Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is this a good PC for gaming on ultra?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 22, 2013 8:23:25 PM

Hi,
It's so much cheaper to build your own so i went online and got some help from a friend to pick all these parts.
I am hopeful that this system will allow me to play games such as Guild Wars 2, BF3, Dayz on ultra settings with decent enough fps. (30-50)
Also my budget can only stretch to 520 (inc OS)

The Components:
Cooler Master K-series K350 - Usb3.0 Atx Case Side Window

AMD Bulldozer FX-6 6200 Black Edition 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Corsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze PSU 3 Year Warranty

Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache

Sapphire HD 7770 GHZ Edition 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Liteon Ihas120 20x Dvd±rw (dual ±r)/ram Sata Drive

£435.03

I will then add windows 7 to it.#

More about : good gaming ultra

January 22, 2013 8:28:15 PM

It looks pretty good... but you would need a better graphics card to get ultra settings. I would also recommend getting the FX-6300 it is a good amount better in games than the 6200. If you want ultra settings i wouldn't recommend any video cards lower than AMD 7850, GTX 660, or AMD 7870 - in order from weakest to most powerful FPS wise.
January 22, 2013 8:31:17 PM

Ye i'm torn whether to get the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2gb instead of the 7770 1gb or not :S its an extra £85 :S
Related resources
January 22, 2013 8:33:32 PM

Ah well the FX-6300 is only 10 more than the 6200... So you should get the FX-6300 for sure. Anyway you can save up before buying, the 7770 is not going to provide what you are wanting.
January 22, 2013 8:35:06 PM

Humble3 said:
Hi,
It's so much cheaper to build your own so i went online and got some help from a friend to pick all these parts.
I am hopeful that this system will allow me to play games such as Guild Wars 2, BF3, Dayz on ultra settings with decent enough fps. (30-50)
Also my budget can only stretch to 520 (inc OS)

The Components:
Cooler Master K-series K350 - Usb3.0 Atx Case Side Window

AMD Bulldozer FX-6 6200 Black Edition 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Corsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze PSU 3 Year Warranty

Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache

Sapphire HD 7770 GHZ Edition 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Liteon Ihas120 20x Dvd±rw (dual ±r)/ram Sata Drive

£435.03

I will then add windows 7 to it.#


first thing, save a few quid and get a Corsair 500W, you wouldnt need the full 600 for what you need it for
second, look at graphics that have 2GB dedicated instead of just 1GB, i myslef purchased the Sapphire 7870 2GB GDDR5, it runs all Crysis games and Far Cry 3 on ultra with no hesitation (also i have Corsair 500W)
also i wouldnt bother getting a 6 core processor, you'd only use the full 6 if you did things such as video editing, games these days hardly use more than 2 processors, i'd recommend a decent quad core.
if you take my advice and get a quad core and 500W psu, you'll save money here which you can put towards a better graphics card,
hope this helps
January 22, 2013 8:35:20 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-r...

Depends on your resolution. That bench I linked is on single player - multiplayer will not do as well so marginal on ultra at 1080.

Think you'll want a cpu cooler too and overclock.


Also keep in mind those are average FPS... so expect it to be in the 15 fps to 45 fps range... So half the time in "unplayable" framerates.
January 22, 2013 8:37:08 PM

shaun88 said:
first thing, save a few quid and get a Corsair 500W, you wouldnt need the full 600 for what you need it for
second, look at graphics that have 2GB dedicated instead of just 1GB, i myslef purchased the Sapphire 7870 2GB GDDR5, it runs all Crysis games and Far Cry 3 on ultra with no hesitation (also i have Corsair 500W)
also i wouldnt bother getting a 6 core processor, you'd only use the full 6 if you did things such as video editing, games these days hardly use more than 2 processors, i'd recommend a decent quad core.
if you take my advice and get a quad core and 500W psu, you'll save money here which you can put towards a better graphics card,
hope this helps


Wrong... Both GW2 and BF3 use as many cores as you have... as for Dayz I'm not sure. More and more games are being developed to take advantage of 4+ cores.
January 22, 2013 8:38:53 PM

Cheers :) 
How come the Radeon HD 6870 is got higher FPS than the 7770?
January 22, 2013 8:38:55 PM

Derza10 said:
Wrong... Both GW2 and BF3 use as many cores as you have... as for Dayz I'm not sure. More and more games are being developed to take advantage of 4+ cores.


i only have an Athlon II x4 640 model (3Ghz) and i can run BF3 on ultra
January 22, 2013 8:46:01 PM

shaun88 said:
i only have an Athlon II x4 640 model (3Ghz) and i can run BF3 on ultra


Multiplayer big maps? Sure single player is not very CPU intensive, it is multiplayer where the issues arise.
January 22, 2013 8:47:08 PM

Cheers everyone for the help :) 
January 22, 2013 8:52:27 PM

I have changed to a 500w corsair psu and upgraded the card to the sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2gb but kept everything else the same.

Its an extra £70 bringing the total to £505 (excluding the os)
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 8:58:20 PM

Derza10 said:
Wrong... Both GW2 and BF3 use as many cores as you have... as for Dayz I'm not sure. More and more games are being developed to take advantage of 4+ cores.


I don't agree. Please provide prove. :p 
January 22, 2013 9:09:45 PM

Gaming on Ultra and AMD CPU don't mix. Get a real gaming CPU. And yea, that 7770 won't get you Ultra in any game.
August 31, 2013 5:20:38 AM

Cpu's are fine as long as it is quad core....please remember that gpu is more important if you are building for pure gaming....

I suggest hd 7790 or higher and gts 650 ti or higher....that would set you up....:D 
September 7, 2013 8:42:52 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor (£99.59 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£38.69 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.85 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£125.37 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.68 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£57.56 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.94 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £468.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-07 16:42 BST+0100)
September 7, 2013 11:20:37 AM

choppy360 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor (£99.59 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£38.69 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£46.85 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£125.37 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.68 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£57.56 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.94 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £468.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-07 16:42 BST+0100)


I thought he said he needs an OS....
September 7, 2013 11:23:23 AM

He said it nine months ago - thread closing time now.
!