Corrupted Drivers?

Lotharian

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Here is the skinny. Friend brought his computer over so I could update all his drivers, and install some software and games (all legal).

I turn on his computer, download Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Steam, Origin, the flash and java updates, Firefox. I restart his computer as it said it needed to install updates. I restart, it installs just fine, computer turns on just fine.

I begin downloading bf3 to Origin (it came with his gpu), turn off sleep mode, and go to sleep myself.

I wake up and move the mouse, but the monitor does not come back on. I originally thought it was a monitor issue. Its not. After several attempts at getting it to turn on properly, startup repair starts, says something unkown is wrong, and it cant fix it on its own.

Heres where it gets dangerous.

I could get to the login screen now. I enter in password, screen goes black, the monitor says its going to sleep. This message loops about 3 times before finally restarting. Eventually it stops even getting that far. I press the power button and the computer beeps 5 times, gives the standard "im alive" beep, then nothing. Everything keeps spinning like normal, but no picture comes up.

I am able to get into safe mode. I system restore, wiping everything i downloaded from the computer. It restarts once, then comes back on as normal. I download Microsoft Security again, and Firefox, and restart the computer to ensure everything is back to normal.

It says it needs to install 57 updates. It does.

Computer goes off. I try to turn it back on.

5 beeps, regular speaker beep, then nothing.

I run the startup check. Says a corrupted driver caused this, and it couldnt fix it.

I try to check memory, it restarts, 5 beeps. Goes black.

Try again, another startup repair. This time it says unknown changes to system configuration may have caused the problem.

So here I am. I'm thinking of doing another system repair, then taking off the internet so it cant update and see if it turns on fine.

Barring that, an entire reinstallation of the windows 7.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea.

Please help.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If you can get it to boot to windows then you can do a repair of windows without loss of settings or data. You do this by selecting up-grade option at the install screen. With all the adding and removing of software you may have removed items needed for the system to run. If you can do the repair, then you will have to down load all updates anew. I would update windows 100% before installing anything else. Keep running update till it say there are no more optional or required updates. When updating software I always advise doing one program at a time and setting restore points before each. Yes it sounds tedious but.... Once you have windows running you can asses hardware using diagnostic tools if needed. This sounds like a software screw up to me.