Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU or GPU upgrade??? Help!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 7:42:31 PM

Hi folks,
I game a lot and have a dilemma. I need to spend £500- £600 in the next 6 months for my birthday (if I don't the money may no longer be there for quite a while). My current specs are i 920 @ 3.6ghz, 12gb DDR3 1400mhz and HD5970 gpu, 1000w Corsair PSU. Now this is a tidy system at the moment but for around £500.00 how would you best upgrade my PC. I'm thinking an i7 3770 at 4.4ghz and leave the video card alone as my 5970 dual gpu is still awesome but the Tesselation is not as good as I would have hoped. I also play FSX a lot and this game doesn't take advantage of dual GPU's. As this is CPU intensive would the CPU upgrade be better? In addition I love to play first person shooters and Anno 2070 which would favour a gpu. I'm in a bit of a pickle. So confused......

HELP! :pt1cable: 

More about : cpu gpu upgrade

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 7:45:24 PM

well, obviously if you change the CPU, that would require a motherboard change as well.

as far as that goes, i would say a 3570k would be a better option than the i7 you mentioned. that would leave some cash left over for an SSD.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 7:48:37 PM

If you have a 6-month window, I'd recommend waiting for the next generation of GPUs and then upgrading.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 7:55:00 PM

daswilhelm said:
well, obviously if you change the CPU, that would require a motherboard change as well.

as far as that goes, i would say a 3570k would be a better option than the i7 you mentioned. that would leave some cash left over for an SSD.


You're absolutely right I have picked an overclocked bundle which consists of a CPU, Motherboard and RAM which guarantees the overclock.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 8:41:37 PM

I would go for a CPU motherboard upgrade also if it were me. Your dual 5970's should serve you well atleast until the next generation GPU's come out. At that time the 6xx and 7xxx GPU's will go down in price and you can choose to get one of those or upgrade to the current generation at that time.
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2012 8:57:20 PM

The overclock indecently is 4.5ghz but I need a kick ass system that will complement each other? Maybe i've answered my own question......
December 7, 2012 10:42:37 PM

cuecuemore said:
If you have a 6-month window, I'd recommend waiting for the next generation of GPUs and then upgrading.


+1 to that. Why buy now when the new stuff is so close? I'm waiting for the new ranges because I know I'll end up regretting it in a few months if I buy now. I have that CPU by the way and used to have the same card too :-)
!