those games anyway.

Recommended MINIMUM specs:
1) i5-750/i7-860/920 or equivalent AMD CPU or HIGHER,
2) quality 550W or better PSU),
3) 4GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM (or higher)
4) 64-bit Vista, 64-bit Windows 7, or 64-bit Windows 8 (4GB limit for 32-bit also INCLUDES the Video RAM)

This card is an awesome value (including game package)->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

**My advice is splurge on the Gigabyte GTX670 I linked. It really makes a difference in games (provided your system supports it properly)

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 11:34:03 PM

I'm running two 560's in SLI with a single monitor at 1680 X 1050. (played with a single 560 for a while though)

With a single monitor, two 560's + SLI took Crysis 2 from "playable" on extreme /high res textures, to butter-smooth on ultra everything.

I don't know that this experience would translate to a double monitor setup though.
Score
February 23, 2013 8:48:34 PM

Best answer selected by patman9.
Score
!