Can i keep my pc layed down? when off

Laying a tower case on its side for maintenance, such as installing the motherboard or a video card, is normal, and you want the computer off first for that. Make sure any optical media is removed first. Powering it on while it's still horizontal is risky, unless (as iceclock mentioned) your case is designed to be horizontal.

i find its much easier to install graphics cards, memory etc if its laying down and those pesky little front

panel connectors for power , reset etc

i should have said can even lay it on its side when its on--but turn it off first then lay it down before

turning it back on--and not with the heatsink hanging downwards

reasons for turning it on laying it on its side

cant fit under the desk standing up :)

trouble shooting--ie remove one memory module power back up--need to remove another memory module and so forth checking all fans are spinning properly etc

obviously if its powered up use common sense

no drinks, pets , children etc

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It can be on it's side wither it's running or not. The only problem you might run into is if your optical drives be horizontal or not.

As far as hardware as long as it's not upside down (then I could see a problem due to weight) it's not gonna hurt anything as long as you're still getting decent airflow.

r-sky

Distinguished
May 8, 2007

Just make sure the switch on the power supply is off too. There is power supplied to the board by the psu unless it is off or unplugged.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Do a google search you will see it's not a big deal provided you arn't hurting the airflow to much and heat is still able to be easily pushed out. Obviously make sure you mobo is facing up and not down like I said before. And like I said before the optical drive may or may not end up having issues.

Also I would not advice sitting anything on top of it as the side panel isn't made to take weight like a top panel might me for a horizontal case.