Sign in with
Your question

Asus HD7870 DirectCU II performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2012 7:36:13 AM

Hi, I just bought a new rig. A 10 year worth of upgrade :D 
I just want to ask few questions about my VC since I'm a bit newbie to these stuffs. I have an Asus 7870. At first I had a problem where I get artifacts to games like Crysis 2 and GTA IV. It even crashes to desktop. I downloaded MSI Afterburner as advised to me in a different forum. I set the fan control to a certain curve suggested to me. Since then the artifacts were gone but still has occasional crashes. my questions are:

1. Does it really produce much noise when fan is in 100%? or it's normal?
2. Is it normal that my GPU temp reach 70-80 C when playing games such as GTA IV and Crysis 2?
3. I installed iCEnhancer for GTA IV. I set everything to max except view and detail distance. I play at 1920x1080 but
I only get 15-25 fps. Even I set the resolution to 800x600 the fps remains the same. Is that normal?

I'm not really satisfied with the performance I get from my GPU.
Thanks to anyone who can answer all of my noob questions
PC Specs:

Intel i5 3570k 3.4 Ghz
Asus 7870 2GB
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Asus V-LK

More about : asus hd7870 directcu performance

December 10, 2012 1:34:20 AM

There is something wrong with the card, I would RMA it. Your cpu is not a bottleneck and you have a ton of memory. As for temperatures, maybe your case does not have good airflow (for GPU's that don't use a blower style cooler, I always recommends at least two fans intaking air in your case, and two fans exhausting) which would explain the higher temperatures, but still, cards CAN go that high when playing a game (if I leave my 7870 fanspeed at 40, I hit slightly below 60 on games, but with furmark I hit 69 degrees) and they should not have performance issues until the hit high 80's to 90's. I feel like the cooler is not sitting right, so your GPU is getting ok cooling, but maybe other components on the video card are not. RMA it man.
m
l
December 10, 2012 6:44:50 AM

What power supply are you running? GPU temps are normalish.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 1:38:09 PM

I use Huntkey 600W. Wait what's RMA? I'm sorry coz I bought it physically in a store and I don't really know stuffs like that. Is that related to online purchase? I've read that somewhere :D 
Anyway, so scorpinock2,you have 7870 too? can you tell me the performance you get to the games I play?
I play Crysis 2,GTA 4 w/ iCENhancer and Max Payne 3. Thanks :) 
m
l
December 10, 2012 3:22:29 PM

Huntkey....fun. They make some pretty poor power supplies.
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:14:58 PM

Really? it might be the cause? is it really that bad? damn...should I replace it?
m
l
December 12, 2012 10:46:40 PM

Well, it would definitely be worthwhile to replace. Even if that is not the problem, you still get a nice new power supply that is going to last much longer than that Huntkey.
m
l
December 12, 2012 11:31:30 PM

I recommend you replace the power supply with a good quality unit before you proceed with RMAing the card, a faulty PSU and in this case a cheap no name brand can cause allot of headaches when trying to diagnose a problem.
m
l
!