Too much memory making my Athlon crash?

G

The computer shop that built my Athlon 1400 offered me another 512MB DRAM to bring the total system memory up to 1GB (2 x 512). However, when I install the extra chip, Windows 98 reboots halfway through bootup. I don't know if the same will happen in Linux, as I am trying to get my setup perfect before I install a Linux partition.

I have tried swapping the chips around and both of them work on their own, so it can't be fault memory. I have also tried putting the chips in different sockets, but all to no avail.

Can anybody suggest what the problem might be?

G

So what's the solution? Upgrade to ME? I am loath to start messing around with XP, as I use Linux for most of my day to day things, and only really use Windows for Games and Macromedia Director.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
You can change a setting in the registry but I forget which one it is. Check on the microsoft database or im sure someone here will know.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

FatBurger

Illustrious
ME is the spawn of Satan. It has all the downfalls of 98, and throws in several of it's own.

Get XP, it's what I've been using for the last few months. Or even W2k, if you'd prefer. Both are fine for games.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Both are a lot more sable than Windows 98. I did not have any problem with the games I have.

Is it possible to install W2K over the top of W98SE?

I'd be running W2K as FAT 32.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Yeah I'd be interested to know if you can do a Win 98 --> Win 2k upgrade as well.

And what about compatibility problems? If I run Win 2k, can I use all my existing 98 software, or will there be a few problems? The reason I still have 98 on my system, alongside Linux, is to guarantee compatibility with virtually any Windows software I need to run, in the event that I can't find a Linux alternative. If Win 2k has significantly reduced compatibility, then it kinda defeats the object of all this...

I believe W2K is as compatible with most software, its just the correct software. Every time I download something I get asked if its for W2K, W98 etc. I think this alone may be our answer. Need to re-load different versions of software for different operating systems.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This link might help explain a few things, and allow you to run with that much RAM:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31277#31277" target="_new">Too much memory?</A>

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
id recommend win2k, ive got it running with a gig here, still have to benchmark it to see how it performs against the 512 i had before...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
what do you maen that is is not as easy it is just as easy the only problem is that you have compile ntfs fileing system suport into the kernel. other than htat is is not different. at one point i was booting between 98 win2k pro, and redhat 7.2

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

The new memory is probably defective if Windows won't boot. Try testing it by setting the BIOS to do a full memory scan on startup versus a quick test. If that passes, then take out the old good module and try booting Win98 on just the new one. If it won't boot on remaining 512 MB then the new DIMM is probably defective. Take it back for a replacement. Windows 98 will boot on 1024 MB of RAM, but will only use the first 512 MB.

I have heard of people creating large RAM disk in the config.sys as a means to use up the excess memory capacity. You can then create your Windows swap file in the new RAM drive. The last thing you want to do is install Windows XP on an unstable system.

Whatever boots up, must come down!

FatBurger

Illustrious
98 can be upgraded to W2k, but I always recommend a fresh install. W2k to XP seems to be the exception, since not a whole lot of the kernel has changed.

Never, ever run W2k or XP on a FAT32. It doesn't work very well at all. W2k was designed for NTFS(5), and that's what you should run it on.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Can I have a dual boot with W2K as the second OS as NTFS?

I thought W2K as the second OS had to have part of its kernel loaded onto C: for booting, and therefore it had to be FAT 32.

Also, what games, apps or utilities can I kiss goodbye if I change to NTFS? Any?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I thought W2K as the second OS had to have part of its kernel loaded onto C: for booting, and therefore it had to be FAT 32.

No, I've had W2k on D:, and C: doesn't have to be FAT32.

Also, what games, apps or utilities can I kiss goodbye if I change to NTFS? Any?
I haven't found one yet that didn't work right.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 01/22/02 03:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>