PC Sometimes hangs in Login Screen, sometimes doesnt

After I turn my computer on and login, the computer will sometimes "hang" in the logging in screen. I'd say this happens maybe 1 outta 4 times I turn the computer on. If I restart the computer while its hanging it will usually startup Windows normally; but sometimes it will repeat the problem.
If I just wait it out the computer will successfully launch Windows eventually, usually taking about 15 mins
--------
I have tried running Startup Repair with a Recovery Disc and the Windows 7 disc I have but both say they found no problems.

The problems first started when I installed Windows onto my SSDs which I put in RAID 0. However the problems did NOT start immediately after I did that. They started a few weeks later. I mention this only because this never happened when Windows was installed on a single SSD

I have actually just been ignoring the problem for months because it happens so rarely.
Thanks for any help offered

-----
Setup (2 year old custom build)
6 answers Last reply
More about hangs login screen doesnt
  1. I know whenever I have had issues with Win7 booting up like that, 80% of the time it was something to do with drivers. You mentioned it didn't do this while Win7 was just installed on the SSD and not RAIDed, so it could very well have something to do with the RAID or its configuration.
  2. Nethriel12 said:
    I know whenever I have had issues with Win7 booting up like that, 80% of the time it was something to do with drivers. You mentioned it didn't do this while Win7 was just installed on the SSD and not RAIDed, so it could very well have something to do with the RAID or its configuration.

Your probably right. But how can I narrow down exactly what the probably is? RAID controller, drivers, or whatever the problem is?
    I hoping to avoid reinstalling windows
  3. Well you said that it will eventually kick over and boot into Windows but it takes 15mins. On a SSD, even if its a regular driver issue it shouldn't take that long, maybe like 5-6mins. So in my mind I'm thinking RAID controller.

Is there any issues appearing in Device Manager or anything coming up in Event Viewer?
  4. Nethriel12 said:
    Well you said that it will eventually kick over and boot into Windows but it takes 15mins. On a SSD, even if its a regular driver issue it shouldn't take that long, maybe like 5-6mins. So in my mind I'm thinking RAID controller.

Is there any issues appearing in Device Manager or anything coming up in Event Viewer?

I'm using the intel controller and not the marvel. Device manger is normal. I have not checked the event viewer yet.

My normal boot time is about 30 seconds IF it doesn't hang so I agree that it probably isn't the drivers.

But if its the contoller why does it only happen so rarely?
  5. Any help is appreciated.
  6. UPDATE

I played around with a few of my startup programs and for the past few days the problem seems to have gone away.
    Im not 100% sure yet since I only turn on my PC maybe once a day and I may just be getting lucky
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Computers Windows 7