weaviljt

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
So this is my first build.

CPU-Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
Video-EVGA Nvidia 560 ti
Motherboard-Gigabyte B75M-D3H
PSU-585W then 520W

So I'm not sure what happened, at first my computer worked fine, then when I moved it, it began tripping the breaker for my room. Then one day my computer just shut off while playing WoW, like it was unplugged. It wouldn't turn back on.

I originally bought a cheap Orion 585W psu. I guessed it was a problem with the power supply. I did a psu calculator and it only called for 485W. So I got replaced it with another, lesser wattage one assuming that it was just a cheap psu. However that too seems to have been a mistake. When I unplug the video card the computer turns on, however when plugged in, nothing.

Do I need a higher wattage psu or is there something wrong with the video card? Please help!

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Sounds like an issue of a poor PSU alright, probably can't deliver enough AMPS on the 12v rails. A 800w PSU is useless if it can't deliver enough current.

I don't know much more about amperage on the rails, but others in this forum do. The PSU is a part that you should NEVER skimp on, pay ~$100 for a good quality brand and don't cut corners.