First Time Gaming Build Questions!

Hey Everyone,
I have been working on my first time build and I've come across a few questions. First, let me show you my PC components:

Case: Raidmax Blackstorm (White)
Processor: AMD A-10 5800k
Mobo: Biostar Hi-Fi A85X
RAM: G.SKILL SNIPER 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
PSU: Raidmax 530W
GPU: ?

As you can tell, I'm on a bit of a budget.

Question #1: I want to play Skyrim on Ultra with some photo-realistic texture packs at 1080p (30+ FPS). I am looking for a GPU that will satisfy these needs. I am a bit worried about bottle-necking with my not-so-powerful CPU. I was thinking the Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB. I know this card will handle my needs, but it is a little on the expensive side. Also my 530W PSU is cutting it a little close, don't you think? Anyway, if there is a better option out there, I would love to hear it!

Question #2: I listen to a lot of music (Pink Floyd :D ) and the Motherboard I bought is designed just for that! It provides shockingly high 24-Bit 192khz sound! I plan on connecting this to my 5.1 Channel surround sound using an HDMI cable. Problem is, if I have a graphics card I will have to route the video and audio through the card, right? Will I be losing out on my HD sound?

Question #3: I'm sure you get this alot, but is their any advantage of 16GB RAM over 8GB? Is it enough for another $50? Will I notice a performance boost? My RAM already scores a 7.9 WEI.

Question #4: Is the FM2 socket Mobo I bought future-proof (2-3 years)? Will they continue to release FM2 socket processors?

Thanks so much!
1 answer Last reply
More about first time gaming build questions
  1. Your PSu should be replaced ASAP. Look for something from Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair.

No advantage of 16gb over 8gb for gaming. Most games barely use 3 or 4 gb.

No, you still run your audio from the motherboard not the GPU.

Your CPU is a bit on the weak side for gaming with a dedicated GPU. You would have been better off with an fx-6300 for the money. Your CPU however shouldn't bottleneck a 7870.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems