Home Network + NAS

n-dru

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I'll be moving into my new home soon and I am thinking about setting up a network which will stream all my media on all my devices and displays/TVs.

Now I am at a point where I know I need to have the 'classical' wired setup of Modem->Router->Terminals.

Adding a NAS to the router will allow me to access all the files stored on it from any network connected PC. I can also access the NAS wirelessly, and if I add an HTPC and connect it to my main (and secondary) TVs I can play my content there too.

Questions:

1. Am I correct or have I said a load of crap?

2. Does the WIRELESS signal of the NAS (I have to connect to TVS wirelessly) depend on the signal strength of the router or the actual NAS?

RealBeast

Titan
You can easily set up your network to do those things.

The router's wireless signal will be your limiting factor on streaming, the NAS wired to the router will not be the bottleneck.

Just think about the actual connection -- the remote HTPC will connect wirelessly to the router and the router will have a wired connection to the NAS -- the HTPC connects to the NAS through the router. Any modern router and NAS will use gigabit Ethernet connections.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Does your nas have wireless built in?

Your nas should be directly plugged in to your router. Then you wireless devices like the TVs will be able to access the NAS through your router.
So in answer to your question the wireless signal depends on the signal strength of the router, because your nas will be using the router's wireless to talk to the wireless devices.