Connecting a Ethernet switch to ATT UVERSE 3800GV RG

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Has any one done this. I connected a switch and the device is not even recognized in my router site. What is happening? Any comments, help PLEASE

We've got one going to one of the computers and one settop box in one room of the house and it works fine -- do you have a device hooked up to the switch or just the empty switch so far ? -- IIRC it doesn't show the switch on the network diagram just the computer that is connected through it.

RealBeast

Titan

Agreed, the switch won't have an ip address, only the connected devices will appear in the router ip address table.

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I did exactly this and looked into the RG's device settings-its not there

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

OK I was looking for the switch to show as a device. But I connected the magic jack and my laptop to the switch ports and still no device recognized in the RG device setting

RealBeast

Titan
If you type ipconfig in the command prompt window on your computer, what gateway address is listed?

If your OS is Windows 7, you can go into the Network and Sharing Center control panel and to the right side of Home Network click on Local Area Connection, click on the Details button and it will list the computer IPv4 address and the IPv4 gateway address.

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.75
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

This is what the response is when I run the ipconfig from the host computer that is also connected to a port of the RG. When I do it from the laptop it only states media disconnected.. I can connect the laptop wirelessly using the RG wireless connection but I cannot connect using the EN via LAN card in the laptop. I only did this because I want to attach a switc to my router to give me extra ports. The switch was connected to a Magic jack and since it did not show up in the router devices I tried with the laptop by disabling the WLAN connection.
Thanks for your help-I hope it helps you in seeing the big picture. My Host computer is a Windows 7x64 qnd the laptop is XP

RealBeast

Titan
Take the Magic Jack out of the network while trying to solve the laptop connection issue. That alone may solve your connection issue.

Take a look through your router user manual for turning the connection on to the laptop, if you don't have one -- use THIS one, which is very similar.

You may also want to check to see if the XP laptop is getting a dynamic address by going into the network control panel, click properties, highlight Client for Microsoft Networks and click the Properties button on that page. It should have your settings listed there.

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Magic jack is working fine on another port. Its the laptop that is not connected. I see in the router devices it showing up, but it has no connectivity and keeps on acquiring IP address. I see it trying and the connection is of few seconds at best. always flickering. There are no settings in the XP under"clients for Microsoft Networks" it has some RPC statement which is not selectable by me. Thanks and let me know if you think of something. I will get a new Cat5 cable just to make sure its not damaged. Most other cables are neatly twist tied and I do not want to mess up, so I will buy one and try it. Again thanks for your inputs.
Cheers!

lalloo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Thanks for your diligence and support. I found the cause was a bad cat5 cable-It was brand new but obviously DOA. I replaced the cable and every thing is fine incuding Magic jack which shows up as Unknown device. thanks