Sign in with
Your question

I want to replace mac pro with a superfast 16 core windows based music computer

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 8:26:55 PM

My mac pro 4 core 8 gb ram is not enough. I used to work on protools on mac pro in the studio and are used to a lot of power. however since I sold the studio and choose to do prof songwriting/producing at a home studio, cause that way I can work when inspired. I own a mac pro 2006 and wanted to get a 12 core 64 gb ram, but that will run me at almost 9000-10000 dollars, so since I really no longer are bound to mac and want a computer just for production, no connection to the internet, Working cubase with waves and tons of 3 party plugins that all support windows. I thought that I would go for homebuilt pc since that should not run me more than 5000-8000 dollars. I want to set up huge templates with vst instruments but at the same time add 30-40 tracks with waves efx and then master all at the same time. I DO NOT WANT TO BOUNCE ALL THE TIME. I am thinking a ssd480 or 960 gb, 3 harddisk each 3 terabyte 7200 rounds. a BAckup system external that can do a night back up of the day producion or maybe every 3-4 hour around 12 terabyte. I need a motherboard that can support 2 cpu s and one that will support 16 modules of ram atlest 128 gb ram(something that is future prof when windows open up for more ram support), a graphic card or 2 that can run my 3 19 inch screen and a 32 inch hdmi screen( i would be nice with 5-6 output for monitors cause I work with so many plugins). A
2 processors 8 core a total of 16 core. I have been looking at the AMD FX 8350 turbo 4 ghz 8 core. Is that a bad chose ? I have used mac fo rthe last 12 years and have no idea, but research tells me that intel seems to be better on windows 7 but on windows 8 when stable. windows 8 will be able to use the 2 times 8 core with a total of 16 cores. Some places say that amd are cheap and not reliable and some say they are good and the difference between intel and amd is the snob efx and price. what cooling ? what power suply , cables ram should I use. I do not have much experience building a pc, have a good friend that are super expert but he does not know what would be the best solution for music production only for gaming and servers and since all the music production software does not support windows server. I am asking for your help on a 16 core super music computer for windows. CAN YOU HELP ME....thanks in advance :o )
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 11:10:58 PM

Quote:

2 processors 8 core a total of 16 core. I have been looking at the AMD FX 8350 turbo 4 ghz 8 core. Is that a bad chose ? I have used mac fo rthe last 12 years and have no idea, but research tells me that intel seems to be better on windows 7 but on windows 8 when stable

I'm not going to say it's a bad choice but you won't be able to run a dual CPU configuration based around the 8350. Now you could go with say - the AMD Opteron 6234: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or the Intel Xeon E5-2650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then pair it with a dual CPU motherboard like this:

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- AMD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 11:24:03 PM

since your old computer dates from 2006 its going to be absolutely monstered by even a moderate build from 2013

You could build using a 6 core socket 2011 intel processor and quad channel memory

But I'd be surprised if you cant do everything you need with

i7 3770k with a big silent cooler on it
a Z 77 chipset mb
and 32 gig of RAM
January 22, 2013 11:56:06 PM

You could upgrade the one you own to last a bit longer. I just switched the dual core Xeons out of my Mac Pro with dual quad cores. Memory is reasonable and you can double what you have. I was able to upgrade my cpus for less than a hundred bucks. These are not the fastest, but in encoding/rendering, they still hold their own. An AMD 8350 can only be run as a single cpu. I don't recommend AMD for workstations. You could go with an 8 core Intel Xeon with 16 threads, but you are looking at a cpu thats 2 grand alone. But with 5 grand to spend, that's what I would go with.
January 23, 2013 12:34:30 AM

maestro0428 said:
You could upgrade the one you own to last a bit longer. I just switched the dual core Xeons out of my Mac Pro with dual quad cores. Memory is reasonable and you can double what you have. I was able to upgrade my cpus for less than a hundred bucks. These are not the fastest, but in encoding/rendering, they still hold their own. An AMD 8350 can only be run as a single cpu. I don't recommend AMD for workstations. You could go with an 8 core Intel Xeon with 16 threads, but you are looking at a cpu thats 2 grand alone. But with 5 grand to spend, that's what I would go with.

Agree. I upgraded my 2006 to dual quad cores as well which can also hold 32GB of Ram. But you'll be stuck at Lion. Personally I think Snow Leo ran better on the 2006 than Lion does. But I also know few audio people who still hold on to a few G4's just for some plugin libraries that they can't get anymore.

Maybe even catch a used or refurb 12 core Mac somewhere. Is a mac mini cluster even feasible?

But regarding the PC route. I kicked the mac to the curb once before and went AMD and had processors burn out, motherboards flake out. The last one I built I went all Intel across the board and it was solid and never had a problem. But like Maestro said you'll spend some coin on the Xeon's.

Just out of curiosity latency was always an issue with USB2 and audio interfaces. With USB 3 out is that still an issue?
!