Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Black Screens, Driver lost connection, Device_removed, hard reset.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 8:53:02 PM

I am hoping someone may have an answer to a problem that has been bugging me for some time hence tail between legs and asking for help :( 

I recently bought a second GTX480 to run in sli meaning a PSU, Motherboard and RAM upgrade to go with it.

I am pretty sure that I have everything at the correct settings. Motherboard is set to XMP meaning my i7 2700k is @ 3.9ghz, Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 @ 1600mhz. Both cards are at stock speeds I am running 306.97 drivers I am at a loose end as to what the solution to my problem is. Mobo is ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 and PSU is a Corsair HX1050.

All temps are fine, custom water cooling and the second GTX480 is a Gigabyte with a custom 3 fan cooler strapped to it.

Ok, here is my problem that gives me several different error messages with different software. I have expirienced black screens using furmark completely locking up my computer needing a hard reset. In fact more like a power down and then power back on again. Reset hangs.......................

In Heaven 3.0 I get a message telling me that a device has been removed suggesting loss of connection with GPU or GPU's. In Dirt3 very rarely I get a display driver stopped responding issue ( not needing to reset my system ) In Crysis Warhead I suffered black screen crashes all over the place so un-installed. In Max Payne 3 I got black screen crashes back to desktop so un installed.

The only benchmark software which appears to be ' stable ' for my system is 3dmark11 which is great but doesn't help me much.

Maybe somebody has had similar issues?? I have run mem tests, prime and windows memtest to rule out a duff RAM stick. Positive results everytime!!! Scratching head is getting boring.......

Suggestions I have looked into on other internet posts are lack of power going to my card or cards which seems to me the most likely cause to my problem. I have therefor increased the voltage on both cards, still I have the same issues.

I also read a post somewhere saying that my PSU might not be up to the job yet I read elsewhere that it should be ample.

Every now and then I get a great gaming expirience or pass a benchmark with good scores giving me a little fake hope that everything will be fine from now on....like a boy whistleing in the wind until BAM CRASH CRASH CRASH. :fou: 

Would somebody with some expirince oe expertise surrounding this issue please bless me with a solution!!!!????

Many Thanks in advance

George :na: 
December 7, 2012 11:43:04 PM

Start with running memtest86 overnight.

btw - raising the voltage on the cards INCREASE their power consumtion. You need to lower them back to stock. Are both cards the same? The same amount of ram, the same clock speeds?
December 8, 2012 6:31:12 AM

popatim said:

btw - raising the voltage on the cards INCREASE their power consumtion. You need to lower them back to stock. Are both cards the same? The same amount of ram, the same clock speeds?

Hi Popatim,

Thank you for your response. I shall run memtest86 over night tonight. I have done several tests so far, prime over night but not memtest86 over night. I will do this and post results.

I realize that increasing the voltage increases the power consumption, I did it simply to test whether or not it would make a difference. As it did not both cards at back at stocl settings.

Both cards are not identical. One is a Galaxy GTX480 and the most recent purchase is a Gigabyte GTX480. They are both running at the same speeds ' stock ' it was my understanding that if they were the same chips and speeds then they should be ok!?

Please reply if you have any more info.

Many Thanks

George
Related resources
December 8, 2012 8:01:43 PM

popatim said:

Hi popatim, I ran the memtest86 most of the day with no errors. Any more suggestions? Im still scratching my head.

Many Thanks in advance.

George
December 10, 2012 9:28:17 PM

SOLVED...............I think. If any one else reads this thread, what I had to do was down-clock both cards by 50 on both the core and memory. Everything appears to be spot on now!!!!!
!