Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help- New Computer randomly shuts down when gaming

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2013 3:57:49 AM

my specs:
Ram: 1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.5v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with Corsair.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor £155
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard £80
Graphics Card: MSI HD 7870 Black Knight OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [R7870-2GD5T/OC] £180
HDD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive £40
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case £40
PSU:600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply £50
DVD burner: Samsung SH-118AB/BEBE Black 18x SATA DVD ROM - OEM £10
okay so i build my first system about 3 weeks ago, and everything was going great until yesterday when playing wow after about four hours, my computer shut down. no BSOD, nothing, when booted it promted that windows did not shut down properly, so i set windows to not automatically restart next time so it would show some form of error and continued on, until today after playing a games for a good 4-6 hours suddenly the screen went completely black, and the computer quickly turned off and back on, but was not responsive at all, so i had to hold the power button to turn it off. i ran windows memory diagnostic once on standard, it went through fine, i tried to run it again and it stayed on 21% for about thirty minutes. this could of been down to my impatience, or it could of frozen i dont know, but i did not complete the second tests. i have been monitoring the tempretures of both my CPU and GPU since day one and they have hit a max of 65C, with the average usually about 55C when gaming. looking at the event center, the shut down report is : - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-22T20:30:33.573205400Z" />
<EventRecordID>9428</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Witchell-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Any help at all would be fantastic, thank you very much!
January 23, 2013 4:16:43 AM

Make sure all cables are securely fastened to their respective spots and after that this kind of problem is usually a power supply going bad
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 1:13:35 PM

try stress CPU fist with prime95
then
try stress GPU 7870 with furmark for 5-10 minutes
if they both success

run both of them

i think the culprit is psu...
both furmark/prime will draw so much power and if it shutdown
PSU!!
Related resources
January 23, 2013 1:30:39 PM

do i run them both at the same time?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 1:37:49 PM

yes, to test/stress the PSU, both CPU+GPU have to be 100%
January 23, 2013 1:49:39 PM

AMD Radeon said:
try stress CPU fist with prime95
then
try stress GPU 7870 with furmark for 5-10 minutes
if they both success

run both of them

i think the culprit is psu...
both furmark/prime will draw so much power and if it shutdown
PSU!!

sorry where do i get funmark?
January 23, 2013 2:16:37 PM

?
January 23, 2013 2:27:30 PM

Anything else you need message me
January 23, 2013 2:31:26 PM

SCORE:2859 points (47 FPS, 60000 ms)
So on the Furmark thats the resuts, dont know what any of this means tbh lol
prime95 is still running, my CPU is getting hotter then ever but no shutdown. any advice?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 3:09:28 PM

Also, need to run Memtest on your RAM - could always be a bad stick. Other thought would just be to run with one stick at a time and see if that has an impact.

I had a similar problem with an older 8800GTX that was dying. Fine surfing the web but would crash the whole system under load. It's unlikely to be your GPU, but you never know.
January 23, 2013 3:18:37 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Also, need to run Memtest on your RAM - could always be a bad stick. Other thought would just be to run with one stick at a time and see if that has an impact.

I had a similar problem with an older 8800GTX that was dying. Fine surfing the web but would crash the whole system under load. It's unlikely to be your GPU, but you never know.

I dont think its the GPU, as its been running games fine on all high for the first three weeks, it sounds like its either the PSU or RAM, im testing with memtest now, when thats done how could i test to see if its the PSU thats faulty?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 3:23:20 PM

google : psu test

and you will find some article/youtube
paperclip trick only to test dead psu/not. you dont need it
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 3:32:56 PM

How long did you run prime95 and furmark together? It should be for some time longer than you go before a crash, so maybe 8 hours?

Seen people recommend running memtest for 24 hours.

If the CPU, GPU, PSU, and RAM all pass the test then could be a MS patch that went wonky or even a WoW update. That might require a reload :( 

Also, do you have any USB (or other devices) plugged in besides the mouse/monitor/keyboard? I'd take those off to eliminate them as a problem.

If you're overclocking RAM or CPU, set that back to stock as well - could just do a BIOS reset.

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud.
January 23, 2013 3:57:19 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
How long did you run prime95 and furmark together? It should be for some time longer than you go before a crash, so maybe 8 hours?

Seen people recommend running memtest for 24 hours.

If the CPU, GPU, PSU, and RAM all pass the test then could be a MS patch that went wonky or even a WoW update. That might require a reload :( 

Also, do you have any USB (or other devices) plugged in besides the mouse/monitor/keyboard? I'd take those off to eliminate them as a problem.

If you're overclocking RAM or CPU, set that back to stock as well - could just do a BIOS reset.

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud.

thanks for all the suggestions, id take any advice atm lol. i only ran prime95 and furmark for like 5 minutes if that, i guess i should leave it on after memtest. no overclocking, and no usb devices plugged in apart from keyboard and mouse, and my VGA converter if that could cause it lol.
also just had a look at my computer and the test looks like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvpIawr8-s&feature=yout...
Is this normal, it looks extremely odd.
January 23, 2013 4:31:56 PM

well? any info on the video?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 4:55:11 PM

I'm not familiar with memtest enough to know what it should/shouldn't look like - been a long time since I tried it.

Memtest experts chime in!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 10:42:39 PM

Run memtest pretty much if you have errors you'll know by all the red lines reporting errors lol.
January 24, 2013 4:07:50 PM

Okay update, after a day later and using only one stick of ram and leaving out the stick i thought was "defective" the PSU decided to die, so i presume it was that all along. it tries to start up the computer and the blue light comes on, then it turns back off, then it tries again and turns back off, and continues to try. i presume this means the psus dead right?
January 24, 2013 5:07:00 PM

that does sound like a PSU fail right guys?
!