Windows XP with Service Pack 2 wouldn't allow DirectX 9C t..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

Hi, I know that Windows XP Service Pack 2 has DirectX 9C built in. But the
problem is many games 'eg. The Sims 2' does not run with the built in
Service Pack 2 version of DirectX 9C and the games would run with the
distribute End user runtime version of DirectX 9C.
And because WindowsXP with Service Pack 2 already has DirectX 9C it does not
allow the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c to be install again. Is
there any way to override this default behaviour of Windows XP and allow the
distribute runtime DirectX 9c to be install?????? I believe there are
certain files/registry keys missing for the Service Pack 2 integrate version
of DirectX 9c.

Or even to UNINSTALL the Service pack 2 built in version of DirectX 9c and
reinstall the distribute runtime version. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows service pack wouldn directx
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Have you contacted the support section for the game itself? Seems to be an
    issue some people are running into, and they should be made aware of it:
    http://thesims2.ea.com/help/
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    > Hi, I know that Windows XP Service Pack 2 has DirectX 9C built in. But the
    > problem is many games 'eg. The Sims 2' does not run with the built in
    > Service Pack 2 version of DirectX 9C and the games would run with the
    > distribute End user runtime version of DirectX 9C.
    > And because WindowsXP with Service Pack 2 already has DirectX 9C it does
    > not
    > allow the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c to be install again. Is
    > there any way to override this default behaviour of Windows XP and allow
    > the
    > distribute runtime DirectX 9c to be install?????? I believe there are
    > certain files/registry keys missing for the Service Pack 2 integrate
    > version
    > of DirectX 9c.
    >
    > Or even to UNINSTALL the Service pack 2 built in version of DirectX 9c
    > and
    > reinstall the distribute runtime version. Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    the developers of the Sims2 are performing a bad version check, they need to
    patch the game.

    thats the first place to ask.

    second place is if MS will clean up the Sims2 mess for the developer.

    "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    > Hi, I know that Windows XP Service Pack 2 has DirectX 9C built in. But the
    > problem is many games 'eg. The Sims 2' does not run with the built in
    > Service Pack 2 version of DirectX 9C and the games would run with the
    > distribute End user runtime version of DirectX 9C.
    > And because WindowsXP with Service Pack 2 already has DirectX 9C it does
    > not
    > allow the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c to be install again. Is
    > there any way to override this default behaviour of Windows XP and allow
    > the
    > distribute runtime DirectX 9c to be install?????? I believe there are
    > certain files/registry keys missing for the Service Pack 2 integrate
    > version
    > of DirectX 9c.
    >
    > Or even to UNINSTALL the Service pack 2 built in version of DirectX 9c
    > and
    > reinstall the distribute runtime version. Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Chris,
    Like I said to you if I install the distribute runtime version
    of DirectX 9c. The game would run. Eg. Install on a Windows XP service pack
    1 or install on Windows 2000, the game would run fine. Because it can then
    install the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c. No, I don't think it's
    a problem with the Game The Sims2. Many other games are getting the same
    problem too. I have seen it happened many times throughout the years, even
    in the installation of Video card drivers.
    Eg, a computer already has DirectX 9c, but then I installed a video card
    drivers with the directX 9B distribute runtime. Sometimes the Video Card
    driver will failed to install. But if I install the Video card without the
    computer having Direct9c already present, it would install fine. Then I can
    upgraded to DirectX 9c without problems. I know this because I am a computer
    technician, and have install many video cards.
    It's like there are some files missing in the built in version of DirectX 9c
    or some registry key is not correct or something.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have you contacted the support section for the game itself? Seems to be
    an
    > issue some people are running into, and they should be made aware of it:
    > http://thesims2.ea.com/help/
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I know that Windows XP Service Pack 2 has DirectX 9C built in. But
    the
    > > problem is many games 'eg. The Sims 2' does not run with the built in
    > > Service Pack 2 version of DirectX 9C and the games would run with the
    > > distribute End user runtime version of DirectX 9C.
    > > And because WindowsXP with Service Pack 2 already has DirectX 9C it does
    > > not
    > > allow the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c to be install again.
    Is
    > > there any way to override this default behaviour of Windows XP and allow
    > > the
    > > distribute runtime DirectX 9c to be install?????? I believe there are
    > > certain files/registry keys missing for the Service Pack 2 integrate
    > > version
    > > of DirectX 9c.
    > >
    > > Or even to UNINSTALL the Service pack 2 built in version of DirectX 9c
    > > and
    > > reinstall the distribute runtime version. Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Joe, the separate download and the installed XP SP2 DirectX 9.0c are
    identical. The difference is with the Sims 2 not recognizing it properly.
    --

