Questions about Dual CPUs and GTX680s on a Z9PE-D8 WS

locavoid

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello everyone.
I got a new system for After Effects & 3ds Max and gaming last month: Gigabyte GTX680(GV-N680OC-2GD)*2, Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board, Samsung DDR3 1600 ECC 8G*8, Intel Xeon E5-2680*2,Plextor M3P 256G SSD, WD Black 2TB and a HP ZR24W monitor. However,there were two problems occurred:

1.every time the system powered on, a problem will happen randomly: there is no signal output to the monitor, but actually, the system starts well (I used Teamviewer to check). Only after 2-3 times reboot the monitor can receive the signal. I checked the cables, used DP and HDMI to displace the DVI, and pluged the cable to different ports on the cards, but the problem still exists. I put the monitor to other computers and tested,and I got another monitor on my system and tested - no problems. Seems only when this monitor meets my cards the problem will happen.

2.The board has 7 PCI-E slots and because of the heat sink and chassis I had to put one card on a X8 ,the other card on a X16. I have the Windows 8 Pro and 310.70 Driver on my system, and there is no problem when I using the After effects and other softwares. But there's a problem in almost all games: the GPU load is low. Seems like there are only two games runs perfectly: Battlefield 3 & Crysis 2. I used the MSI Afterburner to monitor the status of the cards in games, and in these games both GPU's load is stable around 85-95. But in other games like Crysis, Saints Row and many others, both card can only run at a 45-50% load - or even lower. And in the games that doesn't support SLi , for example, Need for speed Most Wanted, the single GPU's load is low around 40-50%, and the fps is poor. Tried to disable SLi in NV panel but the problem didn't solved. Compared to the results by others, my 3D Mark 11's score is good.

Also tested on Windows 7 Ultimate but got the same result.

And I noticed this on my board's manual:

PCIE 1,3 - CPU 1,x16
PCIE 5,7 - CPU 2,x16
PCIE 6 - CPU 2,x8
PCIE 2,4 - CPU 2,x8

I put my card on PCIE 3,6 for the cards can only be installed like this in my chassis.
Is this linked to the problems above? Or other reasons?

Thanks a lot.

The PCIE slots on your dual cpu board are linked to either cpu1 or cpu2. The way you plugged your gpu's is the worst case! That's the reason for the low load. A dual cpu system seams to be a total overkill in this case, cause non of the listed programs will benefit from all the cores. An i7 system with higher single thread performance would have been the better choice.

locavoid

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Then what is the right way to plug the cards in a dual system like this..Should I plug the cards in slots that link to the same CPU? Thanks a lot!