Sign in with
Your question

Disabling onboard graphics WITHOUT monitor capability

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2012 10:22:20 PM

My screen went sideways and then no signal to the monitor. still have power to the fan. It's an older HP Pavilion a6130n machine with onboard nvidia graphics card. I bought a new raedeon hd5450, which is compatible with my PCI express, and upgraded my power supply. BUT I still have a black screen and power to the fan. So, either the computer is not reading the new graphics card automatically, or something else is wrong. I want to know if there is any way to physically/manually disable the onboard graphics card and then see if I have monitor/computer feedback.

More about : disabling onboard graphics monitor capability

December 7, 2012 10:28:31 PM

Does it boot, can you hear the pieso sound at start or the windows login sounds?
m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
a c 78 C Monitor
December 7, 2012 10:45:30 PM

You may need to BOOT into your BIOS (usually DEL, or F2) and find the setting related to graphics and change the default device.

This is what you are SUPPOSED to do, but I don't know HOW you can do it since if your onboard graphics have no output you can't see what you're doing:

1. Monitor hooked to Motherboard (onboard graphics)
2. Enter BIOS
3. Change so PCIe card is first (i.e. PCIe-> IGP instead of IGP->PCIe)
4. SAVE settings in BIOS and SHUT DOWN PC
5. Switch monitor cable to graphics card.

If this is the case, the ONLY way I know to fix the problem is to figure out the EXACT order of key presses to do this without seeing what you're doing.

The only way it would likely work is if someone else had the same motherboard.

*You also should verify it's not the MONITOR. It says "no signal" so that's likely the case. It may also not be the graphics chip itself but another part of your motherboard but it's hard to test anything with no screenoutput.
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 11:52:25 PM

njoy_rush said:
Does it boot, can you hear the pieso sound at start or the windows login sounds?

No, nothing but the fan. And the keyboard doesn't light up either. ...not looking so much like a graphics card, I guess.
m
l
December 7, 2012 11:58:45 PM

photonboy said:
You may need to BOOT into your BIOS (usually DEL, or F2) and find the setting related to graphics and change the default device.

The monitor and cord work on other computers. you're right, it might be something on the motherboard. I was trying to eliminate possible causes, but it's operating in the dark.

This is what you are SUPPOSED to do, but I don't know HOW you can do it since if your onboard graphics have no output you can't see what you're doing:

1. Monitor hooked to Motherboard (onboard graphics)
2. Enter BIOS
3. Change so PCIe card is first (i.e. PCIe-> IGP instead of IGP->PCIe)
4. SAVE settings in BIOS and SHUT DOWN PC
5. Switch monitor cable to graphics card.

If this is the case, the ONLY way I know to fix the problem is to figure out the EXACT order of key presses to do this without seeing what you're doing.

The only way it would likely work is if someone else had the same motherboard.

*You also should verify it's not the MONITOR. It says "no signal" so that's likely the case. It may also not be the graphics chip itself but another part of your motherboard but it's hard to test anything with no screenoutput.

m
l
!