Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time AMD desktop build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 23, 2013 3:29:22 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week - a month

Budget Range: ~$1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: programming, gaming, web browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com / amazon.com

Location: NC, USA

Parts Preferences: AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: I want to have two 1080p LED backlit monitors 23"- 27"

Additional Comments:

Hi, Tom's community. This is my first post, and first time build. I just graduated from college and want to build a desktop. I have already ordered the FX8350 cpu, Thor v2-w full tower, gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo, and the microsoft sidewinder x4 gaming keyboard. I have also been reading on the forum and decided on the rest of my build being something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2i3

Like I said the case, cpu, keybard, and mobo I have already ordered, but I would like to get you guys opinion on the rest.

Thanks,

Ajop

More about : time amd desktop build

January 23, 2013 3:46:26 AM

It would be dumb to get a AMD cpu on a $1500 build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($192.16 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.30 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1258.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 00:46 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 3:50:12 AM

A lot of overkill on the power supply . A 500 watt psu will run that computer . Onlu use a 750 watt if you might crossfire the 7950's

The samsung 840 SSD would be an option too
m
0
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 3:55:51 AM

Thanks blake, but I have already decided on AMD. My budget is just set that high because I want two monitors and need everything new, except a mouse. Here are the parts separated out:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2i3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2i3/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z2i3/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.62 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($137.67 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23.0" Monitor ($154.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23.0" Monitor ($154.90 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1625.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 00:54 EST-0500)
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:01:33 AM

Its your choice to get less performance for around the same price, not mine. Instead of getting a product because of brand why don't you consider price/performance? I'm not trying to be mean, but you just seem ignorant.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:09:12 AM

Blake, I appreciate your opinion, but this is an AMD build thread. I support AMD and I have enjoyed using products run by their CPUs. Plus they are cheaper *thumbs up*
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:13:13 AM

ajop19 said:
Blake, I appreciate your opinion, but this is an AMD build thread. I support AMD and I have enjoyed using products run by their CPUs. Plus they are cheaper *thumbs up*

I assumed you mean AMD GPU when i clicked on thread. No one here takes AMD cpu's seriously when you are taking about a $1000+ budget. And the 8350 is $20 cheaper than the 3570k. The 3570k by FAR the better option when it comes to gaming.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:15:39 AM

Dont be put off by the intel fanboys
The gaming experience will be identical whether you use an AMD or intel processor.
In some situations the AMD will make higher frame rates . In a few older games it wont do as well because of the games programming wont let it use all the cores

That seasonic psu is a quality item . Modular means that the internal cables unplug so that can help keep things tidier . I use an almost identical unit [ but branded as a Corsair] and its so quiet I had to touch it to tell the fan was running
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:21:20 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Dont be put off by the intel fanboys
The gaming experience will be identical whether you use an AMD or intel processor.
In some situations the AMD will make higher frame rates . In a few older games it wont do as well because of the games programming wont let it use all the cores

That seasonic psu is a quality item . Modular means that the internal cables unplug so that can help keep things tidier . I use an almost identical unit [ but branded as a Corsair] and its so quiet I had to touch it to tell the fan was running

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

I like AMD, but not in $1000 builds. You WILL get better FPS with the 3570k don't act like it won't.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:25:52 AM

Compared to the i5 build system you built:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.62 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($137.67 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1140.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 01:21 EST-0500)

New budget. Lets get all these parts closer to $1000!
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:32:23 AM

Yeah to save some money I will go with a lower wattage PSU like that Seasonic or a Corsair equal. That compare tool is very cool btw. But Intel vs AMD aside, my toughest decision is deciding if I will use or need a $200-$300 GPU. I find myself trying to future proof my new build so upgrades will not be needed anytime soon.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 4:39:38 AM

A high end GPU will definitely be worth it if you like lots of eyecandy. If you don't wanna get the 7950 the 7870 will max out just about every game at 60fps.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 5:55:35 AM

blake1243 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

I like AMD, but not in $1000 builds. You WILL get better FPS with the 3570k don't act like it won't.



My best guess is that anandtech is sponsored by intel . Their benches are a classic case of asking the wrong question and thinking the answer is gold .
A benchmark run at such low resolutions and image settings tells you absolutely NOTHING about the performance of a computer at high resolution and image details

m
0
l

Best solution

January 23, 2013 6:26:17 AM

ajop19 said:
Compared to the i5 build system you built:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z67L/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.62 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($137.67 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1140.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 01:21 EST-0500)

New budget. Lets get all these parts closer to $1000!


Nice build.
PSU is still overkill, a 550-650w from Corsair or Seasonic would be more than enough

I'd recommend to look at the Intel 520 or Samsung Pro 840 SSDs. (From my experience with our company's dev pcs are that the current Intel 520s seem to handle all the read writes where as the previous OCZ died a few months in)

A 7870 should be more than good enough for day-2-day work and average gaming. 7950 if you want to put in some serious gaming hours :p 

Screen wise, 27" 1080p look fuzzy when sitting close to it, stick to 24" 1080p, if you can, then get a single 1440p 27" and add 2nd 1440p a few months down the line.
Share
January 23, 2013 4:24:04 PM

Alright guys from all the feedback I may end up going with this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z9An
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z9An/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z9An/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.62 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($235.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($137.67 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($45.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1058.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 13:23 EST-0500)

Plus two 23" 1080p monitors
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 9:41:06 PM

Looks good! Now click "Buy"

Enjoy your new pc.
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 3:58:25 AM

Best answer selected by ajop19.
m
0
l
!