    > Hi Chris,
    > Like I said to you if I install the distribute runtime version
    > of DirectX 9c. The game would run. Eg. Install on a Windows XP service
    > pack
    > 1 or install on Windows 2000, the game would run fine. Because it can then
    > install the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c. No, I don't think
    > it's
    > a problem with the Game The Sims2. Many other games are getting the same
    > problem too. I have seen it happened many times throughout the years,
    > even
    > in the installation of Video card drivers.
    > Eg, a computer already has DirectX 9c, but then I installed a video card
    > drivers with the directX 9B distribute runtime. Sometimes the Video Card
    > driver will failed to install. But if I install the Video card without
    > the
    > computer having Direct9c already present, it would install fine. Then I
    > can
    > upgraded to DirectX 9c without problems. I know this because I am a
    > computer
    > technician, and have install many video cards.
    > It's like there are some files missing in the built in version of DirectX
    > 9c
    > or some registry key is not correct or something.
    >

    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you contacted the support section for the game itself? Seems to be
    > an
    >> issue some people are running into, and they should be made aware of it:
    >> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I know that Windows XP Service Pack 2 has DirectX 9C built in. But
    > the
    >> > problem is many games 'eg. The Sims 2' does not run with the built in
    >> > Service Pack 2 version of DirectX 9C and the games would run with the
    >> > distribute End user runtime version of DirectX 9C.
    >> > And because WindowsXP with Service Pack 2 already has DirectX 9C it
    >> > does
    >> > not
    >> > allow the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c to be install again.
    > Is
    >> > there any way to override this default behaviour of Windows XP and
    >> > allow
    >> > the
    >> > distribute runtime DirectX 9c to be install?????? I believe there are
    >> > certain files/registry keys missing for the Service Pack 2 integrate
    >> > version
    >> > of DirectX 9c.
    >> >
    >> > Or even to UNINSTALL the Service pack 2 built in version of DirectX 9c
    >> > and
    >> > reinstall the distribute runtime version. Thanks.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Chris, how do I get Games such as Sims 2 to recognise it properly??? I know
    lots of games are like that. Is there some sort of registry keys to
    change??

    > Joe, the separate download and the installed XP SP2 DirectX 9.0c are
    > identical. The difference is with the Sims 2 not recognizing it properly.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    > > Hi Chris,
    > > Like I said to you if I install the distribute runtime
    version
    > > of DirectX 9c. The game would run. Eg. Install on a Windows XP service
    > > pack
    > > 1 or install on Windows 2000, the game would run fine. Because it can
    then
    > > install the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c. No, I don't think
    > > it's
    > > a problem with the Game The Sims2. Many other games are getting the same
    > > problem too. I have seen it happened many times throughout the years,
    > > even
    > > in the installation of Video card drivers.
    > > Eg, a computer already has DirectX 9c, but then I installed a video card
    > > drivers with the directX 9B distribute runtime. Sometimes the Video Card
    > > driver will failed to install. But if I install the Video card without
    > > the
    > > computer having Direct9c already present, it would install fine. Then I
    > > can
    > > upgraded to DirectX 9c without problems. I know this because I am a
    > > computer
    > > technician, and have install many video cards.
    > > It's like there are some files missing in the built in version of
    DirectX
    > > 9c
    > > or some registry key is not correct or something.
    > >

    > > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Have you contacted the support section for the game itself? Seems to
    be
    > > an
    > >> issue some people are running into, and they should be made aware of
    it:
    > >> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/
    > >> --
    > >> Chris H.
    > >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>

    > >> "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    But
    > > the
    > > Is

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.app_compat,microsoft.public.directx.graphics,microsoft.public.directx.misc,microsoft.public.directx.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    That's why I suggested contacting their support area. If the program is
    improperly recognizing already installed items as it should, that program
    needs to be changed.
    --

    > Chris, how do I get Games such as Sims 2 to recognise it properly??? I
    > know
    > lots of games are like that. Is there some sort of registry keys to
    > change??
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Joe, the separate download and the installed XP SP2 DirectX 9.0c are
    >> identical. The difference is with the Sims 2 not recognizing it
    >> properly.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Joe M" <huydottuanattpgdotcomdotau> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Chris,
    >> > Like I said to you if I install the distribute runtime
    > version
    >> > of DirectX 9c. The game would run. Eg. Install on a Windows XP service
    >> > pack
    >> > 1 or install on Windows 2000, the game would run fine. Because it can
    > then
    >> > install the distribute runtime version of DirectX 9c. No, I don't think
    >> > it's
    >> > a problem with the Game The Sims2. Many other games are getting the
    >> > same
    >> > problem too. I have seen it happened many times throughout the years,
    >> > even
    >> > in the installation of Video card drivers.
    >> > Eg, a computer already has DirectX 9c, but then I installed a video
    >> > card
    >> > drivers with the directX 9B distribute runtime. Sometimes the Video
    >> > Card
    >> > driver will failed to install. But if I install the Video card without
    >> > the
    >> > computer having Direct9c already present, it would install fine. Then I
    >> > can
    >> > upgraded to DirectX 9c without problems. I know this because I am a
    >> > computer
    >> > technician, and have install many video cards.
    >> > It's like there are some files missing in the built in version of
    > DirectX
    >> > 9c
    >> > or some registry key is not correct or something.
    >> >

    >> > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > be
    >> > an
    > it: